Friday, January 31, 2014

A Day In The Life

I haven't done one of these since October 2012 even though I have grand plans of participating each quarter when Laura does her quarterly Day In The Life round-up, but I a) never remember or b) never finish in time. Which, I've missed the deadline again this quarter, but oh well. I really really like looking back at these so I need to do this for myself.

This was a day in the life pre-baby: No baby! I EXERCISED! And even cooked dinner?! I was weird then.

This was a day in the life during maternity leave. Which seems like it consisted of watching a baby sleep all day. Oh please let future (not-yet-created) baby 2.0 sleep like Charley did.

And a day in the life after I'd gone back to work. Charley was a little over 1 here, and our days haven't changed a whole lot from then it seems.

Anyways, Charley is 2 years 4 months old, and here's today:

6:04 a.m. Alarm goes off. I call my work's inclement weather hotline and hear that there is no delay. Yesterday we had a 2 hour delay due to snow & ice, so even though the roads are fine today, I was hoping for some sort of miracle. Darn. Snooze.

6:13 a.m. Alarm again. Snooze again.

6:22 a.m. Alarm. Contemplate getting up for real this time. Nah. Snoooze

6:31 a.m. Okay okay I'm up. Do a quick check of email, Facebook, Words with Friends and Instagram. Get out of bed and make my way to get Charley up. Lately she's been waking US up about this time saying she has to go pee. But she had no nap yesterday so she's still snoozing. She's tough to get up in the morning so I gently wake her as much as I can without causing a tantrum and then leave her while I go get dressed so she can finish waking up on her own, as she prefers. John's also up now and getting ready himself.

6:40 I'm dressed and Charley wanders into my room carrying her two blankets. She says she needs to go pee so I follow her to her bathroom to help her. Afterwards I tell her if she gets dressed and eats her breakfast in a timely manner she can watch a few minutes of TV before we have to leave. She agrees. Picks yogurt to eat and lets me get her dressed. 3T pants for the first time ever! They are a little big in the waist, but at least she's not expecting a flood today.

7:15 We're all ready and all leaving the house. John takes Charley to my sister's on his way to work and I make my way to work.

7:59 I pull up in the parking lot. It takes about 10 minutes to get from the lot to my desk, so at a minimum I am 9 minutes late right now. Unfortunately though, I still need to add on a little bit more makeup that I didn't get to do at stoplights this morning so I'll be a couple of minutes later. Also, at this point I just remembered that I wanted to do a day in the life post today, so FIRST PICTURE!

image

8:11 a.m. Got an elevator to myself and I make it up to my desk. It was only 10 degrees outside and there were icy patches on the sidewalks so I booked it inside. Brrrr.

  image

8:45 a.m. Realize I forgot (sheesh...can forgot be the word of the day today?) my bagel for breakfast, and since I don't feel like going ALL THE WAY downstairs to get something, I just go to the break room and buy myself some Pop Tarts out of the vending machine as they were the only breakfasty item available. I'd show you a picture of my Pop Tarts, but I forgot to take one. Forgot forgot forgot!

8:50 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. Work. Take a couple of internetting breaks. A couple of chat breaks with my coworker. Drink some water. Work some more. It's a slower part of the month for us this week so I don't feel slammed like I have in the past few weeks. Next week however will be a different story...

12:46 p.m. Coworker and I decide to get pizza for lunch. Man, I am the epitome of healthy eating. I chose a buffalo chicken pizza on WHOLE WHEAT crust. See? Totally healthy.

image

1:15 p.m. We stop by the break room on the way back up to get ourselves something to drink. I wanted Dr. Pepper. It was sold out. I get Coke instead. Another healthy decision!

image
Look you can see me in the reflection! Hiii!

1:45 p.m. Pizza is consumed. Drink is not (I like soda + pizza together but rarely drink all of a 20 oz which is why I get a bottled drink instead of a fountain drink since I can spread it out a day or two.) Back to work.

2:30 p.m. Need to use the restroom and realize I never took an outfit picture this morning for you, so I do that while I'm in there as well. Not my favorite outfit ever, but it'll do.

image

Until 4:00 p.m. More work. I am usually really productive the last couple of hours of the day. I'm definitely a more productive afternoon worker than a morning worker.

4:10 p.m. Make it to my car and start the commute to get Charley. There's always one big decision on my drive home everyday and that's regarding which interstate to take. One of them gets me there 5 minutes quicker when there's no traffic (which is rare) and the other takes 5 minutes longer but rarely has ANY traffic. The choice seems obvious, but I like to change things up and since today was a snow day for the kids in school, I'm banking on there being less traffic. I was right. Saved myself 5 minutes today.

4:52 p.m. Arrive at my sister's house and get Charley. Talk with sis for a few minutes, wrangle Charley and all of her things and we are in the car to go home by 5:05 p.m.

Untitled
She's such a faker!

5:22 p.m. We pull into our driveway. I go check the mail and there's a package in there. Yay! I get back in the car and Charley asks to go see Gaga and Grandaddy, who live next door. So instead of going home, we go straight there to visit for a little bit. 
Untitled
Charley refuses to let me document our day. JUST SIT WITH GRANDADDY SO I CAN TAKE YOUR PICTURE!

6:04 p.m. Time to go home. John will be home in just a minute. We give hugs and say bye to my parents and make our way back home.

6:18 p.m. Charley plays in her room and I check the mail and open my package. 
Recently Updated4
It was some reusable paper towels I ordered. Yay!
008

6:40 p.m. Charley is not hungry, I'm not hungry and John's downstairs working out. Charley asks to watch dinosaurs (Land Before Time) so I let her. 

022

7:15 p.m. Okay kiddo. It's getting late and you've got to eat SOMEthing. I offer her everything we have and she declines it all. Finally I get her to say yes to an apple sandwich (apples, peanut butter, raisins) and I make that for her. I set it down on the table for her and she won't eat it. Ugh. I try to force her, and no dice. She finally asks for a banana instead and I give in. Dinner tonight was kind of a fend-for-yourself disaster. She eats in the floor. I can't even remember if she had anything else besides a banana. Oh well. She is like me in that she's not a huge dinner person. I know she ate a good lunch so I'm thinking she truly just wasn't that hungry.

Recently Updated3

7:40 p.m. John is done working out and is making himself some dinner, Charley is riding her scooter around before bedtime. Oh, and at some point in the last 25 minutes I put her in her jammies. Tonight is not a bath night.

UntitledUntitled

7:55 p.m. We shoot for an 8:00 bedtime so obviously we are running a little late tonight. Tonight was just a weird evening. We didn't have a real dinner like we normally do (I never ate at all) and we're just running behind in general. We all play in Charley's room for a bit (including Reese) to sort of wind down. I clean up her room while we are in there as well. I also notice Charley's nails are like talons so I cut them.

091Recently Updated2

8:10 p.m. Charley's least favorite part of the bedtime routine! Brushing teeth! 

Recently Updated

8:15 p.m. Charley must be tired tonight. After we finish brushing teeth she gets in her bed without even being asked and asks me to read her a book. After just one book (some nights I've done 6-7 books...ahhh!) she is content to roll over and go to sleep.

Recently Updated1

8:18 p.m. John is going snowboarding tomorrow so he needs to get his stuff together for his trip since he's leaving straight from work. I upload the pictures for this post so I'll be able to type it all up tomorrow (now). 

8:35 p.m. Clink! He's all set so time for an adult beverage and our favorite show at the moment...

image

8:37 p.m. Dexter! Season 8 (the last season! :( ) episode 6. We tell each other we are only watching ONE episode tonight. Let's go to bed early tonight...

image

9:30 p.m. Oh man that was so good we've got to watch another episode! (This happens EVERY night.) So we start episode 7 and Reese cuddles up next to me.

image

10:25 or so: Time for bed! Or, well, time to get IN bed and we'll actually go to sleep after 10 or so minutes of playing on our phones. Good night!

4 comments:

diana bowers said...

PTing has caused Aidan to get up earlier, too!
Charley is so lucky to live next door to her grandparents.

Laura Diniwilk said...

Those pictures of you brushing Charley's teeth are hilarious! Lucia LOVES to brush her own teeth and refuses to let me help. If we are having a weird/rushed night and I forget, she refuses to go to bed until we do it. She is also a really big eater. I don't know why I always expect our girls to be more alike just because they were born a few weeks apart but I do. The apple sandwich looks yummy, I would have been totally on that if I were you. And I love looking at all of the house pics - your pantry looks like heaven.

Shannon H said...

You brushing Charlies teeth literally made me LOL because it look so similar to what I have to do to Ethan. I always let him try to do it himself but then still end up having to pin him down to make sure they are actually clean.

k said...

I loved reading this!

And you wrangling Charley to brush her teeth made me laugh.