Monday, March 16, 2015

L is for: Laney's Nursery

And not Late, but Later than I would have preferred, And Lovely.

833 copy 

It is (mostly) done. Hallelujah. I just need my seamstress to sew a couple of new pillow covers and my painter to spray paint one more frame for me and I think that would be it. (Can you  believe that my landscaper Juan is also my painter and seamstress? Man of many talents.) Oh, and if a little round accent rug that I actually like finds its way into my hands/shopping cart that would be lovely too. But I'm at least at a point where I feel like I can share it.

(If only I loved the pictures as much as I love the room. Turns out I'm a horrible room photographer. Just awful. And then trying to get the coloring right in Photoshop was horrible too. Just take the average coloring from every picture and find the common denominator hue. Those are the actual colors. Maybe I'll get the newborn photographer to take a couple of pictures for me since I am incapable.)

Anyways, this room took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted. I originally started out just knowing I was going to start by mimicking this picture from MODGblog's playroom.


Even on my Pinterest board, I kept coming back to this peach/gold color combo so eventually I was settled on that. I went ahead and picked a wall color and got that ingrained in my head. 

010
Oh look! There's Juan there!

With that out of the way, I started pricing those star decals (not cheap! or easy to find!), or deciding if I was going to ask Juan to stencil those for me. I thought about that for a long, long time. So long that when I finally got inspired to move on to other areas of the room, I had long since forgotten about them and ultimately decided against using them at all. 

The next thing I got inspired to do came from some basement cleaning. At one point about a year ago, I started buying any and all letters I could find for an Etsy idea that never came to be. I have no idea how we were able to do the bird mobiles for so long and do so many of them! I never even made a good attempt at getting the letter business off the ground. So while cleaning the basement and seeing all of these letters sitting there unused, I decided to see how much of the alphabet I already owned since I had seen that idea on Pinterest a million times. I mean, use what you've got, right? Turned out I only needed to buy 6 more letters to complete the alphabet, so I decided to go ahead with that project.

Untitled

I bought about 6 different pieces of scrapbook paper that I liked and modge-podged the tops of the letters while painting the sides gold. It was actually a very easy (and cheap!) project. Then those got hung over the crib (instead of over the bookcase like I had envisioned) after some mild panicking about furniture placement and it not all fitting. Sure, would have made more sense over the bookcase but I loved the finished product so much I wanted it to be on the focal wall when you came in the room, so over the crib they went.

And the room stayed that way for several weeks after that. I couldn't decide on anything so I just did nothing. But then. THEN! Ideas started coming all at once! I found some wrapping paper I liked at Marshall's, and then a roll of wallpaper I liked for only $1 at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and curtains that didn't break the bank from a pin on Pinterest and, and, and, and!! It just all started coming together and rolling in.

I used the wallpaper to cut some silhouette shapes for a few frames I got at Marshall's and to cover a couple of books I used on a shelf and I framed pieces of the wrapping paper for a triptych I made to go over the bookcase. Basically just doing my cheapo decorating as I normally do.

And then I came across this mobile on Pinterest that I loved and was sold on Etsy anywhere from $150-$175. I wondered if I should splurge on this since I'd yet to even spend $30 on this room.


I considered that for negative 2 seconds (meaning not at all, no way, no how) and instead Googled DIY instructions to make it myself. I came across a couple of YouTube videos on the flowers themselves, and then this blog with a tutorial that I roughly followed (except I for sure did not make a pattern for every flower - I just free handed those.) It was definitely time consuming, but I felt like I wanted to make Laney a special mobile too since we spent so much time making (and the duplicating 200x over) the one we made for Charley so it was my first moment of "let's make everything fair for my kids". I love the way it turned out so much though. And it cost me maybe $15 total.

815 copy832 copy

There was one other last minute project we completed over the weekend, but again, I just cannot get a good picture of it. It uses an IKEA Lyrik Pendant lamp shade (with the Hemma cord set), a pack of $1.50 paper flowers, and a roll of jute string I got for $1 at a yard sale forever ago. Oh, and for the bracket John went to the basement and found this wirey photo frame thing that I had planned to use in our bedroom one day if we ever got around to it. It was one of two swirly wirey pieces that connected, and had 4 frames hanging down from them. But he saw its potential as a bracket instead and once I agreed that it would be perfect, he re-engineered it to hold the pendant up. I wrapped the cord in the jute string to make it a little more visually appealing since it ran down the wall and added paper flowers to the pick-ups in the lamp shade. 

816 copy

Okay okay enough. Let me just show you the whole room. 

796 copy 2

804 copy

797a

And a few little details - somehow bunnies kept finding their way into everything, so bunnies it is! Charley has even already picked out a bunny lovey for Laney so I guess bunnies are to Laney as birds and owls were to Charley.

807810801802

I love that I know what is functional for me this time when designing a nursery and that I can get to as many burp cloths as I could possibly need (the basket on top of the dresser closest to the glider), the laundry hamper to dispose of those burp cloths and the switch for the lamp all easily and from the comfort of that glider. I spent a lot of time in that glider with Charley and foresee doing much of the same with Laney. And I love that I'll get to spend that time with Laney in a room I truly love!

I bought very few things new (shocker!) so I'm not going to bother with a source list, but if there is something in particular you want to know about feel free to ask! My biggest splurge in the entire room was that crib sheet - it was $39 which is insane for a sheet that will just get peed upon and spit up on. But, if that was the most expensive item in the whole room, I think I did okay.

And just for fun, here is the link to Charley's nursery. I like looking at them both and seeing how different they are! They have definitely been some of my favorite rooms to decorate.

4 comments:

Nicole Tully said...

Oh my goodness, love love LOVE her room! It is so sweet :) The alphabet wall came out amazing and the mobile you made?! WAY BETTER than the Etsy one! So many sweet details. The peach, pink, and mint color combo works so well together. Gorgeous!

'HoulaMom said...

Ok, I'm going to need you to come up here and do baby girl's nursery for me. I NEED that mobile in her room! And I am pretty sure I have no idea what's going on in that tutorial. LOL. So come on up ;)

Seriously, Lacey, you did an amazing job. I love her room!

Kara Keenan said...

It's gorgeous! That's a beautiful color and I love the mobile.

Heather said...

Love, love, love! The alphabet letters are definitely a favorite of mine; so simple and sweet. Of course, I love the flower mobile because it's dainty, unique and handmade. Your thriftiness and creativity always amazes me, Lacey. Love seeing what you come up with!