Saturday, September 24, 2011

Charley's Birth: Part III

Part IPart II

So...where were we?

And so the doctor tells me the problem and then decides....

...that I am in fact going to push this baby out. First, she just needed to make a little adjustment.
sunnysideup


Because, you see, the doctor had just determined Charley was sunny side up. And, since you know I'm not talking about breakfast, that just means she was face up instead of face down in baby terms.  By being in that position, she wasn't able to tuck her head as she was being pushed out, making her "stuck" and thus the reason I had been unsuccessfully pushing for two hours and forty minutes.

Now, it really wasn't as dramatic as I made it out to be, but who doesn't love a good cliffhanger? Basically the doctor came in and determined what the nurses were unable to see. [Actually the nurses did mention that she may be sunny side up a couple of times, but couldn't really tell based on what they could see.] The doctor then stuck her hand up there, grabbed around Charley's head, and flipped her around. She didn't even really tell me what she was doing until after she was done and then I was ready to push once more. I wasn't feeling any less exhausted, but now since something had finally happened, I found a renewed sense of energy and was ready to go again.

And yes, this does mean that all of that pushing and all of the muscle usage that my body endured was for nothing. But, what matters is the end result, and in twenty short minutes after the doctor flipped Charley around, I got my end result.

Charley Jane ~ Born 9/4/11 at 6:58 a.m.
6 pounds 2 ounces and 20" long

101
I was truly in love, but she was just maybe a little too goopy and sticky at that moment which is the explanation for my facial expression!
I was finally able to push her out after I had already given up on myself. I think there were about seven hundred people in the room at this point and they all cheered me on and helped me do it.  It was so surreal and I felt so accomplished. My first thought when they held her up for me to see - "Whoa that is a lot of arms and legs." She was long and lean and beautiful and ours.

124

John wasn't mentioned much in the story, but he was definitely there the entire time. I am pretty independent apparently and didn't need to squeeze the living daylights out of his hand, or scream obscenities at him. He just hung around and actually watched Charley's birth, and I couldn't have asked for any different of him. That's really all I wanted was his presence. He did cut the cord after her birth and I'm thankful for awesome nurses that grabbed the camera from him and got a picture of that moment that I would have otherwise missed.

105

After her birth, I then delivered the placenta, and then, if enough stuff hadn't come out of my uterus already that morning, the doctor started sticking her hand back in there and pulling out tennis ball sized blood clots and such. It was fascinating and disgusting at the same time. I guess I'm grateful that she went ahead and took them out then and didn't wait for them to fall out on their own while I was sitting on the toilet later...I may have thought that I had just lost an organ in the toilet if something that size fell outta me!

Finally, she sewed up a first degree tear (I am very lucky that I didn't tear very much and didn't have to deal with the painful recovery in this area afterwards!) and maybe I had just turned wimpy at this point, but the pulling of the string as she was stitching me up was more uncomfortable than child birth.

The hospital strongly encouraged one hour of skin-to-skin time directly after birth and just a little bit of wiping her down. So she was laid on my chest for the next hour and we started to call family members to come back to the hospital to meet her.

The first family member she met after her hour on my chest was Daddy.

132

My family had all arrived too (minus my sister, bro-in-law and nieces in Florida) and were so excited to meet Miss Charley too. She is so lucky to be loved by so many and she just soaked up the love as she was passed around the room.
169
One of my favorite pictures from the day - meeting Gamma and Grandaddy.
Meanwhile, I stayed in the hospital bed recovering. I was starving as I had only eaten a small breakfast and some cheese and crackers for lunch the day before. Oh, and maybe 2 or 3 popsicles during labor. When I don't eat for a while, I get really weak and often grumpy. I had just had a brand new, healthy baby so I definitely wasn't grumpy, but my face went extremely pale(r) and it was very evident I needed food NOW. I ordered french toast from the hospital room service and scarfed it down as my family loved on Charley, and also as our new nurse (who we LOVED) took care of Charley.

154
MMmmm Milk!

We spent the rest of Sunday, all of Monday, and the morning of Tuesday with a camera in our poor baby's face...
222
232
214
252

....and spent a lot of time with our very welcomed visitors. & then on Tuesday morning they allowed us to leave the hospital with a brand new baby! I'm still questioning the hospital's decision on that as John and I really felt like we had no idea what we were doing!

2011-09-09

And that's the story,
of how we came to be,
a family of three.
.
.

5 comments:

The Mrs. said...

What a beautiful birth story! I agree with the fact that the hospital maybe should have evaluated letting us leave with the baby just a little while longer! Congrats again!

Missy said...

Okay so that was super gross and amazing at the same time! I definitely appreciate you sharing all the bare details because for someone like me who doesn't have kids, now I know what to look forward too lol
She is just so beautiful! Congrats again!

Laura Diniwilk said...

Love the one of your parents. Charley looks so alert in all of the awake pictures (and wise beyond her days). So adorable!

April said...

You're amazing-- good job miss mama!! & nice to meet you, Charlie : )

you three are a beautiful family.

MillerMama said...

I have finally returned to blog land... LOVE all the pics! Great job!