Friday, October 10, 2014

FIFTY NINE WEEKS


13 weeks with Charley.


4 weeks with a chemical pregnancy in January 2014.


And 12 weeks so far with a HEALTHY PREGNANCY here in October 2014.

For a grand (depressing) total of FIFTY NINE WEEKS. That's how much time I've spent in the first trimester in my life, and I hope that this next week is the LAST week I'll ever spend in a first trimester. I may have considered more than two children earlier in my life, but I am stating right now that I don't have it in me to TRY to get to this point ever again. It's been a nightmare which looks like it may finally end up with a happy ending.

This first trimester has been pretty awful for me. I know it's no where near as bad as some have it, but the morn-after-ning sickness and puking and exhaustion and inability to eat for so long has gotten old. Most have told me it's a good thing to be sick; that maybe that means a healthy pregnancy this time. But on the flip side I was lucky enough to be sick with each and every pregnancy whether they turned out healthy or not. So yeah. Fun times over here.

Enough with the depressing part though. I THINK I'm finally ready to put the skepticism and negativity behind me. A successful 12 week appointment yesterday where I heard a solid heartbeat of 158 has inched me closer to the believer's camp and out of the skeptic's camp. It is such a change of pace for me, who is usually Mrs. Positivity to an annoying degree, to have a hard time accepting congratulations and the excitement of the friends and family that we've told. I just couldn't believe that this was really going to happen this time. I'm so used to it not happening. It looks like this is happening though on or around April 22nd, 2015. Whoa.

So, that should explain some things. 1, why this poor blog has gone dormant for the past 6 weeks. For one, I couldn't talk about the thing on the forefront of my mind so it made it difficult to talk about anything else. Also, I usually do my blogging in the evenings and with only a desktop at home (because Lord knows I'm not using the Blogger app on the iPad. Just no.) and with the desire to only be in the laying-down position in the evenings, that wasn't happening. Last night was the first night in a couple months that I didn't a) go to bed at 9 something and b) need to be laying down for the entirety of the evening. I uploaded some long overdue pictures to Facebook and did some laundry and packed for a weekend trip. It was amazing to be a productive member of my household again. (I can see John laughing and rolling his eyes that I included uploading pictures to Facebook as part of productivity.)

It should also explain (one of the reasons) why Charley's birthday party was so scaled down this year in terms of guests. I just really wasn't sure how much I'd be able to get done so I didn't want the added pressure of feeling like crap and trying to get things done if I had guests coming over. My family doesn't count - they would have showed up with boxes of Bojangles chicken and a decorated grocery store cake and ate it at a dirty kitchen table if I'd asked. Luckily I was able to do some party prep so that turned out okay. I'm sure removing the pressure of extra guests helped me relax and get things done too.

This also explains why the gallery wall project is STILL not complete. Frames are painted and hung, but most remain empty of art. As soon as that second trimester burst of energy hits I'm on it!

Untitled

It explains why a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese has been the entirety of my dinner quite a few times over the last few weeks.

Untitled

Explains why I had to button my cardigan all the way to the top on this day where a very red smoothie violently came back up and splashed on me at work. Wahhhh. That was the last smoothie I've had too.

Untitled


Also, I DO have a new job and will not meet the 1 year requirement for FMLA coverage when this baby is born. That was NOT in our plan, but you know how plans go. All this trouble to get pregnant and stay pregnant when we were trying and then we try NOT to try and boom. Healthy baby. Ultimately, my plan was to stay at my old job and take advantage of their good maternity leave policy for baby #2, and leave some time after that. But after that last miscarriage in March I decided to scrap that plan and get out of there and figure out the "plan" as I went. New job doesn't have as good of a maternity leave plan but the overall happiness factor makes up for it. I'm so much happier at my new job that we will figure it all out as we go. 

I was going to wait until the anatomy scan to share the news so I'd hopefully have a baby bump picture to share as well, but we all know how much of an oversharer I am. I have lost 7 pounds so far and am still wearing my regular clothes that still button up so no bump to speak of. (which, if I'm being honest, does make me paranoid too that something's not right. Why am I not bloated yet!? And yes, that does sound as ridiculous to me as I'm sure it does to you.) 

We will be finding out the sex of the baby and since the doctor's office was going to make us wait until mid-December, we took things into our own hands and scheduled an elective ultrasound for November 2nd. That's only twenty three days!! TWENTY THREE DAYS! Holy moly canoli!

I'm really feeling girl, John wants a girl, and Charley is adamant about wanting a sister (with no prompting from either of us, I swear!) Having sisters is so special to me (not that my brother isn't special, but it's just a different (and still wonderful!) relationship) so that's the main reason I want Charley to have one, but of course we will be thrilled with whatever this baby is. And you know how crazy I am about this specific Chinese Gender chart, and it also says girl. So, naturally, I'm sure this is a boy.

Anyways, what else could I possibly share? I know I've left stuff out because I've been writing this post in my head for WEEKS and it was much longer in my head. Ask questions! I am just so happy to talk about it now. And I'll take all the hopes and prayers that this pregnancy continues to be a healthy one and my paranoia subsides. I could really use any and all of those.

Thanks for still checking in on me! I've missed it around here!

20 comments:

'HoulaMom said...

Congratulations, Lacey!! Praying this is a take home baby for you guys. I hope you start feeling better soon. I've missed your face!

The Beane's said...

So happy for you guys!!! Congratulations!!

Kara Keenan said...

Congratulations!

Using that Chinese gender prediction calendar and my children's conception dates, I got 2 boys and a "take your pick." I have three girls...so...

kjw said...

Congratulations Lacey!! So happy for you!

Megan said...

Congratulations Lacey!! I'm glad to hear you are starting to feel better and I'm so happy for your growing family.

TiffyDun said...

Congratulations Lacey, John, and big sister Charley. I'm so happy for you.

Navigating the Mothership said...

Congratulations! I will be thinking of you and sending all sorts of positive thoughts to you and baby.

Two more things: I blocked out the violent heaves=splashing thing. Shudder! And at work too! Awful.

Also, I am at my sleekest and skinniest during the late first trimester. I bloat a little at first but then the restricted eating/puking has me with a smaller stomach than I would ever get - pregnant or otherwise.

Kayla Rae said...

Congrats!!! So happy for you!

Jennie said...

Oh, the biggest congratulations! I sure hope you're feeling better.

Elizabeth Stack said...

Congrats!! :)

Jessica said...

Yaaaaaaay! I'm so happy for you.

Nicole Tully said...

Huge congrats to you and your family!!! Such an amazingly wonderful blessing!
Im excited that we get to be bump buddies :) Walker's due date was April 22nd too - but his bday is the 15th. I hope you get the second tri burst of wellness and energy very soon.
Sending tons and tons of prayers and well wishes for a healthy baby and smooth pregnancy your way - you deserve it!
(oh also, that gender calendar says girl for me too! Yay!! that would be so great! I went back and put in my other kids info to see if it was correct and it's the first prediction calendar that was ever right every single time!).

Rachael said...

I am soooooo happy for you and your family and so glad you're back.

59 weeks of the first trimester, I can't even imagine.

I look forward to following along, and I will keep you in my prayers.:)

k said...

LACEY SHUT THE FRONT DOOR CONGRATULATIONS! I for real gasped out loud and have chills. Oh, I am so happy for you. So, so happy.

april said...

Congratulations! And here's to a perfectly uneventful 28ish more weeks.

Heather said...

Congratulations!!! For some weird reason, I've had this feeling lately you were pregnant. Maybe I was wishfully hoping you'd be sharing such news?? Anyway, congrats again! I'm so happy for you, John and Charley.

The Mrs./The Mom said...

Congrats!!! So happy for you. Praying for another take home baby!

Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup] said...

What a blessing! Congrats!! Sending so many well wishes and healthy prayers your way.

Jess said...

CONGRATS!!! This has been such a long, hard journey for you, and I am thrilled that this new little person is on his/her way to joining your family!

Swistle said...

SO MUCH SYMPATHY about the first trimester. It is the worst. THE WORST.

I think it's so smart to go ahead and put up the frames even if they're empty: it feels fun and motivating to fill them, and yet they ALREADY look nice!