Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge: Day 2

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge
 
 

Continuing on with the holiday blog challenge, I am now on to Day 2: Favorite holiday tradition, new or old.

As most families do, my family has lots of holiday traditions. We have more traditions during the Christmas season each year than we do for the entire rest of the year. We have craft night, we go to the Southern Christmas show each year, we play the "game"/white elephant/dirty Santa/whatever-you-wanna-call-it each year on Christmas Eve with my immediate family, and also with my Dad's side of the family the weekend before Christmas, we go to the mountains to cut down our own Christmas trees every couple of years, and we used to go see the Christmas lights in McAdenville, NC each year also. But, not surprisingly, my favorite Christmas tradition is fairly new and has to do with food.

scan0104
Picking out our Christmas tree - 1995

Each Christmas morning, my immediate family and I gather at my parent's house to exchange gifts and eat. We used to pretty much have the same meal on Christmas as we did on Thanksgiving, but at some point during the last 10 years, we changed the Christmas meal to be a brunch-type meal. On top of the favorites - ham and mac & cheese - we now also have breakfast items. We have breakfast pies, and hash brown casserole, biscuits, cinnamon rolls and orange danish. I'm going to attempt a french toast casserole this year too, and I absolutely cannot wait. It is by far my favorite meal of the year, and on top of that, my favorite tradition of the holiday season. Because on top of having my favorite meal consisting of my favorite types of foods (breakfast foods!), we all gather at the longest table ever and eat together. And you can't beat having a long table FULL of people and food you love.

Okay so this is old, from Easter instead of Christmas, and is missing quite a few people. But, you get the idea. All big family meals are had at this long table!

Any good breakfast recipes to share with me should my french toast casserole be a bust? Remember, I'm not the best cook!
.
.

No comments: