Friday, August 16, 2013

After Bedtime

I recently read a blog post talking about the differences in getting ready for a dinner date between a childless couple and a couple with children. The comments on it are very obnoxious and I'd encourage you not to read them or else your opinion of society will drop just a bit further. Good grief, people.

It's a bit more spirited in it's language than I am on here (or in real life) so warning if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, but I relate to all of it. Even the part about the childless couple getting ready. I had forgotten what it was like to get ready to go out before children, but that was exactly it. You get home, relax, have a pre-going-out beer, shower, do your hair, turn the music on and then maybe get there a bit early to get your name on the wait list and have a drink from the bar. Ha. What a distant memory that is now!

I really try and schedule any outings until after bedtime if I can. Charley goes to bed at 8, so I feel like that is still an okay time for an adult dinner or drinks and it makes it so much easier on me. But, occasionally New Kids on the Block come to town and they aren't in the business of scheduling around John's work trips or Charley's bedtime. They wanted me to be there to rock out with them by 7:30! 7:30!? On a weeknight? When my husband is out of town?!

That particular evening I got home with Charley at 5:15 or so. I instantly went in to oh-my-gosh-what-on-Earth-does-one-wear-to-a-concert-these-days mode and rummaged around in my closet full of too-small-clothing while Charley pulled out every shoe I owned and practiced walking in them around the house. I was temporarily keeping my nieces this day too, so add two 9 year olds to the mix of shoe-trying-on and there were shoes everywhere. My sister got there around 5:45 or 6 and picked up her two girls, and took my one girl to my parent's house for me after I threw some toys and diapers in a bag for her. Whew. That was one task I wasn't sure how I was going to get done in my allotted time. Two minutes after she'd left I realized I never fed my child dinner. Whoops.

 A friend and fellow concert-goer was coming over early to check out my new house and I knew she'd be there before I would know it. The last time I saw this friend was a couple months ago on my birthday, and of course the only thing I could find to wear was the exact same shirt I was wearing that night. You guys know how crazy I am about that type of thing. But there were no other options. I decide to wear it again.

In the middle of that decision making process my friend shows up. I give her a house tour trying not to look flustered. I get to the master bathroom part of the house tour and I get my first glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair and make-up needs a major touch up, but ha, wouldn't you know - it's time to go. No time for touching up. I don't think Joey will be able to see me anyways in our nosebleed seats. As we run out of the house I am searching for my other shoe. Where on Earth could they have taken it?

(Sidenote: then, as I backed out of my garage in my hurry, my side mirror slightly grazed the molding around the garage pulling it off. I don't know why if it was only slightly grazed that it came off completely, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I get out of the car, toss the piece of molding back into the garage, shut the garage door and continue on.)

We pick up one friend and are on our way to pick up another friend when she calls and, God bless her, asks if any of us would like a sandwich for the road as she's about to make one for herself. Food! Oh, right! Of course! I forgot to feed myself as well, and yes, I'd love one! (It always seems like eating is the thing that gets left out in these rushed scenarios.)

Concert was great and I get home around midnight that night. John came home that evening from his work trip and picked up Charley from my parent's and put her to bed. I tally up the amount of time I got to spend with her that day (don't do this...it will just make you depressed) and I got about 30 minutes that morning (while we got ready for the day), and, including the time in the car on the way home, another hour that evening. And this, childless friends, is why I don't like to do anything before her bedtime on the weekdays. One and a half waking hours. That's just waking ridiculous.

But, on the bright side I got to rock out to some old school Boyz II Men (Do they still go by that whackadoo spelling?), 98 degrees, and New Kids on the Block. Although NKOTB sang NEW stuff too which really rained on my parade. How dare they?! I wanted a full evening of old stuff and if they needed a couple different things thrown in they could have done a cover or something. I am not one for change, people. I prefer my music old and dated.

Check out those awesome front row seats we had.

So anyways, next time I get somewhere (after 8, mind you) and I look a little frazzled and like I maybe have been rushing around to try and get to you, have a drink waiting for me, would ya? I do love seeing you too it just takes a lot of effort to get there. Just be glad that I think you are awesome enough to be worth that effort.

Untitled
Untitled

3 comments:

Kara Keenan said...

I saw this show in Boston earlier this summer (and we had similar front row seats). If NKOTB played a similar set at your show, yeah, the new stuff was kind of a bummer. I was depressed that they didn't play Funky, Funky Christmas, but I get it. Boys II Men was probably the best, in that they played only old stuff, and they did a good job with it. I didn't/don't know a single 98 Degrees song, so I used that to get another drink. I've never seen so many women at a concert!

diana bowers said...

This also would have been a great blog post for a Jen and Lacey picture to appear. :)

Hunter and his family... said...

LOL! I agree. I do not like to go out until Hunter is in bed. It just makes it so much easier and you feel at peace that your child is in bed and you can relax now. Plus you feel like well, its not like I can spend anymore time with them because they are tired and need to sleep so you don't feel guilty about going out either. Glad you had a great time!