Wednesday, June 7, 2017

This is Two

DSC_0685a 

I love all of the baby stages as I'm an equal opportunity baby stages lover, but age two is one of my favorites for sure. They are learning so much every day and it's exciting to see them turn into little humans with opinions of their own. The exciting parts are nestled right in between the tantrums, but, it is exciting nonetheless.

Laney turned two a couple of weeks months ago and the vastness of her personality is astounding to me! So much packed into those 25 pounds. For those that know us personally - Charley is me through and through. Laney, rightfully so, is John. And John also has a ton of personality. It's fun (and admittedly sometimes frustrating) to parent a child that is so much like my husband. And of course, she's TWO, so some of the frustrating parts may just be because she's two and not that she's inherently difficult. We'll reassess the difficult factor once we move out of the toddler years.

Untitled

Laney likes things done her way, on her terms, and things need to be her idea. Even if her way is exactly the same way you just did yourself. She will undo what you did and redo it on her own. Whether that is moving her drink back from the edge of the table, putting a bite of food on her fork, picking up a toy off of the ground - all things she has undone just so she could redo them herself.

I have spent a lot of time in the glider in her room over the last 6 years between Charley and now Laney. I think back fondly to falling asleep in that chair with a tiny Charley on my chest or rocking Laney back to sleep in it during the middle of the night, not to mention the hours and hours I spent nursing them in it. I've read books to both girls in it for 6 years, too. Nothing beats having one of their sweet, sleepy bodies in my lap and reading them their favorite books. They are at just the right height to get a million kisses on their heads and I just love every single thing about it.

Untitled

Well. Laney has her own ideas about how this time should work. She now sits in the chair BY HERSELF, usually lounged across the chair and both arm rests. I've been evicted to the ottoman and I now sit there to read books to Laney. I need to pick up a palm frond so I can also fan her each night as she winds down.

One of Laney's newest and favorite phrases is "No way!" and sometimes even "No way Jose!"

I posted a video on Instagram about the way Laney pronounces "Bunny" on April 15th. Bunny is the name of her lovey blankets and as long as she's been able to babble, she's called them "Duh Duh". Sounded very similar to Dada sometimes, so you had to use your context clues to figure out what she needed. In the video I am basically laughing at the fact that even though she can enunciate the two syllables of bunny very well, she refuses to put them together correctly and instead prefers duh duh.



Well. That backfired. She dropped that incorrect pronunciation only a few days after that and has never looked back. Bunny is now buh-nee and "duh duh" is down there resting in the Memory Dump with Bing Bong.

Rice is her favorite food. Fried rice, Mexican rice, white rice - she won't discriminate!

My goodness this child loves to sing. Favorites are Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle, the ABCs, and the Itsy Bitsy Spider. She likes for you to sing along - until she doesn't - and will promptly give you a SHH!

Untitled

We are 0 for 3 on her enjoying carousels. One time I gave up and sat in the bench thingy - which was my first time ever riding the bench on a carousel. Another time I ran out of negotiation tactics too late so I ended up holding her on my hip while we stood beside a horse that she refused to sit on.

Untitled 

But, give her a spinny dippy theme park ride and she LOVES it. This particular ride makes many adults feel sick and it is the one Laney loves the most. But don't dare put her on a carousel horse. Makes sense.

She still naps twice a day about 50% of the time I'd guess. We are moving away from the two-naps-a-day thing, but she's not all the way there yet. Bedtime is at 8.

She's wearing a 2T and is just about in a size 6 shoe. We are finishing up size 4 diapers and I'll buy size 5 next. It is time to start thinking about potty training, but she is adamantly against it. I still have the potty chair out and we talk about it a little each day, but she is very much against it right now. I'll give it some more time.

She HATES getting her teeth brushed. (I remember Charley being the exact same way at this age though.) STRONGLY DISLIKES having her hair brushed and a bow added. I can at least somewhat get away with doing that most days though. Currently HATES baths, so we have been showering with her instead. (Another Charley similarity because Charley also went through the exact same bath-hating phase.)


DSC_0833

She plays pretend pretty well, and mimics everything Charley does. 

Mornings during the week consist of me going in to wake her up and get her out of her crib. I always come equipped with a cup of milk and she always starts smacking her lips soon after she opens her eyes. After she's had a couple of swigs she always asks for the exact same thing - "See Daddy?" So I carry her to find her Daddy so she can get some snuggles from him each morning, too.

She's started saying "luff you" and I just melt into a puddle every time I hear it.

She tries to police what you say to her. For example, "Laney I like your dress!" can be met with "NO! Laney dress. You no like." Or if you walk up and say "Hi Laney!" you may be met with "NO! No hi Laney."

Time outs are not very effective with her. When she hits Charley and I send her to time out, that is usually met with a sweet "OTAY!" and she runs off to put herself in time out. She will sit there the entire two minutes and gives out "SOWWEE"s and hugs when it is over. She totally gets the concept, but I don't think it's doing much to prevent bad behavior.

But that tough exterior houses the sweetest little girl inside. She's SO cuddly and very lovey and despite most pictures, is a happy and smiley tiny girl. I can't wait (or maybe I can) to see how she does in preschool this fall. It will always be an adventure with Laney, but one that I am enjoying and can't wait to see where it goes.

DSC_0853a

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Happy belated birthday to Laney! What a funny, lovable little character she is. And btw, your hair is really cute in the pictures!