Monday, November 9, 2015

Just Me & Charley

Saturday was yet ANOTHER rainy weekend day here. I feel really bad for any of the fall festival type businesses in our area this year as almost every weekend so far this fall has been rainy. So, when we woke up to yet another rainy day I knew we wouldn't be able to stay in the house all day and an outing would be necessary.

In an effort to not spend much money I decided our outing would consist of these stops:

A trip to the library to return books and check out new ones

A stop at Barnes & Noble to use a birthday gift card (we don't have one super close so it's always a special trip to be able to go spend it)

A visit to Toys R Us so Charley could find ideas for her Santa list


While getting ourselves ready Laney was pretty tired and was getting fussy so I decided I'd nurse her and put her down for a nap and just take Charley out instead. It's much easier to just take Charley and she appreciates the one on one time too. Laney hasn't been the greatest napper for us at home lately so I wasn't sure how it would go for John. But I was able to get her down and get myself ready and we were out of the door around 12:30.

Our first stop ended up being the gas station a couple miles from our house. While I'm about to pull out of the gas station I get a text from John.

  Untitled


Good grief. That nap lasted for all of twenty minutes. LANEY!! I call John back and ask if he wanted me to come back and get her so he could continue working on his project at home and he told me no and to just go ahead and he'd take care of her. So onward we went.

When we got close to the area where the Barnes & Noble and Toys R Us were located (they are right across the street from each other and by a shopping mall) I noticed that we were not the only ones that decided to shop today. Apparently the whole city had cabin fever and the exit ramp was backed up to the interstate. Luckily I knew a shortcut through a neighborhood so I skipped that traffic and went to the next exit.

We were just about to our first stop of Toys R Us when Charley tells me she may be getting carsick. She tends to feel that way when she gets hungry and we are in the car (obvs!). I asked her right before we left home if she wanted lunch and she declined (she slept until 9:00 that morning so we had a late breakfast & I believed her lunch would be later too). Change of plans. The Barnes & Noble is actually attached to the mall food court so I told her to hold it together for a couple more minutes and we'd get lunch first.


Untitled
Why yes. She is wearing a character shirt that has WORDS on it. My sister is very generous and bought this for her and laughed all the way to the register, I'm sure. :P

Whew. Crisis averted.

So after lunch in a very busy food court we moseyed on over to the bookstore. 

Charley ended up choosing Uni The Unicorn. A good choice for her (unicorn lover) and for me (not too long!). As we walked by the Barnes & Noble snack bar she asked for a treat & I just couldn't tell her no. Plus, do you see these smiles? Totally worth it.

  Untitled

After we ate our treats (of course I had one too) we hopped back in the car to go to Toys R Us. We only come here once or twice a year to get ideas for Christmas or birthdays. It's further than I usually drive and let's be real - I do almost all of my shopping online and normally they just cannot compete with prices online. But I knew we wouldn't be getting out of the store without buying something so I told her if she was good she could pick out something small.

Untitled 

We had a lot of fun wandering around and oohing and ahhing over all of the things she'd love to have. I opted to take pictures of things she wanted to ask for so she'd remember what to write on her list when she got home. Or, so SANTA would be able to add these to the Amazon wish list and not forget about them.

Untitled

Once she'd visited the very pink rows several times each and was sure she'd seen it all, she then began to look for something small to buy that day. Of course, nothing small is at kid eye level so everything she asked for was out of the budget I'd set in my head of ~$15. Finally though she found something that she really wanted. She's been really into Scooby Doo lately and although it was priced at $20 & therefore a little over budget, they were action figures that I knew she'd get a lot of play time out of so I agreed.

  Untitled

She played with these things ALL WEEKEND. And she turned her Shopkins ice cream truck into a Scooby Doo Mystery Van which I thought was pretty creative, too. I checked the price on Amazon once we got home and was very pleased to see the action figures were the same price on Amazon as they were in the store.

After we left the store she had no interest in going to the library any more. "My feet are so tired, Mama." so we headed home. Laney was napping, John was happy & project-ing, and Charley and I were happy too.

Take that dreary, rainy Saturday! If only we could do something about this dreary, rainy Monday now.

Untitled

2 comments:

sharon mercier said...

I saw dogs on her "wanted", will I maybe have at least 1 dog person outside my home????

JEN said...

I like one on one time with each child so much.