Sunday, May 3, 2015

Laney's Birth Story: Part I - Charley's Day

So normally a birth story starts with some impending sign of labor that has just occurred. In my case with Charley it was my water breaking and then the running around to get ourselves to the hospital and all from there. But, in Laney's case we knew we had to be at the hospital on a certain day at a certain time so the prepping began before any signs of labor had really begun so there is much more of a relaxed pace to the beginning of this story. While going two weeks early with Charley was definitely nice because  I didn't have to deal with 3 additional weeks of pregnancy, the induction was actually really nice too because it gave me a deadline to the end of Charley's only child-dom, and I definitely wanted to make that time special too. So this will actually be disappointing for those of you looking for the actual birth details - this post won't have any of that! But tomorrow's will!

So, part one of Laney's birth came the day before she actually was birthed. This was Tuesday April 28th.

498

Here was my last bump picture, taken that morning at 9:30 or so one day shy of 41 weeks.

I had the day off of work and decided that it should be Charley day. Today was her last day of being an only child and it made me a little sad for her in the present. I KNOW that a sibling is a huge blessing in the long run, but for the next little bit it may be tough for her (or it may not be - we will see) and that did make me a little sad. So! First thing this morning when she wandered in my bedroom at 8:00 for the third day in a row (thank you Charley! You definitely earned this Charley Day by that action alone!) I told her we could do whatever she wanted to do today. My little homebody girl simply said "I want to stay home all day and play with you.". Even with some prodding ("that's it?" "are you sure there's nothing else you want to do or anywhere you want to go?") she insisted she just wanted to stay home and play.

So stay home and play is what we did.

Breakfast was promptly delivered by my dad not 15 minutes after we woke up. (We are spoiled - we know.) After that, Charley wanted to build something with Tinkertoys in her room, and then play a game of Elefun. It was a super exciting day so far. Ha! But I was determined to continue to just follow her lead.

John called not too long after this and suggested I get my car inspected today (NC has annual inspections and mine happens to expire April 30th. Whoops! The 29th and 30th of the month were probably going to be pretty busy for us so I'm glad he called to remind me.) I asked my dad if he could take me to drop my car off because I LOATHE waiting on car maintenance stuff and he said he would. Charley was not interested in getting dressed yet or even riding with us so she went over to hang out with my mom while we went to drop the car off. My mom was in her pajamas too so they just had some morning play time together in pajamas.

When we got back, we came back home and Charley got dressed - NOT IN A DRESS! This was definitely the first time in months that she hasn't worn a dress. And it was all because I decided to hang up her t-shirts much like I hang up her dresses, and now she thinks her shirts are dresses she can wear with leggings. Okkkkkkk. Whatever works, kiddo! She picked out a fox t-shirt and some leggings and wanted to go back outside to play so outside we went.

It was such a beautiful day to be outside. We laid in the grass together. I pushed Charley in her swing. She was so lovey squeezy that she nearly choked me. Charley balance-beamed. We watched lizards. We just had fun.

  519504512538562533

After all that fun, Charley insisted I carry her up the sloped backyard to go back inside. I tried to explain to her how I just physically could not do this, but she wouldn't hear any of it. So if I couldn't carry her UP the hill to go inside, she decided instead that we'd walk back down to my parents house in the other direction.

We got back down there and played with my mom for a while. Went and picked up my car with my dad and came right back to play some more. It was definitely time for some lunch so we came back home again where Charley chose peanut butter and crackers and fruit for lunch. Whatever you want, kiddo! I actually had the same but with some cheese on some of my crackers instead.

From there, Charley wanted some rest time on the couch to watch My Little Pony which is usually how she forgoes a nap but still gets rest when she's home with us. She of course still naps wonderfully for my sister each day, but the best we get is some TV time and rest on the couch. When she was re-energized, she decided she would like to go to the library and pick out some new books to read. Again, I am so surprised that each thing she was choosing to do this day were so low key and FREE. Ha. So off to the library we went.

565 

At the library Charley picked out 14 books to bring home and then spent a little bit of time playing in their children's areas. She did some puzzles and played with some of the toys and I had to really fight the urge to just force her to leave because I was tired of sitting there myself. But I honestly don't think she ever would have chosen to go on her own so I had to deviate from the plan of letting Charley choose it all and instead started offering bribing items to get her to leave. It started with "come on Charley - want to go check out your books all by yourself?" to "Charley - want to go to the park?" which ultimately was what bribed her to leave. The poor thing didn't really even know what a park was - she's only been a few times and when we got in the car asked if we were just going home to play on her playset in the backyard. Ha!

568 

So of course she was thrilled when we got to the actual park. She had such a good time playing but she was definitely wearing herself out. I saw the end coming and it wasn't looking pretty no matter how I envisioned it. Mama may have to step in and alter the Charley day plans a little once again. Turns out a three year old still needs guidance - who knew!?

569 

As predicted Charley was getting more and more tired and it was getting awfully close to dinner time and to time for John to get home from work so our time was dwindling. Charley didn't want to hear anything of it though and I ultimately had to carry her out of the park crying. Womp womp. She was just so tired and was saying heartbreaking things like "I didn't even get a chance to make any friends yet" and "I just want to stay at the park forever". But, by the time we pulled out of the park her tears were dried up and she was looking through the library books we got. Whew!

Halfway home Charley tells me she's hungry and I say that we were almost home and we'd make dinner when we got there. She very sweetly says "well what about Chick Fil A?" and I make a u-turn and head right there. I mean, what harm could one more Grilled Chicken Club and fries and a milkshake do at this point? I thought it was perfect for my last pre-Laney meal**. And I was super glad she suggested it!

575 

We spent the rest of the evening with John and just packing up our stuff for the next day and playing and reading books. It was such a perfect day and I definitely went to bed with a smile on my face and I hope Charley did too. The next day she was going to all of a sudden be SO big. And everything would be different from now on. I knew it would be a good different myself, I just hoped Charley wouldn't take too long to see it the same way.

Tomorrow: Part II: Laney's Birthday



**My doctor's office didn't give me any details about the induction and whether I could eat or not that morning or what and I never called to check myself.  I assumed I couldn't have breakfast the next morning so considered the dinner the night before as my last meal pre-Laney. Turns out I could have eaten but oh well! The nurses insisted I have some graham crackers and peanut butter the next morning in the hospital before the induction got underway.

3 comments:

diana bowers said...

Sounds like a fantastic day!
The park slide looks pretty awesome, too

Heather said...

The perfect last day of only-childom! And Tory is exactly the same way when leaving the park. I'll say something like, "Don't worry, we can come back another day..." and she'll respond is full tears, "But I want to stay at the park forevvvvver!!!" Oh, three-year-olds.

A'Dell said...

I loved this! So lovely and wonderful and so HER!