Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Soundtrack of my Life

I'm participating in RambleRamble's Bring Back The Words again this week. This Last week's prompt is this:
Let’s hear the top 10 songs from that soundtrack of your life (and the moments they highlight).
I'm not necessarily calling these the top 10 songs of my life's soundtrack, but I very quickly was able to jot down these 10 songs as songs that instantly take me back to another point in my life. In no particular order:

1. Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down


As soon as I hear this song or any of the other songs on this album, I'm taken back to my high school senior spring break trip to Myrtle Beach. My boyfriend at the time got me my friends listening to this new band and we were obsessed with listening to them this whole week.

336_34818044324_8438_n


2. Steel Bars - Michael Bolton


My mom had this tape when my brother and I were little and for whatever reason, this song sticks out as the one that takes me back to my childhood. I also remember it playing while we were riding in the backseat of the early 80's Oldsmobile my parent's owned with it's brown velvety seats.

scan0142
The one on the right. Can you even believe this is the only picture I could find of that beaut?
3. You and Me - Lifehouse


John and I opted not to have a first dance at our wedding because we were just uncomfortable with people gawking at our horrible dancing - it just wasn't our thing. Anyways, before we decided to scrap it, I had decided on this song as our first dance song and I still think about that every time I hear it.


b (1160)
We did dance to Monster Mash as the last song of the night (it was the weekend before Halloween) and if this dance was THIS awkward, I'd hate to have seen a slow dance between us.

4. Work It - Missy Elliot


When an old friend and I first started going out to clubs when we were 18 (which didn't last long, trust me...it was an exploratory phase apparently) this song was popular and I remember hearing it over and over again. I think we ended up quitting the club scene on college nights to instead go to $1 bowling night so there ya go. And wouldn't you know this song was played out at the bowling rink stadium lanes what in the world is it called ALLEY too. [Sheesh. I'm not even making it up that it took me all that time and I almost had to Google it to come up with the word ALLEY.]

5. Ignition (Remix) - R. Kelly


This song was played on repeat at my 21st birthday party. Over. And over. And over. As I tend to do when I really love a song. I know every word (as do most people my age) and turn it up so loud when I catch it on the radio or Pandora these days.

9134_168817864324_2039031_n
We look like a crowd that enjoys some R. Kelly, no?

6. I Know You Want Me - Pitbull


At the resort on our honeymoon in Punta Cana this song was played over. And over. And over again. And over one more time. I guess because it has a little bit of Spanish in it and it was a popular song in the states at the time, they just figured the only song that would make sense to play all week was this one. I do still like it though and it takes me right back to the most relaxing vacation I've ever had every time I hear it. It is a relaxing song, right?

473

7. Mmmbop - Hanson



Go ahead and get your laughs out. BA. HA. HA. HA. Anyways, my two best friends and I really got into this album and spent a whole summer listening to it and having fun. It was probably one of the last summers I felt like a 'kid' even though I was 15. The next summer I could drive and therefore work and summers have never been the same since. So yeah. Hearing this song or any other from the album takes me back to carefree days of singing loudly, hanging up Tiger Beat posters and just having good, simple fun with my very bestest friends (who still remain my best friends today.)

8. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen


Speaking of those same friends, we could sing the crap out of this song in the car those next years after I got a car and could drive. We had several songs we loved to sing in the car, but this one is at the top of my list. We'd go play pool, go to the mall, go eat at Steak n Shake and whatever else we wanted to do. Life was good & so is this song.

9. These Walls - Trapt



Along came John and this was one of the first bands we both really loved together. I remember coming back from one of my family's functions and he and I were riding by ourselves and we had the windows down and this song blaring and we were both singing along. He was a new boyfriend and he came to family functions and fit right in and I just remember thinking at that moment how perfect everything was. (and still is....awwwww)

10. Goodbye To You - Michelle Branch
 



Backtracking a few years now, this was the breakup song I played out after the end of my first serious relationship. Apparently the lyrics used to match up exactly with how I felt and how our relationship was, but as I listen to it now I see very little truth to it. But, I guess those deep feelings have faded in the last 11 years.

4 comments:

april said...

A lot of those songs are ones of my past too, but also somewhere in the middle of this I thought DAISY DUKES! (even though it wasn't on your list) and remembered singing that with my best friend in 7th grade before school almost every day. haha, such funny things one remembers.

MillerMama said...

Ignition Remix was definitely the soundtrack for many college nights for me as well. And I went through a serious Michelle Branch phase. I feel like this is another blog idea I should steal from you. Thanks for doing all the work for me.

Tara said...

Dude. I totally went to see Hanson in concert. And now I have R. Kelly in my head.

happilyeverme.com said...

Seeing Trapt on here was kind of crazy for me. I went to high school with the band and knew them all well (I dated the lead singer's younger brother, too) but I have lost touch with them all and haven't thought about them in ages. Crazy!