Friday, November 2, 2012

The House

014
It's like The Emperor's New Clothes. There is totally a house behind us- you just can't see.

It's about time for an update, yes? Let me give a quick recap of the last 6 months first so you aren't forced to go perusing through my archives. (But if you'd rather do that, feel free!)

It started here. We intentionally stopped paying our mortgage. Still gives me knots in my tummy to type that out.

Then I shared with you the new house plans we purchased that we were going to build on the land we bought from my parents. Coincidentally, it's right next door to/in front of my parent's house!

After we had the plans, we began shopping around for contractors or builders. Our plans we purchased were a lot pricier to build than the website said they'd be. We start considering other options.

concord2We find a builder local to us that has a house that has a floor plan almost identical to the ones we bought. The floor plan is the biggest thing to me in terms of wish list. Must have everything I want. This one did, so we scrapped our plans and went with this builder and their plans as they could build their house plans much cheaper than ours since they were familiar with it. (Speaking of, we have house plans for sale if anyone wants them!)

We work on financing and get approved for that. And finally, FINALLY, the building process gets started. Only 7 months after all this started.

Meanwhile, with the old house we get a letter from our current lender. Foreclosure will happen in 90 days. That was in August, meaning November we have to leave. Sure, we had hoped the process would take much longer as it had with so many other people we'd talked to, but, can you really blame them? We weren't paying and they need to try and recover some of their money. So, since the house isn't going to magically finish itself in 2 weeks, we are moving in with the parents in the meantime. I'm actually pretty excited about it!

But, enough about that. Let's move on to the fun stuff. Like, how it's going so far. This was from earlier this week and I tried to label it a bit to orient you since it surely doesn't look like much so far. But I can see it, and I can't freaking wait.

8147922274_d3d466f07f_b
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

So we have exactly 2 weeks until we move in with my parents. We'll be there throughout the holidays and the hopefully in our own house soon after that. It's looking like early February, but of course that's just an estimate. 

Lately we've been busy packing up what we don't need and moving into a storage unit. It's really hard to figure out what we won't need for a few months, so I'm being super crazy and writing down what's inside each box and numbering each box on every visible side. So, while we are living with my parents and we realize we really shouldn't have packed our swimsuits as we want to go for a swim in January, I can look down my way-too-detailed list of what's in each box, find box #33 in the storage unit and drag out our swimsuits. Have you ever had to pack for a few months? WITH a baby? It's terrifying! How do I know whether or not I'll need my Halloween costumes, you know?

photo 3.JPG
I thought it'd be best to pack Charley away for a few months, too. Don't worry, it's a climate controlled unit.
photo 4.JPG

So that's where we are at right now. We will be spending all of our extra time for the next 2 weeks packing and moving. Except for the 3.5 days I'll be in New Orleans. Which leaves us with this weekend, and the weekend of the 17th/18th to do it all. Plenty of time as long as we make no other plans. Like the playdate we have tonight. Or the other playdate we have tomorrow. Or John going to play golf tomorrow. It'll all get done. It HAS to. 

5 comments:

Sassi_Gyrl said...

so exciting!! I hope you guys get all of this finished up by February!

Laura Diniwilk said...

I am actually surprised that they gave you as long as they did. 7-8 months with no house payment is a long time. Between that and not having to eat your loss on the house, it's understandable how foreclosure becomes an option in this market when it's not something you'd consider otherwise. It must be such a relief to get out of there and be done with this whole thing. I am so excited for your family to start this new chapter in your lives, and to see your beautiful home when it's finished!

Lacey said...

Yeah you would think 7-8 months is a long time, but we've had several people tell us it took 2 years or more before foreclosure proceedings began. So, no biggie as I totally understand, but just not what I was expecting when comparing to other people's situations.

Hunter and his family... said...

So happy for you guys! The house is going to be beautiful. So all of this moving and stress will be so worth it in the end! I promise! Good idea with the numbering of boxes. I was jut too worried about packing all of our stuff!

Hunter and his family... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.