Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge: Day 6

Once again, I'm late and playing catch up. I just can't seem to do things on time these days...

 
Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge


The topic for Monday's holiday blog challenge was this: Share a Christmas dessert/treat recipe! This should be easy enough!

Each year I have high hopes for my Christmas treats. I come up with these grand ideas in my head, and somehow, they never come out quite as I had hoped, as demonstrated by the Whoopie Pies of 2009.

001 (25)

So, instead of sharing that failed recipe, I'll share a favorite. It's not Christmas specific at all, but it's all I've got.

Cajun Brownies/Goodie Bars/A-Million-Other-Names/Everybody-Calls-Them-Something-Different

529706575771

(I stole these pictures from Allrecipes.com because I haven't ever taken a picture of mine. It looks just like this, but this version doesn't look like it has pecans in it....which is totally unacceptable!

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 cup melted butter
1 egg (beaten)
1 cup chopped pecans

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 eggs

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Mix together the cake mix, melted butter and the egg. Stir in the chopped pecans. Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.

2.In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with the confectioners' sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time until blended.

3.Pour cream cheese mixture over crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Cool in the pan, then cut into squares before serving.

That's it. And, it's delicious. John actually requested one last night, so since today IS his birthday I suppose I'll make one for him tonight.
.
.

3 comments:

MillerMama said...

In our family that is "Gooey Buttery Coffee Cake". For real, that's what we call it. Sooooo good.

Monica said...

OMG yum!!

ali pitt said...

I made this gooey butter cake yesterday and the taste and texture was way off. After comparing it to other recipes, I concluded TWO 8oz packages of cream cheese might need to be reduced down to ONE. I do love the addition to the pecans in the crust though.