Friday, November 30, 2012

A Renewed Tradition

One of my 101 in 1001 goals was to begin a new tradition. Now, since starting a family, this one can be checked off a million different ways because lots of traditions begin when you begin a family. But I hadn't pinpointed exactly which tradition I wanted to be sure to keep up over the years, nor which one I wanted to share as the ONE that completes the item on the list. But, yesterday it finally came to me. The best traditions (I think) are renewed traditions.

I've already purchased several things for Charley for Christmas. And I've sent Santa a list on her behalf for some of the other things I think she'd like. But one of the things I purchased for Charley this year is this Melissa and Doug puzzle.

It wasn't something I set out to find or something that she just had to have. But I saw it while doing some online shopping, it was a good price, and added it to my cart. Charley has one other Melissa and Doug puzzle that has the knobs like this one that she really seems to like, so I thought she might like to have another one. Done. Purchased.

And then yesterday, I was thinking about traditions within my own family. I realized that my parents, or, um, Santa has given us a puzzle for Christmas every single year for as long as I can remember. I think it was sort of their way of continuing to shop in the toy section every year even when we'd outgrown that section of the store.

Back when I was in school and had those glorious weeks off after Christmas I would always assemble my puzzle then. Now that I'm an adult and days off are hard to come by, I usually use New Year's Eve or New Year's Day as my puzzling day.

01/01/2011
New Year's Day 2010. Salsarita's, my phone and a puzzle sounds like a perfect day to me!
 So when I remembered that tradition I thought to myself that I would start it with Charley this year and I should get her a puzzle. Then I remembered I already had purchased her a puzzle and it was like  the circle was complete. I'm renewing this tradition with my own child(ren). Thanks Santa. Santa: I hope you were planning on keeping this going this year now that I've officially proclaimed it's a tradition.

Do you have a gift tradition like this one? Maybe the repeat gift every year in your family is beef jerky or a tin of popcorn or a fuzzy steering wheel cover? Tell me! I love hearing about other's traditions!

10 comments:

The Beane's said...

Cute!! I LOVE having our traditions too! One is PJs on Christmas eve. Another that I started with Colin is a Christmas book every year - I write on the inside cover and then when he's older he will have a collection Of books at Christmas.

Lacey said...

I love that!! I may just copy you and start that tradition too. You can never have too many, right?

MillerMama said...

Aww, I love it! The only tradition we had was to open one gift on Christmas Eve. I think we will probably do that as A gets older. And the advent calendar. We didn't do the little gifts some people do in them, but I remember my sister and I fighting over who got to move the mouse every day!

Hunter and his family... said...

Love the puzzle tradition!! Great idea! We buy an ornament from the santaclauschristmasstore.com and personalize it for us every year with the date and we just bought a Pickle ornament that is supposed to be hidden in the Christmas tree each year and the first person who finds it on Christmas Eve gets to open a present. Obviously, Hunter is too young for this but will do this when he is able to.

Laura Diniwilk said...

My favorite christmas tradition is matching jammies opened and worn Christmas eve (and as far into Christmas day as humanly possible). Everyone gets a pair, from the biggest to littlest family member. I need to post about this!

Love the puzzle tradition, how cool. We have actually done puzzles every year so far too!

Diana said...

We plan on watching all the cartoon classics, The Grinch, Frosty, Rudolph, etc. Also, my parents always played board games with us on Christmas Eve and the winner was able to open a present. When Aidan is older, we hope to continue this, but I haven't thought of any new traditions. Now I must think....

Megan@TwoDelighted said...

We always get a puzzles every year from our parents and we still insist upon it. I think that it is an awesome tradition and plan to do it with my family one day (if I ever have one :)). Very special times.

MillerMama said...

Also, a totally random comment, but in my mind every time I see you post about Laura ^, in my head it is "Diddlywink". lol

Lacey said...

John actually refers to her as Diddlywink too. :)

clueless but hopeful mama said...

I love the puzzle tradition.

My husband has gotten an ornament every year and has a huge box of them to show for it. So every year, I make an ornament for our girls. They are always excited to see what I made this year.