Tuesday, April 21, 2015

AVOIDED

On the brink of baby number 2 coming, I thought I'd make a list of things that I've avoided thus far while being a parent to see if I hold strong through baby number 2 as well. Some of these I don't necessarily have a strong opinion against or anything - I just somehow got by without ever using or having them so I'm curious if I'll find I will need them or will end up with them with a totally different kid.

So, in Charley's 3.5 years, we've avoided:

  • NoseFrida, or anything other than the bulb aspirator
  • Crocs
  • Stick Figure family bumper stickers
  • Gripe water
  • Mastitis
  • Clogged ducts
  • Video Monitor
  • Rock N Play Sleeper
  • The blow-up duck tub
  • Diaper Genie
  • Pacifiers
  • Bath spout cover thing
  • Cabinet Locks
  • Safety Harness/Leash
  • Bed Rails
  • Diaper sensitivities
  • Jogging stroller
  • Bassinet (other than the Pack N Play) or Moses basket or Arms Reach co-sleeper
  • Sling carrier
  • Sink baths
  • Bottle drying rack
  • Orajel

And then there are the things we avoided with Charley but are prepared to use with Laney:

  • Boppy lounger
  • Glass bottles
  • Hands free pumping bra
  • Muslin swaddle blankets (we had tons of blankets, just no muslin ones.)

I love reading different people's MUST HAVE lists and seeing how different they all are. And I know a few of these aren't baby products but I just felt like I will never remember which baby used which stuff or with which one I suffered through xyz ailment, so I decided to include them to even though I have no control over those items. And rest assured that there were a couple of common ailments that are not listed that were for sure NOT avoided with Charley. I'd love to be able to put them on the AVOIDED list with Laney. 

How many of these things are on your MUST HAVE list? What things did you avoid that seem like everyone else swore by? Don't you dare insult Sophie by putting her on the AVOIDED list. Charley only had the classic Sophie, but I'm thinking Laney may need one of each variety. MUST HAVE.

14-01-2013-1-37-21-PM


[I think it is only fair to add that no, no baby yet. I know several of you are only reading this to get baby news. Ha! Due date is tomorrow!]

4 comments:

diana bowers said...

I have used 11 of the avoided items.
Nose Frida was/is a life saver in our house.

Hands free pumping bra is nice at home but I never used it at work.

Jessica said...

I live in fear of not having a NoseFrida handy when the baby gets a cold so I actually own two. There is nothing worse than a breastfed baby with a cold.

JEN said...

I haven't used any of the avoided items but the Jogging stroller rocks! We can take it "off road" and it is a must have.

Heather said...

Ooh! So many thoughts: the NoseFrida is amazing, and it's super powers for sucking snot really do out-weight the gag factor; Andi just bought Tory a pair of pink Crocs for summer and I threw up a big stink about her wearing them -- LOL!; absolutely, positively could not live without our video baby monitor. I check it obsessively whenever the kids are sleeping; Aden uses a pacifier and Tory never did - they really are a lifesaver to stop the noise (stop cryyyying!), but I'm super scared about the day I have to take it away.

I was surprised how different Aden was/is from Tory when becoming a mother of two. I thought I had all the answers but I soooo did not (i.e.: Aden's allergy to milk, eczema and skin irritations, pacifiers vs. not, Aden's super attached to a lovie and Tory wasn't, etc.) Second babies throw you a curve ball, that's for sure!