Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Day in the Life: Maternity Leave

I once posted a blog detailing a day in the life of Lacey. This was in March 2010 and was pre-baby. I knew that when I posted it I would want to revisit this once I had a baby to see how different my days are. I'm currently within my 12 weeks of maternity leave, so I think I'll do this once more once I go back to work. But for now, here is a day in the life of a temporary-stay-at-home-mom Lacey.

I'm going to attempt to duplicate the post from March 2010 and take pictures of my every move. Only, some of my daily duties now require being halfway topless so I'm going to have to be creative with my picture taking or else risk becoming an X-rated blog. Here goes...

6:15 a.m.
Recently Updated15

Baby monitor sounds off and wakes me up. I'm doing the math in my head as I gather myself and walk over to the nursery to get my sweet baby out of her crib. Went to bed at 8:45pm, woke up at 6:15pm, that's, umm, 9 and a half hours of sleep! Go baby! I on the other hand didn't go to bed until close to 11, so that's 7 hours 15 minutes of sleep for me. Still, I'm very thankful to have such a good little sleeper!

[Ooh. Forgot to mention this part. At 4:00 a.m. we lost power because there was an accident near us, apparently involving a telephone pole and a car. That woke both John and I up because we sleep with a fan on for noise and when the power went out and we lost our white noise and we both struggled to get back to sleep. It was out for 2 hours, so 2 of my 7 hours weren't consisting of very good sleep. Oh well!]

6:22 a.m.

Charley only nursed for 7 minutes (her normal is just 10 minutes!) and I was able to lay her back in her crib and she went right back to sleep. So, then I went back to sleep. I mean, I had to make up for my 2 hours of poor quality sleep!
Recently Updated14
Nighty night!
Somewhere around 8:00 a.m.
I'm assuming John left for work and I very sleepily said bye and I love you and all that. I was still snoozing and not awake enough to take his picture as he left.

10:15 a.m.
Repeat of 6:15 a.m. Baby monitor wakes me up. Walk over to the nursery and get baby. Thank baby for giving me 4 more hours of sleep. Nurse her for only 6 minutes this time. She's distracted and wants to smile at me while nursing. Only, that doesn't work very well because you can't smile and suck at the same time. I take her off the boob and lay her on the boppy in my lap to have our morning ritual of coos and smiles. This is my favorite part of the day and the part I'll miss the most when I'm back at work.

Recently Updated16

10:56 a.m.
Smile/coo time is over and it's time to get back to business! Charley begs me to nurse once again and I let her. Who could refuse that face!? She goes 15 minutes this time.

11:15 a.m.
Another favorite part of the day for me: time to get Charley dressed! I lay her on her changing pad and change her diaper. The changing pad is on top of her dresser which houses her clothes so after diaper changing, I start looking through her drawers to see what I can dress her up in for the day. Charley loves this part too, because it involves three of her favorite things. 1, her changing pad, 2, being naked, and 3, her bird mobile.


Today I decide on a pair of jeans (newborn sized still!) and a stripey short-sleeved shirt of which I have 2. Another hand-me-down item from her cousins Lindsay and Lori. Why do I need two, you ask?

Well, 2 minutes after I dressed her she decided to spit up all over herself. Jeans were fine, but shirt and changing pad cover needed to be replaced. Maybe she didn't like today's shirt and that's why she spit up on it. But, I just put the identical second stripey shirt on her anyways. Mommy wins.


11:30 a.m.
We make our way downstairs for the day. Open the blinds, open the door and start scrounging around for breakfast for me. I'm in luck today...I happened to buy 4 cupcakes last night and only ate 2 of them. That means there are two left, and what better occasion is there to eat cupcakes than breakfast? I pour a big glass of milk and chow down.

Sure, I could have taken a picture of the actual cupcakes. Only, they didn't last very long and I didn't think of it until I had a mouth full of the second cupcake. In fact, I had already trashed the box when I realized I didn't photo-document this part of my day. So I dug the box back outta the trash to take it's picture.

12:00 p.m.
Charley is already getting sleepy again, so I lay her down for her first nap of the day on the couch. I let her nap on her tummy as long as I'm in the same room as her. That sleep sheep is a very important piece of nap time too.

12:21 p.m.
After I'm sure Charley is asleep for good, I have to relieve some of the milk build-up in my boobs. If you've been keeping track, Charley has only nursed for a total of 28 minutes since 8:30 the previous night, so there's quite a bit left in there which can get quite uncomfortable for me. Since I know that this nap is pretty long usually, I pump them empty and freeze the milk for use on a later day. & yes, pumping makes me feel like a dairy cow. Moo. This only takes about 10 minutes.


1:15 p.m.
The house is pretty much clean today, so the only tasks I've given myself today are to write a couple of thank you notes, make a doctor's appointment, change a doctor's appointment and to mail back a few forms for open enrollment for my insurance. Such a busy life I lead. I finish all of those daunting tasks in the next half hour and even managed to walk the thank you notes and forms out to the mailbox.


Mail's here!

Recently Updated17

4:15 p.m.
Okay. I just skipped 3 hours of the day and you may be wondering what I did all of that time. Well, I'm curious too. Charley just now woke up and I looked at the clock and realized I've wasted 3 hours on Facebook, doing this blog, and having a snack. That's all that I can recall of the last three hours and that's pretty sad. Facebook can suck you in and you lose track of time!

Anyways, Charley just woke up and was ready to eat again! 20 minutes this time!

4:35 p.m.
Immediately after eating, we moved down on to the floor for some time on her play mat. Tuna joined us too.


4:59 p.m.
She's done with the playmat. PICK. ME. UP. please?

Recently Updated19

And I can only assume why she was done playing, but, I'm pretty sure I know why. Because every day at 5:00 I do the same thing. And I think Charley has figured me out and wants to join in my fun. So I give in and let her join me.

Recently Updated18

But, as you can see she doesn't last very long and she's back asleep by 5:30. Meanwhile, John has gotten home at 5:20.

5:38 p.m.

Ring ring. My phone rings and it's my best friend Amy. She was going to come over and visit us today, but we are having severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings, so we both decide it's probably not the best night to visit. She and I end up talking for 23 minutes. All the while, Ellen is on pause and Charley is still asleep on me. At 6:01 I finish my episode of Ellen.

6:20 p.m.
I unsuccessfully try to lay Charley down while she's sleeping and she wakes up. John takes this opportunity to sneak in some Daddy time.

Recently Updated20

6:47 p.m.
Charley eats again. This time for 23 minutes. She tends to eat a lot in the evenings. Luckily before she got hungry I manage to throw some taco shells into the toaster oven to start my dinner.

6:51 p.m.
John goes to check on the taco shells for me as Charley is still eating. They are done but he doesn't take them out of the toaster oven. Why? I have no idea. They burn. He puts some more in for me. And they are done (and he nearly burnt these too) by the time Charley finishes eating.

I know I don't have much time, so as soon as I can, I go to heat up my leftover Fiesta Chicken as my taco filling. I realize we don't have any other toppings leftover except sour cream. So I end up eating 3 chicken and sour cream tacos. And since sour cream is my only topping, I am extra generous with it.

Mmmm sour cream.
7:30 p.m.
Wheel of Fortune.

7:54 p.m.
Charley's hungry again! 18 minutes this time.

8:00 p.m.
Survivor! Only my favorite show of the week. Charley naps after she finishes eating and lets Mama enjoy her show.

9:01 p.m.
Survivor is over, and I haven't talked to my Mama in 2 days so I call her. She just finished watching Survivor too. We talk for 26 minutes. Meanwhile, at 9:08 p.m. Charley decides she'd like to eat again. Luckily I can multitask. 18 minutes again this time. At some point John comes and gets Charley and changes her and puts her jammies on her.

9:30 p.m.
After I get off of the phone, Charley and I have some play time on the couch. She really just enjoys looking around talking to Mama.


She then starts to get sleepy so I attempt to go lay her in her crib for the evening. She isn't having that and I bring her back downstairs. John attempts to put her to sleep for me. She's clearly not ready for bed...

Recently Updated21

10:13 p.m.
Charley wanted one last meal before bed. 14 minutes this time.

10:30 p.m.
I lay her in her crib and she's out within minutes.
Recently Updated22

Which brings us to now...

11:15 p.m.
...and I sit at my computer, with my baby monitor, finishing up this blog. My bed is calling me and I'm going to meet it in just a few minutes.


Things to note when comparing my pre-baby day-in-the-life to today's day-in-the-life.
  • No, you didn't just miss it. I did not actually shower today. But I did shower just before bed last night which explains the curly bed head that I have in all of today's pictures.
  • I never changed clothes. What's the point? I say if I make it through a day where I didn't HAVE to change clothes due to spit up, then I had a pretty great day!
  • There was no exercising.
  • There was no dinner making. Instead all meals consisted of what I could find and shove into my mouth in the least amount of time.
  • In today's day-in-the-life, I had a hard time documenting MY day instead of Charley's day. I kept catching myself only taking pictures of her. Hmm. It seems she IS my life. Crazy how that happens.
And with that, I'm off to bed. My sweet baby will be up in 8ish hours so I better go get some sleep myself. I'm not looking forward to going back to work, but once I get re-established with a new routine, I'll be sure to show you what a day in the life of a working Mama looks like.

Good night!


Our Family: The Hapgood's said...

Awesome post, Lacey! Sounds like you have Charley on a pretty decent schedule. Lucky for you that she can sleep an average of 8 hours! Hunter averages about 5.5 and is a tough cookie when it comes to taking an afternoon nap. Good job, mama!

Laura Diniwilk said...

WOW, Charley is an amazing sleeper! Our night schedule goes something like - bed at 8, wake up to nurse at 12, 3, and 6, back to sleep til 9 or 10. But since we still cosleep the nursing is super fast and we are both pretty much asleep the whole time.

I have tried to do a day in the life twice while on leave. Take lots of notes and pictures, never get around to doing the post. Sigh. I should try tomorrow, since it's my last day :(

'HoulaMom said...

Holy cow you have a terrific sleeper! I'm so jealous. Gabriel takes 2 naps during the day-around 8 am and 2 pm for half an hour, then one around 6 pm for about an hour, then sleeps for 3 hour stretches at night.

Anyway, my point is, your days look pretty awesome! Enjoy every minute, even the hard ones.

Rimi said...

haha! crazy baby life :)

thank you for the comment...feel free to pop by and enter my latest giveaway!