Monday, October 24, 2011

Driving School

If you've been wondering where I've been (and lets face it, you've been checking over here daily, haven't you?) I will admit that I have been at the beach with my parents and baby. If you've been around for a while, you know we go to Pirateland campground in Myrtle Beach, SC about once a year with the entire family, but this trip was just a few of us since my nieces and nephews are in school this time of year. This was just a little getaway to take advantage of my maternity leave and a much needed vacation for my parents. Even John got to join us for a few days too at the end of the week.

Anyways, the campground is pretty large and you can rent golf carts to get around everywhere. We have rented a golf cart every year for at least the last decade and all of the adults would (seemingly) have had a chance to drive it around at some point or another. Imagine my surprise when I learned this secret: my dear mother had NEVER driven a golf cart! Somehow throughout all of these years she had always had a driver; the diva that she is. [In her defense, there are usually 7 or 8 other possible drivers with us, so maybe it's not too far fetched that she had never actually driven the golf cart herself.]

So it became my personal mission to make sure that she drove a golf cart at some point on our vacation. I volunteered my dad to be the driving instructor, and pestered my Mama to take the golf cart for a spin until she finally gave in. This was the tactic I used when I was teenager and I was trying to get her to agree to let me do something I wanted. It usually worked then, so I thought I'd give it a try now too. (Sorry Mama!) And would you believe that I've still got it? I was able to pester her into the driver's seat and Daddy hopped in with his clipboard to act as driving instructor.

293a

I stayed back at the campsite to 1) take pictures and 2) take care of the baby. I considered taking Charley and riding along with the student, but when the driving session started out like this, I was reassured that I had made the right decision.

286
Sorry Mama...but your face is too funny here not to share!
But she passed with flying colors. Apparently, the instructor replaced the classic driving school requirements of three-point-turns and parallel parking with a more campground related tasks such as circling a picnic table three times.

296

I am proud to say she is now a licensed golf cart driver, and neither her, nor my dad, nor the golf cart ended up in a lake. I'd say that's a success story!
.
.

No comments: