If you aren't on Pinterest, you should be. I have become obsessed lately. I have done away with having any original ideas of my own, because other people's original ideas are way better than mine anyways. I have bulletin boards full of other people's ideas on Pinterest and I've been working my way through trying them all out.
In just this past month, I did/attempted TWELVE projects from Pinterest. Some came out awesome, some came out so-so, and some didn't come out at all. But I tried and that's all that matters.
First, I bought some glass ornaments to attempt two different DIY ornaments I had pinned. One was a simple hand print of a baby on the outside of a glass ornament. So cute, and seemingly so easy. At that point Charley was still balling her hands up into a tight fist the majority of the time, so I decided to try a footprint instead. Paint the bottom of the little piggie, press it against the ornament and voila. Complete. Um, yeah. Not so much. I forgot to account for the curved glass of the ornament, the wiggliness of the little piggies, the slipperiness of a wet foot, and the unsteadiness of my hand. John and I tried about 10 times I think. We kept going to wash the smudgey footprint off of the ornament in the sink, drying it off and trying again. But this one was a bust. We never did get it done and now her first Christmas has come and gone.
[As an aside, my sister (who keeps Charley for me during the day) just so happened to give me a picture frame for Christmas that she got at one of those paint your own pottery places & she got it painted with Charley's hand and foot print! I love it!!]
The other glass ornament project was really simple. It required cutting up something important from the year, curling it up, and sticking it inside a glass ball. You could do this with wedding invitations if you got married that year, or birth announcements if you had a baby, or anything really. The birth announcement happened to apply to me for 2011, if you didn't know.
So, I chopped up one of the extras curled them up around a pen, stuck them inside, and put the lid on it. It didn't fill up the ornament as much as I would have liked, so I may go back and add some curly card stock in pink (for a girl!) or maybe just red & green (for Christmas colors) to fill it up more to my liking. But, this is how it hung on my Christmas tree this year. This one worked and was super easy!
Looks lovely right? So when I was in charge of decorating for my BFF's surprise birthday party a couple of weeks ago, I decided I would try this. Seemed easy enough. Only, once the marble was placed inside the balloon, the balloon floated to the floor. The marble weighed it down too much. So then I tried a penny instead and Yay! It floated up to the ceiling! Only, 15 minutes later it was also on the floor. And so I went back to this picture and decided this caption is a liar! Because, if these balloons were all full of helium and floated up to the ceiling, they would all be on the same level and not staggered like they are. These had to be hung upside down on varying lengths of string. Liars! So yeah, this one was a big fat fail.
And, now, the last 8 things I've tried from Pinterest are all food related. Oops. It seems food (and the more un-healthy the better) is one of my favorite things. So here are the things I've tried:
1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough + Oreos + Brownie batter. This one came out AWESOME! So easy to do, too.
2. Garlic Parmesan Chicken. I know we made this one, but I don't really remember much about it. So I'm thinking it must have only been so-so.
3. Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Ehh. It was only okay. Mine didn't come out nearly this soupy and was more like chicken and dumpling mush. I think it's because in #8, I found a tip that said you can easily shred chicken in your mixer using the paddle attachment. This worked SO good, actually TOO good, that the chicken got shredded too much and soaked up all of the soupiness in my chicken and dumplings. Next time, I'll add more broth and shred for a shorter amount of time.
4. Creamy Chicken Piccata. We made this one last night. It was pretty good, but next time we'll be using less lemon juice and heavy cream instead of half and half. Will make it again though so this one was a keeper!
5. Crock Pot Potato soup. Loved this one! Will be making it again. & we even halved it and still had PLENTY.
6. Sour cream hashbrown casserole. Made this one for our Christmas brunch and it was delicious!
7. White cheese chicken enchiladas. We've already made this one twice. So, so delicious. Definitely my favorite recipe I've pinned.
8. As mentioned above, this was a tip to shred chicken using your mixer. Worked awesome! I loathe shredding chicken so this was a great tip to find!
(P.S. You can get to all recipes by going to my "food" board on Pinterest here. Just click on the picture and it'll take you to the site which it came from.)
Are any of you Pinterest fanatics also? Don't tell me you are one of those that pins a million quotes. If so, I won't be following that board! (What do you do with a virtual bulletin board full of quotes??) But if not, feel free to leave me your Pinterest name and I'll follow you too!