Monday, November 25, 2013

Settle A Debate - Space

It's highly likely that the solution we collectively come to in this situation won't change a thing. But it will give me some insight into whether I'm in the minority or majority in my way of thinking about this very pressing issue.

Space. It's always at a premium. Whether in your car, at your desk, in your house or in your bed. It seems we can never get enough space. Let's take the bed as an example. Many of us have two adults, a pet or two, and even a child in the bed with you and space becomes a major factor.

We have a queen bed. Occasionally our cat will sleep at the foot of the bed but not often. Charley sleeps in her own bed. Which leaves just myself and John and some empty space. Let's talk about this space though.

In Person A's mind, the bed is divided in half down the center. One half is person A's, the other half is person B's and the line is not to be crossed. This space is mine and that space is yours sort of mentality. This person also has sat up in the bed to mark the spot that Person B's extremity was currently located to prove to Person B the magnitude of the line crossing offense. "Look how far over the line you are!"

Person B has a more relaxed approach to space. They think that if a space becomes available and it suits our current configuration then that space is for the taking. Not for the entire night but maybe just while it's available. If the space in question happens to be on the other person's side, then they may have the space back whenever they please. It is their side after all.

sleeping


Person B can also be quoted to say that it's like a child's toy. If you aren't currently playing with it then it's not very nice to keep it from any of your friends to play with. It's called sharing. And we should share any available bed space in this same way.

Person A responds that it's not like a toy, but more like a car. Just because you have parked your car in the garage all night and it's not currently being used doesn't make it available for those without cars. There's no guarantee that the car will be back in the garage next morning when I need it. So this person wants to keep all available bed space that is rightfully theirs to themselves in case they decide they need it at some point in the night.

So. What's the consensus, internet? Does Person A need to relax a little? Or does Person B need to abide by the laws of the bed as we should all know?

8 comments:

Dylan's mom said...

I'm with person A all the way, but I usually lose the fight for my space and we end up looking like the second scenario...

'HoulaMom said...

Person A is correct!! (AKA dear husband of mine stop sleeping with your hands behind your head and elbowing me in the head!!!) haha. This debate goes on in our house too.

Christy Rice said...

Person A all the way!

Kara Keenan said...

I'm going to say person B, because I am the bed hog in my relationship. I've told my husband that I wouldn't be adverse to going up to a King Size bed, but he's the one who prefers the Queen. So, he can complain about me hogging the bed all he wants, a solution exists, he just won't accept it.

Laura Diniwilk said...

In theory, I'm a person B kind of person, but the reality is that Justin is a person A but with the line drawn halfway through what should be person B's space, forcing person B to practically fall off the damn bed, so I have become a person A and also we need a king size bed kind of person as our marriage has progressed.

Katie Clark said...

I'm a person A. I don't really know why but I don't even want my husband to BREATHE on my side of the bed. Haha! A little goes a long way with him though.. You start getting relaxed with that line and he takes the whole bed!

Katie @ Being Dawson's Mom

Jason Woodle said...

Person B. Use it while you can and give it up when A reverses position or re positions themselves. If said space is not shared, cuddling/spooning cannot occur.

Jessica said...

Forgive my language, but Person B needs to get the f*&% on their own side of the bed. I have a thing about not being touched while I sleep, so if I roll over and someone is in my space I'm pretty annoyed.