Friday, October 26, 2012

Hi Ho, Hi Ho: Part II

Part I

I've left you on the edge of your seats for 5 months now while you waited for Part II. I'm sure by now your legs are asleep and you have a weird cramp in your bum from only using a small sliver of booty to sit in your chair. Please, sit back. Here is part 2, and it's pretty good.

So I've got 3 jobs under my belt now and I am just now a senior in high school. Which means I am starting to get a cramp in my hand from filling out all that information on those pesky job applications. But I like working (except not on major holidays which is why I quit the previous job) and having money so I'm out to try and find something new. Just as I had done with my first 3 jobs, I relied on a new friend to get me my next job. I got hired, and started there just in time for the holiday retail season. I was an official Kids 'R Us employee and I really wasn't too fond of kids at all. It was a perfect match for me!


I liked my coworkers and liked that there was a McDonald's next door. (I ordered that #7 Crispy Chicken Sandwich [plain] so many darn times from that McDonald's. And then McDonald's had to go and change their menu and who knows what a #7 is these days, and they definitely don't have the same plain chicken sandwich. Curses!) I don't remember much about the actual job, honestly. I know we got paid on Friday's and sometimes my friend and I would ditch out of school a class or two early to go get our paychecks and go to the mall. I know there was a coworker there that went to the beach for vacation and while hanging out on the beach late one night, was passed by a masked man that had just committed a murder and had to go back to the beach town later to be a witness. (It's crazy what stuff I remember.) I also remember another coworker telling me my hair looked best when in a pony tail, and I still think of that to this day some mornings when I'm getting flustered trying to fix my hair and I pony tail it up.

And then, there's this little story I remember about actually working there, and it coincides with my confession about this job.

Confession: So I mentioned that I started working here during the holiday season, right? So, I was a new girl and was learning the registers just so I could be a back-up cashier should they need me. Well, of course they needed me - it was the holidays after all! So I get called up to the register and a family comes up with a HUGE pile of clothes they were purchasing. No biggie. I can scan, de-hanger, toss in a bag with the best of them. But then, dun dun dun. A COUPON. And I'm sure I'd accepted coupons before, but this one was extra tricky. It was making my register beep and clang and make all sorts of WRONG noises. In an effort not to alert my manager (who was busy with someone else) from the racket my register was making, I just started hitting buttons acting like I knew what I was doing. Eventually, it went through. And maybe it went through a couple times because when I got to the "Your total today is" portion of this transaction, I KNEW the total was way less than it should have been. And I'm sure the patient family knew too. But they didn't say anything and neither did I. I stuffed their receipt as far down in their bag as I could get it and prayed they got out of the store before someone checked their receipt (no idea why that would have happened anyways). They made it out safely, and I never told a soul about the disaster of a transaction I rung up. I just hope that this family still tells the story of the year they were broke and were going to go into overdraft just to clothe their children and then a Christmas miracle happened and the new girl at Kids R Us saved the day. And ever since that day their financial struggles turned around and they lived happily ever after. It totally could have happened, I'm sure of it.

I'm not sure why I quit this job. I think I got mad at the manager or something and never went back? Regardless, I was on to the next job. This time on the job hunt with a different friend. And lucky for us, we were interviewed and hired together. We were the newest employees of The Great American Cookie Company.



I've talked about this job before because I loved it so so much. There are SO many stories I could tell you about this job. Like how each morning when baking the cookies for the day I'd make myself a special cookie(s) - a peanut butter cookie topped with the cinnamon/sugar topping we used on the snickerdoodles. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Or sometimes I'd make a chocolate chip cookie for myself but I'd get rid of all of the chips first. Or lots of other concoctions that I came up with over my couple of years here.

scan0001 (2)
Yes, those glasses are gigantic and I cannot remember why I was wearing them. They weren't mine if that helps my case at all.)
 Lots of things happened here. One manager got fired for sexual harassment (he didn't harass me!). Another coworker was fired for stealing a Powerade (because the register was coming up exactly $40 short every time he worked and no one could prove it was him so they had to find another reason and fast!), another manager was fired for taking two cookie cakes for himself (another had-to-find-a-reason issue - he had all sorts of problems and winded up in prison not too long afterwards) and several other coworkers became great friends. I only left this job begrudgingly because it was a corporate store that was then sold to a franchisee, and I didn't want to work for the new franchise owner because I was mad. Basically. Don't come into my perfect cookie world trying to change things up. I'M LEAVING. & that was that. Sad.

scan0005
LOVED decorating the cookie cakes. What I wouldn't give for a giant bucket of icing right now.

CONFESSION: I ate way too many cookies at this job. And then, when it was time to throw out the cookies at the end of the day, I took entirely too many "old" cookies home and ate them too. & I think I wore size 5 jeans and was skinny and never had to worry about it at all. On second thought, maybe I'm glad I quit when I did, as I think I left my high metabolism there on the counter. I wonder if it's still there; I'd love to go back and retrieve it. It may help with the 6 cookies (not Great American cookies, sadly) that I had as my "side" for dinner last night. A piece of grilled chicken and cookies. Sounds delish right?

After that job, I started working in a toy store in the same mall. Again, I got this job because of a friend I made while working at the cookie store. He worked at a different mall store that ended up closing and he got the job at the toy store, and then hired me. Apparently I'm afraid to get a job without someone I know there.

Worked here for the next couple of years while I was in college. Learned a lot about toys (Thomas the Train, Beanie Babies, Lee Middleton Dolls, Calico Critters, etc.) and ended up maybe getting fired from this job. It wasn't really clear. Same friend that got me the job basically wrote me off the schedule and on one day I was scheduled to work by myself, I showed up for my shift and another coworker was there and said that he'd been called in to work. We called "friend", confused, and he basically said coworker was supposed to work and for me to go home. That was my last day there and I've been confused on what happened ever since. "Friend" and I hadn't really been getting along so much anymore anyways, so I cut my losses and moved on. It had gotten awkward with him, and I obviously had no problem jumping from job to job. This was my 5th job in 5 years, after all.

CONFESSION: I still didn't like kids. No idea why I chose to work at a toy store.

Also, this is getting boring for me now, so instead of dragging this out to a third edition, let me finish this real quick.

After the mysterious toy store "firing", I worked at Dillard's in the same mall for a bit.

Then right before I graduated college, I got a job in a call center at Wachovia to sort of get my foot in the door there.

Once I graduated, I got transferred within Wachovia to my first real job as a Database Analyst or some ridic title. I hated that job more than I've ever hated a job, EVER. So awful. Stayed there almost two years, and that "experience" got me my current job as a Financial Analyst, and then Senior Financial Analyst. I've been here five years. Or, I've been THERE five years. Saying HERE implies that I'm currently at work and blogging, and that's a ludicrous idea that I'd be doing anything besides work at work. Ludicrous, I tell you.

3 comments:

CJ said...

The GACC really was the BEST job ever!! We always had so much fun (minus the burns). I really do miss the "simpler" times!

Erica said...

I worked at a GACC too.

Diana said...

Geeze, quality of employees at GACC seem to be lacking...except you of course! Stealing, jail time, sexual harassment, wow!