Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Laney Lately

Laney's 24 pounds and 33 inches contain a ton of personality at almost 21 months old. Here's a snapshot of how she is right now.

(Also, before I write these I like to go back and see what Charley was doing at the same age and wow - so many similarities that I hadn't even realized at this age!)


In Laney language...


  • ruff (as in the sound a dog makes) and fish sound the same
  • Dada and bunny almost sound the same too. (Bunny is pronounced "duhduh" while Dada is, obviously, "dahdah")
  • "Thank you" is simply the sounds you would make if you were saying thank you with a mouth full of water. Phonetically, I'd say 'unkh uhnn' with the same intonation we use to say thank you.
  • Saying please is my very favorite word of hers right now. She leaves out the "L", and adds a little -sh action to the end. There's a video of this cuteness on Instagram (@laceyloo22).
  • She's got some other words, but most of our "conversations" these days are derived from catching those few words and using context clues for the rest. 
  • Her animal sounds, though, are pretty amazing. She's got a super realistic horse and cow and cat.
UntitledUntitled

Favorite things...


  • animals: ducks, cats, chicken and fish
  • foods: rice, tomatoes, french fries, green beans and even brussel sprouts. (leaving out treats, because, duh.)
  • toys: Little People, dollhouses or anything of the sort, baby dolls, & bags of any sort...loves to pack a bag of stuff and throw it over her shoulder and say bye! Also, whatever Charley is playing with.
  • books: Just like Charley loved at this age, the Matthew Van Fleet books are her favorites. She got this set for Christmas and we read at least one of those books a day. Also loves this one (Toes, Ears and Nose) and any of the First Words type of books.
  • clothing: jackets and boots, and really, any shoes at all.

Laney being Laney....


Laney is definitely more challenging than Charley ever was. She's got a lot of spunk and opinions in that tiny body which can make things rather difficult at times.

  • Lately at meal times, Laney will NOT use her high chair or booster seat. She wants to sit on the bench at the table just like Charley. Only, she's too short, so she sits on her knees which can be slippery and she has fallen off once. She likes to get up and down a million times, and the only thing that seems to help is if we are all sitting at the table while she eats. Obviously, this cannot always be the case for all 3 of us to sit with her anytime she eats, so mealtimes have been a battle I have not figured out how to win yet. She also dictates which seat I need to sit in to accompany her meals. My goodness this child, y'all.
Untitled
  • She whines most days all the way home, UNLESS she has a snack. When my dad picks them up he stops and gets them chicken nuggets before he gets there. And then! THEN! Once the snack has made her thirsty she whines for "WAWA PEASE!" the rest of the way home. She does not care that you do not have any water for her in the vehicle. This actually wouldn't be that hard to curb if I'd just remember to bring snacks and water every time she's in the car...
  • On the flip side, Laney loves loves loves sleep. Which, as many parents would agree, basically cancels out anything and everything negative I could say about her temperament. But is usually very happy to take a nap or go to sleep, and often giggles when I lay her in the crib and cover her up. She often sleeps in until almost NINE on the weekends. Love this child!
  • We got some wintry stuff a couple weekends ago - a typical NC mix of maybe a tiny bit of snow on top of freezing rain and then sleet. But, since that could be it as far as white stuff on the ground goes for the rest of our winter, we have to go outside and try to play in it anyway. Laney was not a fan. Cried if I put her down. But wanted to stay outside to see what Charley was doing. So I had to hold her the whole time which my back paid for the next day. She doesn't weigh that much, but add a bunch of layers on both of us and she didn't quite fit on my hip as nicely. 
Untitled

  • Tantrums. Aren't these supposed to wait until she's at least 2?
UntitledUntitled


  • When I'm not home, John says Laney doesn't do most of these things, though. She will use her high chair, no tantrums, no constant whining for Mama or for this or that. What does that mean?! Is it just the old saying that children are the worst for their mothers, or does she think she gets away with more from me? 

Other Laney tidbits...

  • Laney can drink from an open cup and use a fork and spoon pretty well without too much of a mess.
  • We've gotten the toddler puzzles out a few times, but she wasn't quite getting them yet. Then, over the weekend I got them back out and she did them all in minutes! So weird how things just click all of a sudden.
  • She's FINALLY getting her last two teeth. The two teeth on either side of her front bottom teeth (lateral incisors) are finally coming in. She has all of her other teeth minus her 2 year molars already, so at her last pediatrician appointment we talked about how she may never get those two teeth since they are pretty late. I'm glad to see them come in, finally!
  • She's shown some interest in using the potty, so I did drag out the ol' potty chair. I'm not quite ready to tackle that, but I'll try somewhat soon. The method we used with Charley that worked so amazingly well suggests 22 months as the ideal age which is just a little over a month away, but we waited until 26ish months with Charley so I may wait a bit longer.
  • Like most other younger siblings, Laney observes and copies everything Charley does. Charley sometimes has to go to her room and shut her door to get some space from her pestering baby sister.

Untitled
Here, Laney went to the bathroom and carried this step stool all the way into the kitchen to mimic exactly what Charley was doing.
  • Laney loves a show on Netflix called Hi-5. It is a British singing/dancing show for children. There's another show on Netflix called Mother Goose Club that she is starting to really like too (thank goodness because I'm about Hi-5ed out) and even more recently Sesame Street has been a winner.
  • As I mentioned on the DITL post, Laney got her first real haircut a couple weeks ago. I didn't really give enough direction before the stylist got started (I'm bad about that - glad my regular stylist knows my normal) and I only really said I wanted to even it up. We'd been fighting  mullet status for a while so I just decided I was ready. 
UntitledUntitled

So, she cut off more than I was thinking. I did insist she not touch the bangs because I hate keeping up with those, but in between trying to just keep Laney from crying and from sticking her hands in between the scissor's blades, I just sort of didn't pay much attention to the length. When she was done - although super cute - it took a while for me (and everyone!) to get used to it. But now. Oh my goodness. Looking back at those pictures above - I'm wondering what took me so long! It's ADORABLE and so perfect for her. 

UntitledUntitled

  • She's currently wearing either 18 month or 24 month or 2T clothing. (That's a 24 month Carter's jacket with the sleeves rolled up above. But, the best fitting jeans she owns are 2T from Old Navy.) The sizes are so wonky brand to brand. She's in a size 5 shoe and has been for some time. 
  • Laney loves to be outside just like the rest of her family. Due to some extra warm weather this weekend, she was even allowed to play with water in the outdoor kitchen my mom has set up for them. She was filthy dirty and loving it. Those aren't shadows on her face - that's just dirt.

Untitled

There's so much I could say about my sweet Bug. She's so little and so big. I signed her up for Fall 2017 preschool this week which is SUCH a big girl thing. But when I wrap her up in the infant bath towels, she's still such a little thing. 

Untitled

Love you & all your spunk, Laney Bug!

No comments: