Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 25: Mama Knows Best

This is the twenty-fifth day of 'Lacey's More Funner 30 Days of Blogging' which I talked about here. The end is in sight....

Also, it is worth noting that I started writing this blog almost 18 months ago, and I'm just getting around to finishing it now. I have no idea why I procrastinated on this. Anyways, some of the stuff I wrote may seem a bit outdated. For example, "when you have kids"...


DAY 25: WRITE ABOUT YOUR MOTHER'S ADVICE

My mama has all the best advice.

158a
  • When taking pictures, take 'people pictures'. When you go back to look at your photos from a zoo trip you're not going to want to see 30 pictures of a giraffe. But instead a picture of you in front of the giraffe. People pictures, got it?
  • When you have kids & a video camera, don't just record a 5 minute video of your baby laying in it's crib. Make sure you also pan around to everyone else in the family too.
  • Don't forget to sunscreen your feet! Sunburned feet hurt!
scan0171
  • Take a vitamin every day. "I swear that I never get sick as long as I remember to take my daily vitamins!"
  • Don't wait until you are on E to get gas. (I may not always follow this one!)
  • If you are on a strict budget, here are some ways to save money: don't buy paper towels or band-aids - you don't need them - and don't turn on your air conditioning until after Memorial Day. (These were the norm in our house growing up...I can say that I do not heed this advice at all, but in case of emergency I have this advice stuck in my back pocket for safe keeping.)
  • After doing a load of laundry, fold them or hang them up right away. Saves you the hassle of ironing, most of the time. (I WISH I could follow this advice...I try and try but I just can't do it.)
scan0057
  • If you are having trouble with something and getting frustrated, take a break and come back to it later. You'll no doubt be able to do it much easier once you've taken a break and relaxed a bit. (Okay, this is one she always told us when my brother and I were trying to beat Bowser in Super Mario World and we kept dying and we were maybe throwing remotes. As much as we'd hate to stop and try again later, it worked every time. Mama knows best.)
So even if it took me about 18 months to write this all down, her advice never fell on deaf ears. I value everything she's ever told me, and hope to teach Charley everything she's taught me. And one thing she probably didn't intend to teach me but inadvertently did, is how to be an expert procrastinator, but to always finish what you started. (Even if she started de-wallpapering her kitchen a year ago and still has a little bit to go! I learn from the best obviously and I know she'll finish eventually!) Which is why I am going to finish this 30 day blog challenge that I started on June 29, 2010. I just knew this was going to be a much anticipated post, so I saved it for a while to drum up some excitement for it!

What great advice has your mom given you?
.
.

    3 comments:

    Diana said...

    My mom said to always pack a carry on bag with clean underwear, toothbrush and snacks when you’re flying. If they lose your luggage, at least you can have fresh breath and clean underwear.

    andrea said...

    My mom was a foster parent when I was in middle and high school. She told me that what you do at bedtime with your baby becomes habit with your child. If you rock them to sleep, they will need to be rocked to sleep every night. If you read to them, they will need to be read to sleep every night. If you simply let them get them selves to sleep. they will be able to form their own bedtime routines. She was 100% correct. It may seem kind of distant and mean but I didn't read stories to either of my kids at bedtime, I didn't rock them to sleep, I tucked them in if they asked for it, though. Neither of them have ever had issues sleeping in their own beds.

    Heather said...

    My mom always said "tan fat is better than white fat" - ha! It's not the most glamourous advice, but it's true (as I look at my albino white Minnesotan legs).

    Seriously though, I love how you documented all the little pieces of advice your mom gave you throughout the years. I wonder if I'd be able to do the same; remember all the little tips my mom gave us throughout the years.