Wednesday, February 12, 2014

7 Quick Takes

  1. This is currently my view.

    image

    It's a Wednesday, so normally I'd be at work. But due to the inch or two of snow we got yesterday, the 5-10" expected to fall today and the inch of ice expected tonight, we got a snow day off of work! I'm playing on the computer in the office, Charley's taking an early nap on the couch and John went in to work to gather things so he can work from home on his snow day off. Overachiever.
  2. We hit the lottery earlier this week. Okay, not really, but we did get an unexpected check in the mail from our escrow account because they way overestimated our taxes last year. Like, a couple thousand dollars overestimated. I wish we were young and irresponsible again because it'd be fun to just take that money shopping instead of being responsible with it.
  3. Scratch that - nap never happened so now she's joined me in the office.

    image
  4. Do you have the app Waze? It's another map application, which I was skeptical of because I'm such a big fan of Google Maps. But Waze is so awesome. It lets users update for traffic, cars on the shoulder, speed traps, etc. And it's just a one or two button touch to update the map if you see something, so not dangerous at all in my opinion. I do a lot of driving every day. This thing has saved me so much time!
  5. Have I ever mentioned how much I love the crock pot? Because I do. Like, really love it. Last week we had 4 of 5 dinners on the weekdays prepared in the crock pot. But I only have about 6 go-to crock pot recipes that are tried and true. I need more. Got any? And not any of those 4-hours-on-high recipes either. We are gone all day; we need all day recipes. Are there any recipes for sides that can be made in the crock pot? I do have 2 crock pots so that would be extra awesome to have a meal AND side done when I got home.
  6. I'm afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing it, but potty training is still going great. Except for one episode I'm calling poopmageddon. It was pretty awful, but the universe thought I was skating through potty training too easily and brought me back down to Earth in one fell swoop. I get it, universe. I get it. Now that that's over, I hope we're back to smooth skating from here on out.
  7. Charley got her "first" haircut! I say "first" because I had trimmed a couple of long pieces before because they were so much longer than the rest of her hair and just looked goofy. But I had my friend Melissa over (the same one that cuts my hair) (her daughter Ella is Charley's BFF...see photo evidence below)

    010

    and she gave her her official first haircut. I am SO glad she did it. She didn't really take much off at all, but the overall shape and everything is just so much better. I don't know how that happened with the few little wisps she took off, but she knows what she's doing.

001

4 comments:

diana bowers said...

Our house is a big mess from the toddler tornado! Charley looks to be so calm at her desk, even though she fooled you about the nap

Mama Tully said...

Oh my goodness, that is just the sweetest photo of her haircut!
I'm obsessed with my crockpot and use it at least once or twice a week for meals. Check out Six Sisters Stuff - they have tons of great slow cooker meal recipes!

Jessica said...

This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is one of our favorites: http://iowagirleats.com/2009/11/16/a-few-of-my-favorite-things/
(I don't bother cooking chicken separately, by the way. I just throw frozen chicken breasts in with everything else at the beginning and shred them just before serving.)

I made this last week and we all looooved it: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/11/11/slow-cooked-meatballs/

k said...

Woohoo for unexpected checks!