Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Parenting Report Card

It's only been one month, but I figured it was a good time to see how I was doing on my personal parenting report card that I have made for myself. If you don't remember, I told you here and here about things I absolutely would not be doing once I was a mommy, and I promised to come back and tell you how it was going so you either would or would not be 'mocking me later.' All I have to say for myself is this: SO WHAT!?

I will just list some of the items here and show/tell you how I've done. Some of the things aren't relevant yet so we will have to revisit this later.

1. I wrote: This one is the most important: I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER own a minivan. UNLESS, I have septuplets or something that simply cannot fit in any other vehicle. Mark. my. words.

Well, John and I have both purchased brand new cars in the last 2 months. If you were a betting person, what would you say the chances are that at least one of these cars is a minivan? Well...

photo2
His - 2011 Chevrolet Silverado

019
Mine - 2011 Honda Pilot
My grade: A+

Not only did I not succumb to the world of minivans when I quickly realized our Honda Civic was too small, but I also went ahead and got the biggest Honda SUV so it could grow with our family and rule out any need to upgrade for a very long time. Unless of course, like I said before, I have septuplets or something. Lord help me if I do...

2. I wrote: My kids will never sleep in the bed with me. Cats are welcome; children get out!

Okay, this one is tricky. You see, Charley does pretty well with letting me put her down while she's still awake at night without crying. But sometimes she does need to be put to sleep first. And what's her favorite way to be put to sleep?

268

By laying on my chest, of course. And what does a sleeping baby on my chest + 4:00 a.m. equal? Mommy falling asleep too. So, a couple times she has slept on my chest as I've [sort of] slept propped up in the bed. But, in my defense, she has never actually slept ON the sheets themselves, so in that case:

My grade: C

3. I wrote (although I was joking): "You don't know what love is until you lay eyes on your baby." How could I possibly love another human being more than I already love myself?

Easy.

029

My grade: F

4. I wrote: Strollers are too much trouble. Too big, bulky, don't fit down the aisles of my favorite Juniors' departments. (Just kidding on that last one; although I stayed in Juniors for as long as I could, I did finally find my way to the ladies department). After my kid is able to walk really well, they will be walking. Really well.

I have no excuse for this one, except I was unaware of the awesomeness that existed with certain strollers. I loathe the travel system strollers, and I'm sure that's what I was referring to when I wrote that before. My stroller is so awesome though and I can't wait to use it every single time we go somewhere. (It's the Baby Jogger City Mini + car seat adapter if you happen to be in the market for a stroller!)

009-1
Trying to rid myself of some of that butt swelling that happened during pregnancy!
My grade: F

5. I wrote: Showers and bathroom breaks are private time. No kids allowed. This one sounds so obvious when written out that there really shouldn't be any question about it!

So what exactly am I to do when I wake up drenched in sweat (true story...almost every single night), desperately needing a shower, John is at work, and I am the sole caretaker of my sweet lil lady?

002


Bouncy seat on vibrate in front of the shower of course! She loves it! I still stick to my rule about bathroom breaks though once she is mobile. We'll see how that one goes... ;)

My grade: C

6. I wrote: My facebook profile picture will always at least have me in it. There will never be any confusion when my status says: "I am as drunk as a skunk", and the picture beside it shows a drooling, toothless babyface. Something is just not right about that.

Current Facebook picture:

313837_10150447937744325_810434324_10931630_1618198996_n
Me + toothless baby = approved Facebook profile picture
My grade: A

7. I wrote: I will not, under any circumstances, have stick people on my car.

I'm not big on stickers of any sort, and have already removed the car dealership's sticker as well. So you can be sure there are no stick people taking up space on the back of my new car either.

My grade: A

8. I wrote: I am against words on my babies' clothing. There will be no "My Mom Rocks" onesies, bibs, or t-shirts. Words belong in books, blogs and newspapers, and not on clothing.

Ugh. I still hate the words. But, I was given some wordsy gifts and didn't take them (all) back surprisingly. And today, I wanted Charley to wear her little purple pants, and was searching for a onesie to match little purple pants and only one onesie out of the thousands in the stack seemed to match.
photo
The little elephants are actually purple.
I mean, she does love her daddy, but it's not necessary to write it on her clothing. I also love my daddy and wore a plain black shirt today. Gasp! I'm doing my dad a disservice by not proclaiming my love for him on my clothing!

My grade: C (since the wordy clothes really won't get much use as long as I'm dressing her)

9. I wrote: Cartoon characters will not be on my child's clothing or in their nursery. Not even when they get old enough to request their favorite cartoon's apparel. Nope, so sorry.

This is a bigger offense to me than the words, and I have secured a cartoon-character-free home thus far. EXCEPT for one Tinkerbell blanket we were gifted that didn't have a receipt and therefore I couldn't return it. It hasn't gotten any use though at all. And actually, one of my twin nieces politely suggested that she could take it off of my hands if I didn't want it, and I would have given it to her had there been 2 of them.

Therefore,

My grade: A

10. I wrote: I will not blog only about my child. I hope to have a good mixture of what I blog about now, plus baby thrown in here and there. This is Life of Lacey, not Exclusively Life of Lacey's Child.

Gulp. Well, in the time since Charley has been born I have posted 9 blogs, 8 of which were about Charley. But, she's new and I'm sure once her newness wears off we'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;)

My grade: D

So, that's 4 A's, 3 C's, a D and 2 F's. 7 grades are average and above and only 3 were not. I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far and haven't left too much for you to mock me over. Take that, naysayers! And as with any good report card, I think I just earned myself a trip to go out for ice cream!
.
.

4 comments:

The Mrs./The Mom said...

Don't stop posting about Chraley! The newness never wears off at least to me. She's 4 days older than my baby and I think of them as virtual friends... wait that sounds weird...

The Beane's said...

Isn't it funny how things change after your child is born?! I have said many things "I'll never do this..." and after Colin got here, sure enough I do them!
haha
Love this!

Laura Diniwilk said...

Hah I love this one! Cosleeping was one of my "I'll nevers" that I got a big fat F on. And bribing my kid with candy to use the potty. I haven't technically done that yet but it's coming.

I am waiting to see pics of your house now that it's "Charleyfied" - do you have baby items on every surface like I do?

Diana said...

Love this post. I also thought NO CO SLEEPING, well, when it's the only way Aidan will go to sleep, I give in.
Also, I also get excited about using my City Mini stroller. It's so easy and light that I hope someone asks me how I like it so I can just tell them the many reasons!