Monday, August 4, 2014

I'm A Gallery Wall Failure

I'm currently working on a gallery wall in my living room that is driving me insane. I actually owned a ton of extra frames and decided to do this on a whim which may have been my first problem. But there are a few dozen holes in my wall now so I'm not at the point yet where I want to scrap the whole thing. I DO like it, I just need some help in getting it justtttt right.

Okay so 2 weeks ago I asked for help on Instagram. I shared a current picture of my living room and asked for suggestions for what color I should paint the frames. I was already leaning towards navy and once I got a couple of extra nudges in that direction I was sold.

  image

Next I played with creating a nice configuration on the floor before putting holes in the wall. Once I had that decided, I hung up all 24 frames.

image

I hated it. The spacing was too close together, I needed bigger frames in there and it didn't fill up enough of the wall for the look I was going for. I wanted more of a floor to ceiling gallery like these I had pinned on Pinterest.

imageimage

Anyways, I took almost all of them back down and just added a couple of larger frames on the nails already in the wall and I knew then I was headed in the right direction.

image

Had to make quite a few new holes in the wall, but eventually I ended up with a configuration I really liked. (I'm happy with this part, so if your advice is that you don't like my configuration just lie to me.)

image

So now paint. I had to go to THREE stores to find the right navy spray paint. Finally I found what I thought was just right, had John paint them all, and then put them back on the wall to see how I liked it before I added the white mats and artwork into the frames.

image

Hate it. HATE. I feel like an old 80's blue couch just threw up on my wall. It's too much contrast for my taste and I know that I need to go lighter on the frame color.

But WHAT color?? I cannot decide.

I did some quick crappy Photoshopping to try and steer me in the right direction. I only selected a few frames to swap out the colors because lazy = me. I do like a few of these, but I've been way wrong so far in this so I'd feel better taking a poll before I go buy more paint and start over. So, do we like any of these or do you have any other color suggestions? I will say that the inside of my front door is minty colored along with those foyer tables I've shared which is located just to the left of this picture, if that helps in your decision at all. It may help tie the two areas together but I'm not really sure of anything at this point.

Teal:

  turquoise 

 Tan:

  tan2 

 Tan, with a more yellow undertone: 

tan 

 Minty:

  minty2 

 Light Grey:

  grey 

 Black:

  black copy

Please, someone put me out of my gallery wall misery.

15 comments:

diana bowers said...

I'm not a fan of any of the colors. Maybe black but then it's close to navy. Navy doesn't look bad from the photo. Do I need to come see it in person?

Kara Keenan said...

I'd keep most of them navy, but maybe do 1/4 of them silver? I love the color combination of creamy yellow, navy and silver. It's very nautical. The original red frames mixed in with navy would be nice too.

You are brave to hang pictures where the kids can get at them! They'd be knocked off the walls on a daily basis in our house.

Nicole Tully said...

I'm terrible at this stuff…but for what it's worth, I like the gray. I'm excited to see the final results though!

The Beane's said...

I love the placement! I have a gallery going up my staircase and it seriously took me FOREVER to get it done! I like white! I love the crispness of it and it is so clean and simple =) It will help once you get pictures in there too.

Rachael said...

I am no good at this either, but I didn't think the navy looked bad either. Once you had the mats and artwork in there, it would be perfect. Kara's idea of making a quarter of them silver sounds interesting.

Your house is soooo pretty!

Jodi said...

I'm not great at this either... but my first though was, what are you putting in them? If you're doing color photos/prints, etc. I would almost just do white frames. I feel like that might be boring to start, but if the pictures are all full of color, I think it would work. Plus, you have white woodwork and yellowish walls, so I think the white might kind of 'pop.' If you're doing black/white photos then I would go more of a fun color. I don't mind the minty but I don't think it's the right shade, maybe needs to be a touch darker, the teal is too dark, so maybe in between. Also, (please remember I'm no expert), but I really like the arrangement of the frames, but for some reason the top row seems off. The third frame in, I'm wondering if you should turn it 90 degrees (vertical instead of horizontal arrangement). I feel like that frame is too close to the others and my eye keeps going to it. However, please remember, I am NO expert! Good luck. Gallery walls stress me out especially when they're fun and not perfectly arranged. Probably the reason all my gallery walls are completely symmetrical and thus, totally boring!

Carmen said...

I liked the navy with a few teal accents. (I wouldn't do them all teal). Or maybe black with an accent color on some? Good luck Lacey!

Lacey said...

You are so right - I hadn't even noticed that one frame up top until you said something. I have a couple extra smaller frames I didn't use so I think I'm going to just replace it with something smaller which will allow the spacing to look better. Good catch!

I am using art though in the frames, not photos. I think the photos would make it look too busy in an already busy room so just art with simple shapes and lots of white.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Things like this stress me out too. I usually go symmetrical because my brain just doesn't comprehend random very well! ;)

Lacey said...

I'm definitely leaning towards a few accent frames at this point between the great suggestions I've gotten on here and on Facebook! Thanks so much!

Jessica said...

Teal, definitely. Not all of the frames, though - I'd leave maybe 2/3 of them navy. I think the two look really good together and the teal makes the accent wall really pop!

Heather said...

I like the Teal (for a color punch), Tan (for more muted) or black (always my favorite). Gallery walls are HARD. I bought a few pre-arranged ones for home and the cabin from Michaels and they're perfect. Easy to install because they come with a template and they look complete without having to think too much. But, Michaels stopped carrying them. Boo. And, they don't give the character that creating your own gallery wall does. Anyway, I like yours! And a different color you love will make it one of your favorite spots in the house I bet.

Megan Prosser said...

I like the tan or the tan with yellow undertones! I feel like it ties in really well with the rest of the room and I think it looks more natural and really ties in with the wood in the fireplace!

'HoulaMom said...

I'm voting tan. I may be way late to the party though.

Courtney [Sweet Turtle Soup] said...

bahaha (I'm happy with this part, so if your advice is that you don't like my configuration just lie to me.) oh that made me laugh. I think it looks great! No help with the colour though, but I'd have two three different colours personally. I'm on a mission to make one for my daughter's room. I've on step 0.5 official, I've thought of the idea. Good luck!

april said...

And now we see why I do not have a gallery wall. I do need to get a new collage frame for Henry pictures though, because I have one with Spencer pictures in it and that's it. Henry is sorely underrepresented in photos in our house.