Monday, August 5, 2013

TV-less

We cancelled cable. I know, I know. The next thing you expect me to say is that we are going off the grid and only eating foods we grow or raise ourselves. Rest easy, Tuna. We don't plan on eating you. Yet.

031

But really. We paid $75 something dollars to hook up cable before we moved in because you know how annoying it is to wait for the darn cable man when you are already living in the house. And then closing got delayed, delayed, delayed to where we ended up paying nearly an entire month of cable ($90) for a house we didn't even live in yet, much less have a TV in. Ugh. So then we move in and realize we really don't watch much TV at all. John watches two or three series (Falling Skies, Justified, and something else equally as stupid) and I watch two shows (Survivor and Amazing Race) both of which are on broadcast TV which is broadcast for FREE. FREE. And we were paying $90/month for what, exactly? It would have been more fun to just flush that money down the toilet.

We already had the ability to access the internet through our TV and had been watching movies like that for a while. I had also recently read this blog talking about their cable-less set-up and had kept that in the back of my mind. We have a Wii and were planning on getting Hulu or Amazon Prime or Netflix or something once we pulled the trigger and cancelled cable. We hadn't decided what we were doing yet, but went ahead and called the cable company and cancelled, and then went a solid 3 weeks TV-less before making a decision. We really didn't miss it much. But I'm honestly not that granola. I like some trashy TV now and then just as much as the next person.


563
Charley got her Elmo fix on YouTube on the computer while we made up our minds.
Finally we started by buying an antenna for the regular broadcast stations. John has been purchasing episodes of his shows for a whopping $1.99 each the day after they air. Our current TV WOULD have worked by using the Wii, but to cancel out all of the money we'd be saving by not having cable John went and bought a new TV that made being cable-free easier. It is a smart TV that has a remote with a full keyboard (cool, right?) and has all of the apps accessible for YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and a million other things that I don't even know what they are. I agreed on the purchase because the new TV will have the ability to hang on the wall which fits in the long-term design scheme in my head for the living room. So, win-win. (except for that hit on the ol' bank account)

Also, the new TV came with a year free of Netflix so we've got that now too. I've read lots of people say that they also have Amazon Prime for their cable-less needs, but I don't really get that. What does that get you? Just old seasons of shows? We're not really in to watching old shows so I'm not sure I want to spend the $80/year for that just yet. We watch newer shows which we'll pay for as they air. (Because a season of say, 10 shows, will cost us $20 in total which is way less than the $90/month we were paying for cable.) I know you get the rest of the Prime benefits too, but I just haven't justified that for us yet. Someone help me out with that one.

I forget where I was going with this, but basically, if this is super old news to you and you've been doing this for years, give us some tips. I know our set-up and subscriptions will evolve as we figure this all out until we have something as cool as A'dell's, but we're just cable-less babies at this point. What should we do next?

10 comments:

Jessica said...

I do watch a lot of old TV series on Amazon, but we love it the most for kids' TV shows. Mister Rogers, Sesame Street, Dora. I don't get much use out of Netflix (I keep meaning to cancel). Hulu plus is awesome for currently-airing shows on NBC or FOX, I think. I mostly watch NBC shows on there. Some CBS shows you can watch the most current episode of on their website (for free). We don't have cable, either, and I don't miss it in the slightest.

Tara said...

We, like Jes, use Amazon mostly for kids shows. Netflix made a deal with Disney and it knocked all Nickelodeon shows off of Netflix. My girl has got to have Dora! Also, you can rent new movies on Amazon, and sometimes they will be free on Amazon Prime when they aren't on Netflix instant. It's not always an either-or.

Megan said...

I could do without TV too. I never want it on and the only thing I watch is The Walking Dead. Charley is so cute watching Elmo :) Also, HI TUNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so good to see him again!

Erica said...

We don't have cable. Anna watches Netflix all the time... On TV and on the iPad. I'm currently watching downtown abbey season 3 on amazon prime. I am a heavy amazon user though, I have prime mostly for the fast shipping.

'HoulaMom said...

We'd LOVE to do this. I'm curious how people do this who watch live sports? We watch almost no network tv (unless you count Friends and Seinfeld reruns...) and 90% of our tv viewing is sports. With the internet, it's almost impossible to watch them after they are over without knowing the outcome. How do people handle being cable-less that way?

Lacey said...

We aren't a huge sports family unless it's NFL which is on the network channels. (Or NASCAR, which John will listen to on the radio if it's not on TV). From what I've read sports is where the cable-less market is really lacking. Either network TV, or go out to watch the big games are the only options I think right now.

Heather said...

We canceled cable when Tory was born and never missed it. We had Netflix and bought an Apple TV to stream our purchased iTunes shows on our TV. BUT ... then we just got cable back a few months ago and it's AMAZING. Currently, we're numbing our brains with shows like Duck Dynasty and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I can't honestly say we watch enough for it to be worth the $90/month, but I can't say I'm ready to give it up either.

Heather said...

PS - we have Amazon Prime for shipping and it's great. My husband purchases everything off Amazon and it ships free in two days ($3.99 overnight). Seriously, the UPS guy comes to our house daily. At Christmas, I buy everything off Amazon and have it shipped directly to my parent's house in Nebraska so I don't have to ship it myself or fly with presents. Then, I just wrap everything when I arrive. It's worth it for that perk alone, but we seriously do use it all the time.

Kayla Rae said...

Just got rid of ours yesterday! I'm trying to figure things out. We got a Roku box.

Meghan said...

That's what I miss most about not having cable too, my NASCAR!