Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Charley is 2.5!

DSC_0148 

I am stealing this format from my friend at Live Inside My Bubble because it's been a LONG time since I've wrote what Charley was up to lately, and this format is pretty easy to follow. Thanks Heather!

Charley is now 2 and a half years old. If I had to quickly describe my baby girl, I'd say she's a sweet and polite little southern girl, with a side of bossiness and spunkiness. She's very funny, very chatty, and truly very sweet. Here's what she's been up to recently.

GROWTH
According to my non-official measurements, Charley now weighs 28 pounds and is 36" tall. She's got LONG legs so most of her 2T pants look like cropped pants on her. I purchased a lot of 3T winter clothing on clearance for next year and she's wearing the stuff now. Length is just right, but the waist is huge. She's wearing a size 6 shoe, but I'm buying size 7 for summer. She had such small feet for so long I thought she wasn't going to inherit my big size 9 feet, but now I'm not so sure. We are also still waiting on those top two 2-year molars. I really think they may be coming in now, but I've said that several times over the last year. Ha.

Her hair is still growing and it's amazing to look at the changes in it from the last 6 months or so. It's still very baby-ish, uneven, wispy, and messy, but I am slowly starting to see what she'll look like with an actual hair style. Although a hair style would mean she'd actually have to let me style it, which she refuses. Most of the time she puts on her own headband Jane Fonda/Rambo style and that's all she'll allow. I guess the good thing about having an infant with hair is they can get used to hairbows before they know they can have an opinion about things. Trying hairbows out for the first time on a two year old is less than successful.

DSC_0206

SLEEP
We changed Charley's crib to a toddler bed when sometime in December after a dangling-head-down-over-the-crib-rail incident. I didn't want to toy with possible head injuries, so the rail came off that night and toddler bed it was. Just a few weeks ago we went ahead and bought a twin mattress & box spring for her and she's currently sleeping in it while it's on the floor. (I can't find exactly what I want in my price range for the actual bed yet.) The transition was actually pretty easy, minus a few hiccups where she would get up in the middle of the night and make her way to my bedside and stare at me until I FELT her presence in my sleep. Those were a little frightening and still occur here and there (mainly when she can't find her lovey or something) but that part hasn't been too bad. Once she's asleep, she will typically stay that way until morning.

But, getting her to go to bed and STAY in bed has been a little tough lately. One night after a second consecutive night where getting her to stay in bed was taking 2 hours, I went to Facebook looking for advice on it. Most people said "good luck! it never ends!" so that was a little disheartening. But, the difference is my child is still small and blockable by way of baby gate. So, I put up a baby gate in her hallway. The first night she cried HARD for 5 minutes and that was so tough. It's always worse when they can talk and say MAMA PWEASE COME TUCK ME IN, PWEASE? Hard to ignore those sweet requests. But I stuck with it. And she honestly was asleep in 5 minutes. Each night thereafter has been better. Last night as I tucked her in she asked me if I was putting up the baby gate. I said "yep!" and she said "okay" and went to sleep. Never even opening her door once. I'll still be putting up the gate for a while (we take it down when we go to bed) but glad that the solution wasn't too terribly difficult.

Naps are still very necessary for Charley. At my sister's she will take a nap at least 2 hours long each day, but sometimes even THREE or FOUR hours long. She has never done that for me. She still sleeps in her pack n' play over there and obviously she really likes it. At home on the weekends, it's tough to get a nap out of her at all. If we do, it's because we've tired her out and plopped her down on the couch with a movie on. (Dumbo works like a charm every time!) Or occasionally in our bed with the iPad.

DSC_0036 

MILESTONES
I just mentioned Charley moving up to her big girl bed. That's obviously a bigger one since there is currently no (assembled) crib in our home.

Another big one is potty training. She is still doing great with that. I'm guessing at this point it's no longer 'training' but 'trained'. I'll always remember what my sister said to me after Charley's first day being potty trained at my sister's house. She simply said: "You have no idea." She was shocked how quickly it happened...as am I. I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but besides a couple of practice days I did here and there when I had a day off, I used the 3 day method to a T and swear by it. It worked so well that on day 3 I was even able to attempt our first public outing with a potty trained child. No pull-ups, no separate night training or anything. I know I have an easier child, so I'm sure the method doesn't work for everyone. Just glad it did for us! (It hasn't been perfect...let's not forget Poopmageddon)

Charley has been able to count to 10 for a while, but if you ask her to say her ABCs, she almost always sings "A, B, C, X, Y" and that's it. But, I think she's fooling me because if I sing the ABCs and leave out a letter as I'm singing, she can easily fill in the missing letter as I go. So she knows it, I think, just stubbornly refuses to sing it for me. She's not really recognizing any letters or numbers yet but we've never really worked on that either, besides a few times with her foam bath letters.

We also are starting to do big kid things with Charley. We took her to a bounce house place a few weeks ago and have since gone back again and bought a membership. She's still one of the smaller kids there, so I still follow behind her and feel like a helicopter mom while the other moms sit off to the side in chairs and chat, but she is still little and sometimes needs some encouragement to come down the slides and not hold up the line for all of the other kids. Really - that happened. Just sat up at the top refusing to come down the slide. John had to go up and rescue her.

image
She climbed up to the top of this wall and just stood there FOREVER until a couple little girls came along and pulled her up to the top. 
FAVORITES
Outside. Outside is by far Charley's favorite thing. No toy or doll or anything compares to just being outside. Every second that she's awake, we are home, it's daylight and the temperature is at least 50, we're outside. If there is water involved she loves it even more.  If we are inside- to be honest- the television is her favorite thing. So she usually wakes up with a show, and winds down with a show. Considering how active she is otherwise, it doesn't really bother me. But we do try and suggest other things instead sometimes. Usual winners: drawing or painting at her desk, reading books, playing Play-Doh, or building with blocks.

DSC_0087

THINGS TO DO
Charley is a gymnastics class drop-out. We signed her up for gymnastics back in October and I think she only went to 4 classes before we called it quits. It was a rush to get there after work and it was just so chaotic. I didn't feel like we were really getting much from the class and thought it'd be better if we just waited a while and came back to it. Charley still talks about 'nastics so I'm sure we'll join again someday, but a class of 15 2 year olds was just too much chaos to be paying for at this point.

Other than that, Charley goes to a church childcare thing once a week while my sister is in bible study and she really loves to go 'pway wif fwiends'. Considering looking into a preschool for a couple days a week next fall since she loves it so much.

FOODS
Charley eats pretty well. Much better than I do myself, but that's not saying a whole lot. She will eat fruit all day long. Any/all fruit is good to her. She's also a big fan of juice even though I know she's not supposed to have much. We originally started giving it to her to help along a certain bodily function and now we just let her have it with breakfast. I hope the juice police don't come knocking at our door.

She only does okay with vegetables. Green beans are her favorite by far. She'll eat broccoli most of the time, and carrots some of the time. She does love salad also. The rest has been hit or miss. But for a bribe ("eat two more bites of asparagus and you can watch a TV show") she'll usually oblige. So it's not that she HATES it which gives me hope for her future eating habits. (Me, for example, could never be bribed for even just a bite or two and still can't be bribed.) To be honest, I think we just don't offer her enough variety in this department.

Every meat is 'chicken' and she loves pasta. Yogurt is her favorite weekday breakfast, and pancakes her favorite weekend breakfast. I have started to try out this for her lunches and it's been so-so. Some recipes have been instant hits, most have not. Did get a few good ideas out of it though.

Other favorites: macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, spaghetti, chicken & dumplings, crackers, & quesadillas. Pretty typical toddler foods, I think.

FRIENDS AND FAMILY
I really don't think Charley has much distinction between immediate family (me & John) and extended family (my parents, sisters & their families & brother & his family). She sees them all so often that I'm pretty sure she thinks they are all her immediate family. I love that. The greetings she gives to my mom (Gaga) each day are better than any greeting she gives to anyone else. Running, arms out, big huge hugs type of greeting.

image
Yes, there are words on her shirt. Which is why she's wearing it outside on a hike - play clothes!
Charley has two main friends she plays with most often. Aidan lives a little further away, but we still try to see him every month or two. (He's the one in that picture up there^) Him and Charley are two of a kind. Both love to be outside in the dirt having fun. Her other friend is Ella, who lives locally and we see every month or so too. Charley talks about them both all of the time.

--------------------

So that's what Charley is up to these days. Feel free to steal this format (Heather won't mind!) and update me on your littles too. Come on! It'll be fun!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Happy 2.5 years!!! I am loving her hair :)

Jess said...

She is SO cute!! I love her self-styled headband!

MillerMama said...

"Green beans are her favorite by far. She'll eat broccoli most of the time, and carrots some of the time. She does love salad also. Every meat is 'chicken' and she loves pasta."

Oh hi, we have the same kid, as is to be expected ;-)

Heather said...

(Sorry, took me forever to circle back here and read about Charley Bear. But, I did it! Here I am!) Oh, I just love her! Further evidence as to why I need to book a trip and come down to visit you in NC sometime soon. I know our girls would have so much fun together (and we would, too)! I'm so impressed with the potty training - go Charley! - and happy it was such an easy transition for you. Really, you hit the kid jackpot with her and her easy sleeping, PT, happy-go-lucky ways. She is just the sweetest. :)