Friday, December 16, 2016

Charley Lately

Untitled


Current likes:

Barbies
Monster High
TV (Netflix)
iPad (You Tube)
Stuffed Animals
Shopkins
Scooby Doo

Untitled


All of our former clothing struggles have left us. Charley wears jeans! Coats! Pajamas with PANTS! Basically whatever Mama chooses for the day. She still loves dresses also, but variety in her wardrobe has served her well.


Her eating habits have taken a slide backwards. Even go to vegetables like broccoli and green beans have been a struggle sometimes lately. She's often "just not hungry" but once we get her eating, she tends to like what we are having. 


Untitled


Bedtime stall tactics include:

Playing a game
Reading a book. No! TWO books!
Needing water
"I'M SO HUNGRY."
Silly little things like not letting go of my hand after hugs and kisses and "pulling me over" on top of her. "JUST TWO MORE PULL OVERS MAMA!"
"One more short show??"
But, the good news is most of these are pretty easy to curb and she goes right to sleep and stays asleep.

At her 5 year old well check, she was 43.5" tall, and 44 pounds. She was also TERRIFIED of her shots. It was BAD BAD BAD. Screaming, flailing, all of it.


DSC_0810


Charley loves our weekends. Stay-at-home days are her favorite. It does give me a bit of Mama guilt that every day isn't a stay-at-home day, but then I remember that if we were always at home, she likely wouldn't love our time at home quite as much. Definitely a grass is greener situation. So, instead I'm grateful she simply loves to be at home with her family so very much.



Charley and Laney are definitely playing independently together these days. Especially now that the basement is getting a lot of use, those two just go downstairs, Charley turns Netflix or music on for them and they just play down there all by themselves. Charley is great with Laney, MOST of the time. 


Untitled

Of the two, Charley is our earlier riser. 7:30 or 8:00 is pretty typical on weekends. 


She recognizes and can write all of her letters now. Preschool really helped because she didn't show interest on her own at home. I can see the beginnings of her learning to read though and that's pretty exciting!


She's all about being in the front of the line whether at school or gymnastics or even during swim lessons. I guess that's pretty typical though. 

Untitled

Charley LOVES matching what Laney wears. And of course, I love it too.

Speaking of gymnastics, unfortunately Charley has inherited my non-athleticism it seems. However, the difference between her and I is that she WANTS to keep trying to get stuff when I was too embarrassed to keep trying. (Heck, sometimes I'm even embarrassed FOR her when I watch. And yet she doesn't seem fazed at all. Love her innocence.) I actually saw her legs go up instead of just around when attempting a cartwheel last week and I was SO proud of her for just getting to that part. 

She prefers fruity/sour candy over chocolate candy which is WRONG WRONG WRONG but so very RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT regarding her leftover Halloween candy.


DSC_0035

Charley's got a sensitive heart like me. She watched a cartoon on Netflix that was rated for ages 8+ (with our permission of course) and after it was over I realized why it was rated that way. The cartoon had something to do with a family's home catching on fire and they lost everything. (I know, I know. WHAT kind of cartoon even has that!?) Charley was pretty heartbroken though and cried and cried about how sad it was. And that she was afraid we'd lose our house. So we've had so many conversations about how the material things aren't important, as long as we all have each other still. (I think the show was Peabody and Sherman.)

  Charley was Angel Gabriel in her preschool play this week. She did SO good; I was so proud of her. As most parents are of their children, of course. I often see myself in Charley in the way she can be shy, but then I love being surprised by something like this where she is totally NOT like I was. She said she was nervous when she saw all of the people, but I couldn't tell a bit. 

 She is looking so much older to me these days. I don't know if it is just the jeans, or the new favorite hairstyle the "top knot" (messy bun on top of her head), but man. I can see glimpses of teenage Charley and no! It's going too fast!

Untitled 

 But then other times I look at her, and whew. There's my little girl again.

  Untitled



No comments: