Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Day In The Life: Working Mama

I promised this post to you nearly a year ago. I may be late, but I'm not breaking promises. This is a typical day for me.

(And for comparison purposes, this was a typical day pre-Charley, and this was a typical day while I was on  maternity leave - which I just reread & holy sleeping baby! It's crazy how you forget.)

Alarm goes off for the first time at 6:05 a.m. I hit snooze as fast as I can because Charley's bedroom is across the hall and we've been keeping her door open at nights since it gets cold in there otherwise. So, I am quick to slap the snooze button and I drift back off to dreamland.

6:14 a.m. Alarm. Snooze.

6:23 a.m. Alarm. Snooze.

6:32 a.m. Okay okay. I'll get up. (Some days I go one snooze further)

photo 1.JPG

John and I usually get up at about the same time. We both make our way to the bathroom and begin to get ready. The "goal" is to get both of us ready before we go to get Charley up at 6:45 a.m., so we can focus on her until it's time to leave. Obviously, I realize that that is a lofty goal since we only got up 13 minutes prior to this, but it's what I strive for, and why the first alarm goes off at 6:05 a.m.

I rarely shower in the mornings, so my goal is to either minimize the mess that occurred from sleeping on wet hair at night, or touch up yesterday's hair with a flat iron and/or baby powder. I wash my hair only a few times a week.

I get dressed, and then make my way to Charley's room where she's always peacefully snoozing. I always feel so bad having to wake her up, so I do it slowly and only turn on a lamp instead of the overhead light once she's awake.

I change her, dress her...

photo 3.JPG

...and make our way downstairs where John is already preparing his breakfast. A lot of the time he makes Charley's breakfast too so it has a minute or two to cool off before we get down there. She goes straight into the high chair, and I grab her milk out of the fridge.

photo 4.JPG

Bib her. Feed her. Clean her. Pick her up. Kiss her. Tell her bye. She blows kisses:

photo 1.JPG

John and Charley leave, and I run around trying to grab my breakfast/lunch/any last minute things I need for me. I SHOULD leave at the same time as them, but I rarely do. Therefore I am rarely on time. Oops.

Start the drive to work. I go through 35 stoplights on the way to work, so that's 35 chances for me to put on my make-up.

Park, and start my walk into work.

photo 2.JPG 

For the next 8 hours:

photo 3.JPG






During which I have a SlimFast for breakfast (no, I don't follow the diet but I like a quick, filling breakfast I can grab on the go, and I've been drinking these for breakfast for years), have lunch which is normally  leftovers, and do my work.

Until finally, it's time to leave and go get my shuggie pop. I get so excited to go get her every day. But, it's a pretty long drive so I have to contain my excitement for at least 45 more minutes while I make the drive.

Ding dong. Ring the doorbell. Sister comes to the door - sometimes with Charley in her arms - and I get some hugs and she gets lots of kisses. Usually chat with my sister for a few minutes, and we're back in the car for a 20-30 minute drive home. If John gets off on time, he usually will get home just a few minutes later than us and one of us is instantly on dinner duty since we try to eat by 6:00.

So one of us cooks, one of us plays with Charley. Or, if John isn't home yet, I cook and I let Charley rummage through one of the cabinets and pull out all of her old bottles and things. It entertains her, I get to still be with her in the same room, and I get dinner made. A win/win/win.

We eat, and then on some nights it's bath time. Tonight happened to be one of those nights, much to Charley's delight.

photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

After her bath, I put her jammies on her and John and I like to play with her in her room until it's time for bed. She has been going to bed a bit later lately (which I really like since I get more time with her) so we get to play until 7:45 or 8.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPG


When the eye rubbing starts, I get her cup of milk and we sit in the glider together while she has a little bit before bed.

After that, I brush her teeth, then lay her down. Nighty night, sweet baby.

photo.JPG
Yes, this picture was from another day. I didn't want to risk waking her up from the flash so I'm using this day's picture instead.

From now until my bedtime, I either a) watch a show (tonight was Survivor!), b) make bird mobiles (had to do this tonight too, so did it while I was watching Survivor) or c) play on the computer or iPad. John is usually doing the same, although he likes to be an over achiever and adds in an at-home workout right after Charley goes to bed. One day I'll be able to steal/borrow some of his willpower.

Throw in some kitchen cleaning, laundry doing, next day lunch-preparing, toy picking-upping, and an occasional grocery store or CVS run here too.

And then, a little bit later we head upstairs to get ready to go to bed. Showers. Brush teeth. Pick out and iron my clothes for the next day (very rarely happens). Set the alarm clock. Peek in at Charley and cover her back up. Crawl in bed and prepare to do it all again the next day.

Ahh, the life of a working Mama.

6 comments:

The Mrs./The Mom said...

I've had a post similar to this in my drafts since January.. Oy!

Diana said...

So you're a chronic snoozer, too?! I had to fix that problem, and the only way I know how is to set my clock ahead. For instance, it's 14 minutes ahead right now, so when I wake up groggy, I think it's 4:15 AM, but it's really 4:01 AM. I don't typically think about subtracting that early in the morning, so it fools me enough to get out of bed on time. However, when I figure out my trick, I have to set my alarm clock ahead more. When I get to 42 minutes ahead, I reset back to 7 minutes...

35 stop lights would drive me nuts! I'm sure lots of traffic, too. That's a long commute you have in the afternoon!

Heather said...

I'm so jealous John is home in the mornings to help with Charley. That would make life soooo much easier to have an extra pair of hands. I think my husband purposely creates loud noises only to jet out the door as soon as Tory wakes up. Some days I could shake him!

Charley Girl is getting so big and I love her smiley face. I hope we'll be able to get the girls together one day. I know we'd all have a blast together! Want to come up to our WI cabin this summer? I'm serious! Think about it...

Hunter and his family... said...

7:45 or 8:00! I need Hunter to get on that bedtime! I want that extra hour of playtime with him. Sean has started to try and let him take a nap around 4-ish before I get home so that I can have some extra time with Hunter but so far it really hasn't made much of a difference from his normal bedtime of 7. Oh well. Maybe when he's a little older. Ahhh, yes, the life of a working mommy!

Lin said...

I'm tired just reading all this. Wow.

It's hard enough working my 10 hr day, with a 1.5 hr drive to & from work, then getting home and attempting to find dinner...don't know if I'd survive if I tossed a baby into the mix. You're a supermom for sure.

Maggie said...

I am exhausted! You look way too cute for someone who wakes up so early and works so hard. I stay home and there are days when I can barely get all of us out the door in time for kindergarten (and I look like it.)