Friday, October 28, 2011

Accent Vlog

Eek. I'm about to post my first vlog ever. For you non-bloggers, that simply means a video blog. I know I posted the video of me singing Gangsta's Paradise not too long ago, but that wasn't nerve-racking at all since I am such an excellent singer, er, rapper. This is just talking though. Compare it to getting up in front of the entire class (in this case the entire WORLD since everyone clearly reads my blog) to do your oral presentation. My knees are shaking at the thought of it.

A few observations before I post these videos though. First, I make tons of faces as I talk. People that know me - do I always do that or is this just a product of my oral presentation jitters? If I do always do that - Is that annoying? Because I was almost annoyed at myself watching them back. Sheesh. What's wrong with a normal face, Lacey?

Next, look out for a secret Charley appearance in the first video. She was napping in the Boppy on the couch behind me, and her little foot kicks out from under her blanket around the one minute mark. Look out for it right above my left shoulder. She's such a show stealer, that one.

And finally, between the two videos I had to attend to Miss Fussypants. The time elapsed was about one minute long. And how did I calm her down so quickly? Well, I stuck her on a boob. And then did the second part of the vlog. Yes, I vlogged while breastfeeding. And yes, I did manage to keep any boob shots out of the picture. Whew. I'm quite impressed with my multitasking these days, myself.

Anyways, here were the rules of the vlog. Apparently this little blog idea is floating all around the internet, but the only person I've seen do it is my very best e-friend Laura at The Diniwilks. She is fab! But I think you should do it too. Come onnnnn, it's fun!

Here are the rules:

Say the following words:

Aunt, route, wash, oil, theatre, iron, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, Alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pajamas, caught

And answer these questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that curls into a ball when you touch it?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you use to change the TV channel?

Here is part 1:


And then part 2...the boob part. Man, talking about my boobs on my blog seems to be all I do these days.



Edit: D'oh! Just watched this second video after it was posted and realized that Flickr cut off my video after a minute and a half! Boo! All I had left was the last question, to which I answered "remote" so you really didn't miss anything except maybe a couple more faces I made. And also you missed me asking all crazy Canadians to participate because I like their accents.

What do you think? Southern? Did I offend any Canadians by calling them crazy? Did I offend any "pop" sayers by saying you are WRONG? And also, what is the word for rain while the sun is shining? There is a word for that??

And lastly, because this question wasn't addressed and I feel that it needed to be, the name of this article of clothing on my head in this picture is a toboggan. A "winter hat," as some may call it, is just silly. Calling it a "winter hat" is basically like saying you don't have a name for it at all.

021
Yes, excitement over snow. We don't get it very often down here!
So, your turn! Let me hear those accents!
.
.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm only slightly offended. I call it "pop" which is a very Utah term. My wife is from California where it is "soda". When you said all pop sayers were wrong she was quite jubilant. I was more offended by her jubilation than I was by you.

Jeff said...

By the way, this is a super fun idea. I always listen to people's speech and try to guess where they are from based on the words they use.

Laura Diniwilk said...

Yay!!! I think this vlog originally started because all of the girls going to The Blathering wanted to be able to recognize each other, and it just kept going from there. I'm not cool enough to go to The Blathering, but I hope to be next year. In which case, we should totally both go and be roomies to cement our EBFF status :)

I really only heard the southern accent when you said Alabama. Otherwise, you sound a lot like me.

I think it's funny how all of the soda people will defend it til the day they die, but the pop people are like, whatever, i call it pop, you say soda, what's the big deal?

I talk about my boobs a lot too. BOOBS!

Shannon said...

Ok I totally did one of these ( and even admitted I stole it from you in the post lol) Very fun idea. PS the hat is called beanie. They're all beanies ;)

Christy said...

If it rains when the sun in shining it is called "the devil is beating his wife". Thanks Manu!

MillerMama said...

Oooh, how fun! I always ask people I "meet" online how they pronounce things and what they sound like. Way easier to do it this way I suppose.

I probably will never do it because I don't have a webcam and am far to lazy to rig my video camera and then upload the video... But I don't think you sound Southern.