Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Things I Do For You

I have a feeling that this is going to be a regular topic on this blog now that I'm a mommy and (sorta) selfless. Because giving Charley the absolute best I can give her is on the forefront of my mind, and sometimes I am going to have to do some pretty crazy things in order to do that for her. But, I'd say she's worth it.
009

So, this edition of 'The Things I Do For You' comes from Charley's very first week. I am breastfeeding Charley, and I was well aware that the first few weeks can be toe-curling painful. I will say I was mentally prepared for that aspect of it, even if I wasn't aware just how painful it would be. But regardless, when you are in pain, you are constantly searching for a remedy.

I think Charley was around 4 or 5 days old. She was breastfeeding like a champ, but I wasn't exactly perfect in my technique. When you don't get the baby latched on just right, they can then suck the skin off of your nipples. Yes, OFF of your nipples. It's painful, to say the least. And quite vampire-esque when you take your baby off of your nipple and she's got your blood in the corners of her mouth. I will say that I finally figured out what the heck I was doing and I don't have this issue any longer, and it's funny NOW, but I definitely wasn't laughing then..unless it happened to be opposite day.

So right boob had taken a beating. Lefty wasn't perfect either, but lefty was tougher than righty. Regardless, you need to use both boobs or the one you don't use will get so full of milk that it then hurts of that ailment instead. But in between needing righty, I was on a mission to remedy the skinless, bleedy situation. And this is what I did for you, Charley.

I found information on a very reliable and informative website that suggested a saline solution to ease sore, cracked nipples. It even had the recipe to make your own saline solution on the website and lucky for me I had all of the ingredients: salt & warm water. So I make the solution and read the instructions on how to apply the remedy:
After breastfeeding, soak nipple(s) in a small bowl of warm saline solution for a minute or so--long enough for the saline to get onto all areas of the nipple.
I am to soak my nipples in this solution? Logistically, how am I to make this happen? The first day I did this, my thought was that the only possible way was to do this as I was laying down. And where do you lay down? In the bed of course! And lucky for me, John was already in bed for the evening trying to go to sleep. A (not so) willing helper!

So I take my bowl upstairs, set it in the bed, and lower myself into said bowl with John steadying the bowl as I go.

nips

I successfully dipped nips without any spillage, and it seemed to be working! "I will continue dipping nips until they are healed!", I proclaimed!

Luckily, the next day I must have been less sleep deprived and was thinking more clearly. This day I realized that there was no need to risk a major saline spillage in our bed. I could simply place my bowl on the kitchen counter, and dip my nips this way! It would just look like I was taking a standing-up-nap on the kitchen counter.
nips2


And so I continued dipping nips on the kitchen counter for a few days until all was healed. Righty is still a little wimp, but all is well these days with me, Charley, and my nipples.

The End.
.
.

7 comments:

Robin Harvey said...

Wow this is so funny. My goodness do I remember these days!! Thank you for the drawings I think thats what made the story! Thank you for making me laugh :)

April said...

YIKES. But glad you found a solution. & that last picture is priceless!

Missy said...

Oh the dipping of the nipples is totally cracking me up! Charley is just super cute in that pic!

Shannon said...

I was dying with laughter. Sorry to laugh at your expense, I totally understand your pain though, and now I kinda of wonder if I should give this a try lol.

Laura Diniwilk said...

Hahaha, perhaps my purple nips and your salty nips could be friends (too weird? sorry, am sleep deprived)

Kayla Rae said...

I love your visuals they are hilarious! And that picture of Charley is beautiful.

Hales said...

31 weeks...and in all seriousness I almost pissed myself when I got to the pictures lol! A much needed laugh. Glad to hear the home remedy helped though!