Happy New Year! Here's what you've been waiting for: the obligatory year-in-review blog. (Here's 2009 & 2012...I'm not very consistent with these, huh?) Because subjecting you to reading about the last year of my life as it was happening on the blog wasn't enough. You must read it again. In survey form.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Purchased a home in my name. The first home was in John's name.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did! I made none, so I was able to keep them all! Yay me! I'll do the same for this year. I love getting all A's!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
It seems like there were babies everywhere this year. Mostly blog and online-turned-real-life friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thank goodness, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed in the U.S. this year. But I did my best to travel around my corner of the U.S.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you didn't have in 2013?
A successful pregnancy.
7. What dates from 2013 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't think there are any MUST REMEMBER dates.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Umm, a continuation of raising the sweetest little girl ever? She's pretty special, and I'll take it upon myself to take some of the credit for her.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Keeping up with friendships. I have really great intentions of keeping in touch with friends, and I never follow through. I hope my friends know I love them anyways, and I'll continue to work on it in 2014.
Umm, this was my answer last year. I just changed the 2013 to 2014. Obviously I didn't work on this very well.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing crazy. A cold or two.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone around me was equally well behaved, so we can all celebrate together.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Did I ever tell the story about the ultrasound technician at my last ultrasound when we confirmed the miscarriage? I don't think I did. Basically, she laughed out loud when I told her the reason for the second ultrasound, that I didn't agree with the dating on the first one and thought there was likely something wrong. Honestly, she scoffed out loud and went on to tell me how many people thought they knew their dates and were off due to this and that and blah blah blah. Anyways, she then fired up the ultrasound machine and said, Oh. You're right. But I never got much apology for her laughing at me when I was already pretty upset about the possibility of my second miscarriage. Way to kick someone while they are down. And yes, definitely changing practices after that, among other reasons. So, Ms. Ultrasound Tech lady made me appalled and depressed.
(The other part of the story is that I tried to explain to her HOW I knew the dates weren't possible because of how early on I took the pregnancy tests so that maybe she wouldn't be so insensitive to someone else in the future and her response was "Oh. I don't know anything about pregnancy tests." Good grief.)
14. Where did most your money go?
Mortgage of course. But if we're just talking about shopping I am 99% certain that I spent the most money on twice.com. I spent $629.70 on that website over the year. But even more exciting, I saved $348.55 with a lot of referral credits and also with coupon codes. My wardrobe got a major makeover this year!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Christmas! Having a child that got it this year made me so incredibly excited!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
You see, the problem with this question is that it assumes you listen to new music and keep up with the times. While I do listen to new music sometimes because the morning show I listen is on a top 40 station, I don't listen often enough to have a 2013 favorite so to speak. So, nothing.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier/Sadder: Hmm. I think the second baby thing is the only thing holding me back from being happier. It's just leaving me a little less content than I normally am, so I don't know if I can say I'm as happy. But I'm not sad either.
Richer: Yes! John's company takes good care of him and he got another nice raise this year. My company gave out raises too which will be completely wiped out when the 2014 health plan premiums kick in. Yay for feeling appreciated!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Camping. We used our camper just a few times this year. Want to do more camping in 2014.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Candy crush. Finally deleted that time sucker and am better because of it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
It was our first Christmas in our new house so we hosted Christmas Eve for my family, then had my parents come up to see Charley open her Santa gifts Christmas morning, and then went to their house later in the morning to exchange gifts with the family. Basically, same as usual minus a couple small changes.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Holy crap I'm about to change this one up for the first time. It's NOT a reality show. John and I finally got into a show we both like only about 6 years later than the rest of the country. We are waiting on season 5 to show up on Netflix so we can continue our obsession. The show: DEXTER. I cannot even fathom watching that show live and having to wait a WEEK between episodes. We just flew through 4 seasons in a few weeks. And seasons 5-8 get added to Netflix TOMORROW and we are both off of work. Too bad it's not a family friendly show or we'd have a marathon.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hates a very strong word and I stand by not hating anyone. I did develop very harsh feelings for a lady that sold kitchen gadgets...
24. What was the best book you read?
Can you see this link? It lists the books I read in 2013. Or at least the ones I remembered to list on that site. I think I rated all of those books either 4 or 5 stars so I liked them all. But, don't ask for a synopsis on any of them because I can't remember a thing about any of them.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I just realized I published this with a big fat blank right here. Apparently I was thinking something would come to me and I'd come back and list it. Nothing has come to me as of yet...
26. What did you want and get?
I wanted a chair for my office. My parents got me that chair for my office.
27. What did you want and not get?
I really want a new lens for my camera and haven't got that yet. It's pretty pricey, so....
28. What was your favorite film of 2013?
I went to the movies exactly zero times this year.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 this year, and according to the pictures from around that time frame, I went out to a local bar and had a few drinks with friends. Man! That must have been fun!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More vacations! Therefore, more time off!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2013?
32. What kept you sane?
I have a pretty great family. From my own little family of John and Charley, to my immediate family. They definitely keep me sane.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm not often stirred by political issues. I have my side, think the other side is crazy and that's that.
34. Who did you miss?
All my Blathering buddies. Hoping to make it to the Blathering 2014.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Met another of my online friends this year, Natalie, and she was just as great as I thought she'd be. Also, a new coworker Kelli was pretty great too.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.