Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Charley's New Room

Oh hey, remember how I was going to decorate my house and share it with you? Well, good news. You haven't missed anything because I haven't DONE anything. The spare bedroom is even more full now with décor and random furniture that you can't really get in there. I just can't bring myself to decorate and put holes in the walls until I have a concise idea of what I want to do. So yeah. Really, really slow going.

But! I did think it was only fair to finally get Charley's room complete. We bought the paint at the same time that we bought the yellow paint for the main living area so it's just been sitting around for a few months. I also had already decided on a color scheme (aqua, red, hot pink) and had hung the red and white curtains in her room. And that was all I had done so far. This weekend, we decided to finally tackle that project on Saturday.

This was the room as we began to get it ready for paint Saturday morning.
 
002004
 
 
 
John can paint a room really quickly and really well, so he let Charley take the first few brush strokes...
 
 
012

...and then finished it up himself in a few hours. I had collected embroidery hoops at Hobby Lobby and yard sales because I wanted to do the ever so popular fabric in embroidery hoops collage over Charley's bed. Mainly because we have a ridiculous amount of fabric remaining from the bird mobile business, and also because I liked it! And it was next to nothing cost-wise. So I started assembling that...
 
image


...and then John and Charley helped me get them on the wall. I had to hang them a bit higher than I would have liked so Charley couldn't reach them while standing in her crib, but overall, I LOVE the way they came out.

image 056057
 
 
After that was complete, I gathered up some stuff from the room o' decor across the hall and had John hang it all up. It came together really quickly and by 6:30 that evening, her room looked like this.
 

031
(No, the humidifier doesn't normally hang out on the dresser with it's cord so haphazardly placed. Humidifier lives in the bathroom except when it's in use, which it has been for the past few nights.)
027
I'll need to buy bedding (and a bed!) that matches once Charley transitions out of the crib.
037
(I didn't edit any of these pictures so the yellowy walls in the hall are not true to color.) 
 
I am thrilled with how it came out. I do have one little project left to do in there involving the three bird cages Charley had in her room at the last house, so once that's done I'll share that as well. But, I couldn't be happier with the change some paint and décor made in such a short time. The only things I purchased for her new room were the curtains ($15/pair, so $30...there's a second window not pictured), 2 gallons of paint ($45, which we only used 1 gallon...darn) and the embroidery hoops (MAYBE $10). Everything else was found in that wonderful spare bedroom full of décor. Pretty good, right?
 
Charley loves her "pitty" room, and that's ultimately what matters.
 
051

4 comments:

Katie Clark said...

It's gorgeous! I love the color combo! I wish I had a knack for decorating like this. Can't wait to see the rest of the house!

Follow me at Being Dawson's Mom

Mama Bub said...

The embroidery hoop wall is SO CUTE, and I love the wall color, too.

Laura Diniwilk said...

I am loving all of the new room posts from my lovely ladies who all had kids at the same time as me. Love love love the curtains, paint color, and the fabric. I was all, "what, no big girl bed?" and then I read the captions. I didn't even realize I was a caption skipper until now. I am excited to see what bedding you go with; that is always my favorite part. Is the crib convertible?

Jess said...

It's SO cute!!! I love the color scheme. I did the embroidery hoops over Natalie's crib too. :)