Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Not-So-Elmo

On March 4, 2010 I stated here on this very blog the following proclamation:

7. Birthday parties will just be with the family. Cake, ice cream, singing happy birthday and presents. I was always perfectly happy with this option, why won't my kids be??

And then on January 13, 2011 I stated the following:

3. Cartoon characters - especially Winnie the Pooh and any/all Looney Toons - will also not be on my child's clothing or in their nursery. Not even when they get old enough to request their favorite cartoon's apparel. Nope, so sorry.***
Which touched on my strong dislike for all things character.

Taking those two STRONG proclamations I made in pre-baby days, it will come as no surprise that we are doing an Elmo themed birthday party where we've invited over 40 adults and children over to our home. Makes perfect sense, no?

But, all that said, Charley is only going to be two. And I still get quite a bit of say over her party. Elmo may be one of her favorite things (although Barney is fighting a good fight to come out on top...much to my dismay) I don't have to saturate every piece of her party with Elmo things. I don't want Elmo plates and Elmo balloons and Elmo napkins and Elmo, Elmo, Elmo. Y'all know how I am about these things. I like things to look just so and Elmo isn't really a big part of my vision.

My sister dubbed this party theme:

The Not-So-Elmo Elmo Party

And I loved it. Elmo will show his furry face here and there, but not everywhere. I'm hoping to have things that may suggest Elmo without his face on everything. Selfish? Maybe. But my days are numbered with having control of party ideas and I plan on taking advantage.


Untitled
"Oh look! The placement of that smaller orange balloon in front of the larger red balloon reminds me of SOMEthing...I just can't put my finger on it. Elmo, maybe? Nah, that's not quite Elmo."

And you know what else? Much like last year's cat themed birthday party, there is next to nothing on Google or Pinterest for this party theme. So I'm having to come up with a lot of things on my own. I do like making things hard on myself you know. But even more than that, I get unnaturally excited when I come up with something great and then Google it to see if it's been done and: nothing. I can't wait to share those things with you after the party!

To make things just a smidge more difficult I have once again waited until the last minute. The party is in three weeks so one would assume two free weekends (I'm a working mama, not much time to do anything during the week) in which I could craft and plan and shop. But no, I will be out of town on both of those weekends. To demonstrate my last-minute-ness a different way: there are 17 days until the party - I am out of town for 9 of them and I work on the other 8 days. YAY FUN!

Tonight was not included in that calculation because while I came in the office to work on a party project, instead I am sitting in front of the computer next to a pile of red card stock whining about my procrastination to all of you lovelies. Naturally.

So! Any ideas you'd like to share with me? I'd love to be all super Mom and "oh, nope, thought of this alllllll on my own, but unfortunately I didn't leave much time for that. HELP! Please?

-----------------------------------------

***Sunday, as I was getting Charley dressed for the day I heard this 6 WORD question come out of her mouth:
"How about Minnie Mouse shirt, please?"
I have now officially rebutted every part of that proclamation claiming I wouldn't cave even when they were old enough to ask for it. What a bunch of bologna, pre-baby Lacey.

Untitled

4 comments:

Mama Bub said...

BEEN THERE. We mostly reserve character shirts for sleep shirts, but when they ask directly for them, it's realllly hard to give a good reason why they can't wear them to school

Erica said...

Parenting is a big slice of humble pie. Good luck with the party.

Heather said...

Struggling with the same over here. Tory is obsessed with Minnie Mouse right now. I found myself half-tempted to buy a Minnie Mouse sheet set for her the other day. Who am I?!

Hunter and his family... said...

Haha! I'm the same way! I was so against characters from Disney or other shows because I just thought it was tacky. Yep, I changed too. Hunter is in love with Barney more so than Elmo (which he still sort of is). Hunter's theme for his 2nd birthday is going to be Cars from Disney! He loves that too! Haha! Oh well, they grow out of it and move on to something else. One idea I thought of for Charley's party: Try and make the shape of Elmo's face using felt (super easy) and you can make them all different sizes and use them to hang or to make little face masks for all the kiddo's coming over.