Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Four

Last Friday Charley turned four and I still cannot wrap my head around having a four year old. Something tells me every single year from here on out is going to feel this way. Like an annual wake-up call that your child is actually older than your brain has processed. And as soon as I adjust to realizing she is now a preschooler and not a toddler any longer like she is in my head, it will be time to adjust to her being a little school girl, and on and on. Time is tough, man.

Anyways. This is four.

DSC_0578

Four has brought a few new challenges - mainly fears and pickiness. For a child that could not swing high enough or go fast enough for as long as she's been mobile, she is all of a sudden developed some fears about going too fast or too high or even riding amusement park rides she's been on before and loved. Which, is good from a safety standpoint, but I feel like they are a little unfounded too and I don't want her to be a chicken like I was as a child. These fears sort of came out of nowhere so I'm hoping they decide to leave randomly too. And if not that's okay too.

The pickiness has surprised us too. While I AM a very picky eater and was even worse as a kid, Charley has really never been like that at all. But over the last couple of months, food after food has been moved over from the safe list to the yucky list for no reason at all. They aren't foods that I am not eating either that she's mimicking; these are foods she's LOVED and then all of a sudden just will not eat anymore. Like yogurt - yogurt that she ate every single day for breakfast for a year at least. Or spaghetti where she would previously eat bowl after bowl after bowl. Sometimes we can still convince her to eat these things but it is getting to be more and more of a challenge. Again, hope these food issues quietly exit from the door from which they arrived. They are not welcome!

Untitled
Teddy grahams are still on the good list. Imagine that.
Charley also became a big sister in this past year and I am so proud of how well she's transitioned. She truly LOVES Laney and has surprised us all at the lack of jealousy. That's not to say it's not ever there, but no where near as much as I was expecting since she was our only child for 3.5 years and was used to a ton of attention. She loves to tell people about her sister and I'll quote what she told the doctor's office receptionist last week in response to "Do you like being a big sister?"

"Yes! I love being a big sister. I'm so excited for her to get bigger so she can play with me. But then she won't be a baby anymore and that will be sad."
Untitled 


Charley can go from playing princesses while wearing a tiara and princess dress to throwing on some play clothes and shoes and making mud pies in 0 seconds flat. She truly enjoys both things so much and I'm glad she's not afraid to get dirty. She plays very well independently and can keep herself occupied for long periods of time with just a couple of Disney princesses and her imagination. She still asks us to play with her all day long, but if we are busy or just don't get to her in time she will just begin playing without us. I'd be lying if I said we don't use that to our own benefit sometimes.


165

Charley loves to make friends which I guarantee she did not get from me. Not that I didn't LIKE to make friends, but it was just more difficult for me to do being such a shy kid. Having a birthday party that included her friends this year was an absolute must to her. Over the weekend I overheard her ask another little girl within 5 minutes of meeting her at a bounce thing we visited, "Do you want to be my best friend?" She held hands and jumped with the perfect stranger and could not have been happier. I love the innocence at this age.

She was also in her first wedding in May and did such a good job. I really wasn't sure how she was going to do leading up to it. We talked about being a flower girl and read about it as well, but there is just no predicting a toddler (whoops there I go again) preschooler. Laney was just 3 weeks old at the time so Charley had just been through a big transition there and I of course was not getting great sleep, so I was worried about us both. My worries ended up being for nothing though.

View More: http://middlegray.pass.us/may-23-2015 

She walked out and properly dropped her flowers and smiled from ear to ear. She was so precious and loved every minute of it all. I was so proud of her. She even mostly stood still during the ceremony.

Charley is wearing mostly 5T now and a size TEN shoe. TEN! Those white flower girl shoes in the picture up there were a size 8! Looks like she's got Mama's big feet. She's at least 42" according to our own measurements at home, but we will confirm that at the doctor's office later this week. The scale at home says 36 pounds.

She goes to bed anywhere between 8:30 and 9 and wakes up anywhere from 7-9. She likes to keep a flashlight by her bed "just in case" and still takes her owlie blankets to bed with her. She still will take a nap for my sister - especially on preschool days. She has finally given over the pack n play to Laney though. I cannot believe she napped in that thing for almost 4 years! 

And finally, the annual questions.
1. What is your favorite color? Pink

2. What is your favorite toy? Horsey that opens and closes its eyes. (This was a hand-me-down toy from my niece, who coincidentally decided after she'd given it to Charley that she'd like it back. But my sister told her too bad and so it still remains in Charley's possession. Pretty popular horse, huh?)

3. What is your favorite fruit? Strawberries

4. What is your favorite TV show? My Little Pony

5. What is your favorite outfit? Rapunzel Dress

6. What is your favorite game? Hungry Hungry Hippos

7. What is your favorite animal? Kitty Cat (this hasn't changed in her entire four years)

8. What is your favorite song? Let It Go

9. What is your favorite book? Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Though I will say it took her quite a few minutes to come up with this one. I don't think she has a favorite favorite.)

10. Who is your best friend? Morgan and Nora (These are her two best buds at preschool. And last year her answer to this was Mama so wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

11. If you had $100 what would you buy? Princess Belle. A BIG one.

12. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Drive my car. You knew I was gonna say that right Mama?

13. What is your favorite drink? Memolade! You knew I was gonna say that too right Mama? Me: No, I thought orange juice was your favorite. Oh yeah that is my favorite too!

14. Where is your favorite place to go? Toys R Us (She has probably been to Toys R Us 4 or 5 times in her entire life. Ha.

15. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Twilight. Me: Anything else?? No.... Me: What about owlies? Oh yeah! And owlies.

16. What is your favorite snack? Doughnuts! (I don't think we've ever offered doughnuts as a snack at home. Ha. Nor do we usually buy any because if we did I'd eat them!)

17. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Cancakes (love that there are a few remaining mispronunciations!)

18. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Peanut Butter sandwich

19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Pizza

20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A Mermaid Princess




I just love this spunky four year old so much. Cannot wait to see what this age brings. Early indications point to age four being a tough one!

11950312_10154118065989325_5150191054738142240_o (1)
I'll post about her party in another post soon!


1 comment:

sharon mercier said...

That comment about being a big sister made me tear up!!! She is sooooooo sweet, how can you stand it???