Friday, November 4, 2011

Facebookiquette

facebook logo

Love it or hate it, Facebook is pretty important socially these days. But, it's still new enough that there aren't established etiquette laws to follow yet. Much like wedding etiquette, there are things you just do NOT do. And I'm sure you all followed wedding etiquette if you are married, right? You wouldn't dare print the addresses on your invitation's envelopes instead of hiring a calligrapher, would you? That would be just awful if you did! (Confession: I PRINTED, as in from a computer, the addresses on my wedding invitation envelopes! Gasp!)

However, I am certainly not the boss of Facebook (that would be Jesse Eisenberg, of course) but I felt like I could maybe lay down a few etiquette rules to get us started.
  1. Thou shall not clog up my news feed with a daily picture of your child or pet. Sure, some of them are cute, but I do not need to see them daily or multiple times a day. If you do want to share a daily picture of your child or pet, get a blog.
    226
    See how that works?

  2. Thou shall not comment on a photo album when you intended to comment on just one picture. Your comment now appears every time new pictures are added to that album and doesn't make sense any longer.


  3. Thou shall not invite your entire friends list to play every single game. If I haven't played 99% of the games you've invited me to, I'm not interested. Thank goodness for the block feature when it comes to those pesky games. Before that feature was introduced, I could have screamed "LEAVE ME ALONE! I DO NOT HAVE ANY BRICKS FOR YOUR STUPID STABLE AND I CERTAINLY DO NOT WANT TO BE YOUR FARM NEIGHBOR." Thank you kindly.


  4. This one is a matter of preference, but, I don't see any reason to personally thank every person that comments on something you post. If you have something conversational to say back to them, then by all means say it. But if it's just a "thank you!" or "LOL" (which I'll get to that in a minute), then don't bother. I don't expect to be thanked every time I comment on someone else's picture.


  5. Speaking of the LOL, stop using it! Unless you are really laughing out loud, a simple haha shall suffice. When something really makes me LOL I can no longer use that because it's been overused by fake LOLers.


  6. I've mentioned this one before, but, thou shall not have a profile picture that does not actually picture you. I am friends with you, not Minnie Mouse or your child or your dog.


  7. This one used to be black/white for me, but I've since loosened up a bit about it. But, thou shall not friend the entire Facebook universe. I feel pretty certain that you do not actually know 5,000 people. If you don't know them, they can't be your Facebook friends.

    Now - this is the part where I've loosened up a bit. I now have a few Facebook friends that I have never actually met. Several of them are girls that I bonded with on a message board I post on, and a couple are bloggy friends. I have crossed the line on keeping my efriends and real friends separate, and I'm okay with that now. I kind of like some of them better than real life friends anyways! ;)

How many of those "rules" have you broken? It's okay, I forgive you. We can't all be perfect like me. What Facebook rules do you have that need to be added to the Facebookiquette list?

    5 comments:

    Jeff said...

    I would vote for you as the boss of facebook. I feel very strongly about a few of these. The LOL issue is probably the most important. Fake LOLers have completely tarnised a true LOL.

    I only have one thing to add. People should not tag pictures of their children as themselves. I don't understand why people do it, it just doesn't make sense to me.

    Joy said...

    I must drive you crazy! My Lou's are my profile pic most of the time! LOL! LOL! LOL! Ha Ha!!!! :-))))

    Laura Diniwilk said...

    "I kind of like some of them better than real life friends anyways! ;)"

    I am just going to assume by that you mean ME :) I am pretty awesome.

    Do you watch How I Met Your Mother? They were making fun of Facebook the other day and it was hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8Jh4Vw_3s

    MillerMama said...

    My child is totally my profile pic.

    Speaking of message board friends... if you are friends with other strangers...be my friend, be my friend! Pick me! If only I can find a super secretive way to tell you my true identity...hmm...you can email me maybe. Or search by my email? dizzygrl_13@yahoo.com

    Or if you don't want to be my friend, I'll just go pout in that corner over there.

    amandaloren said...

    I wouldn't mind seeing pictures in my news feed of beautiful Charley everyday:)