Monday, August 29, 2011

Cooking Up Charley

As this pregnancy is nearing the end, I wanted to make sure I wrote about how it was for me carrying Miss Charley Jane. Anytime you ask someone a pregnancy related question after their children are here, you get this response, "You know, I don't really remember!". I think that once the baby is here, you seem to sort of forget all of the little details you experienced over the 9 months leading up to that point. So, in case I am up all night with Charley and thinking to myself that I never want to have another child, I can come back here and see how easy this part was for me. Not saying it would be easy if I get pregnant again, but at least it's good to be optimistic!

First Trimester

crackers


To the general population, first trimester equals puking your guts out every morning. For me, thankfully, it wasn't that way at all. There was a total of TWO times where I actually puked up food. And ironically neither of those times were in the morning. Take THAT "morning" sickness! [If you are a lover of details, I will tell you that the first time I puked up a strawberry banana smoothie, and the second time was pizza. I would tell you which one tasted better coming back up, but I'm thinking at that point I'd be crossing the TMI line.]

What I did have though, was nausea pretty much all day. Crackers were my friend and toothbrushes were not. Brushing my teeth in the morning would make me puke up that yellow bile in the bottom of your stomach about 50% of the time. [What? Did I cross the TMI line again?] But, I never once called in sick to work, and was very rarely late due to this "morning" sickness. I kept thinking I better suck it up because it was going to get a lot worse and I'd need my sick days, but then it never did. Poo. I should have taken advantage at least a couple of times!

The first trimester ended in mid March, but had I not known exactly when it ended, I wouldn't have realized it. The nausea sort of gradually declined and my energy gradually came back. It was definitely not an immediate change like it is for a lot of other people.

Second Trimester

Second trimester was from mid March until mid June. During this trimester we found out Charley was a girl at our 18 week ultrasound on April 20th. Then, I got a free ultrasound 2 weeks later because a new ultrasound technician needed practice. I am still very paranoid that Charley is not a girl though even with 2 ultrasounds saying she was. The reason? Well, everyone knows how bad I wanted a girl, and it almost seems too good to be true that I got what I wanted. During the first ultrasound we were given pictures of the between-the-legs shot and there was definitely nothing there. But, can't little boys tuck those things out of sight sometimes?

And then, at the next ultrasound, the tech asked me if they told me what I was having at the first ultrasound. My response was exactly this - "Yep. They said I'm having a girl!" And afterwards I wanted to kick myself. Maybe this new ultrasound lady saw something different, but since she was in training she just trusted the judgement of the first ultrasound lady instead and confirmed that it was a girl too. I know I'm being overly paranoid, but the lingering thought won't leave my mind that we may bring home a little Conner in a dress instead of a little Charley.

Other than that, it was business as usual this trimester. No symptoms at all, except some feet swelling, and I eventually learned how to handle that too with extra water intake and elevation. So second trimester was spent at yard sales, a Daytona trip, weddings and a bachelorette party with a little growing belly.

New Folder (4)-1
New Folder (4)1

 Third Trimester

This is the part that is supposed to be really uncomfortable, exhausting and miserable. I'm happy to report that I'm not really agreeing with that. I have 19 days to go and I have really only been exhausted maybe the last few days, and uncomfortable, sure, but not so much that I would feel the need to verbally complain. I mean, over the weekend John was out of town and I ended up taking a 9:30p.m. trip to Target Friday night, and stayed up until 1:30 a.m. Saturday night at a friends house just chatting it up. I don't think someone super uncomfortable or exhausted would be doing those things!

Walking upstairs is pretty tiring and requires a quick collapse on the bed for a few minutes afterwards. Bending over to pick something up is a definite no-go and only happens if it's something I really need...such as a dropped Cheetoh or something. Only important things, obviously.

My wedding rings have been off for about a week now due to some hand swelling and they still technically fit, but I have a mini panic attack each time I try to get them off and it takes more effort than usual so I just decided to take them off for the rest of the pregnancy. And speaking of swelling, my feet, legs and ankles have perma-swell at this point. It's 90 degrees here today and I am wearing pants that really don't fit me anymore just to hide the fat knees and feet. You could see it in my maternity pictures too, but it seems worse to me now. Fat legs and feet and knees are the worst!

The only thing that has really bothered me is this: random people talking to me. I avoid eye contact at all costs, and wear my best bitch face anytime I'm in public. The combination of those things usually deters the majority of people that I can see are thinking about talking to me, and the few that do miss out on my obvious body language definitely get the point with my short answers. It's not that I don't like talking about my pregnancy (I mean, duh, here I am at 1,057 words and I'm still babbling on) but I don't want to talk about it with strangers. [Okay, I guess I should clarify...strangers IN PERSON, because strangers over the internet don't bother me apparently.] They wouldn't talk to me if I wasn't carrying around this big belly, and pregnancy isn't something so uncommon that it requires a discussion. I mean, there are nearly 7 billion people in the world right now, meaning there were nearly 7 billion pregnancies. It's not all that special. [Although Charley is extra special, so maybe that's why they are wanting to chat it up with me.]

Okay this is getting too long now. Let's wrap this up.

I've gained 42 pounds.

I have no stretch marks on the majority of my tummy (a few at the very bottom), but have them on my sides, inner things, and butt. It's worth noting that originally I was only cocoa buttering my belly, and I know that isn't supposed to do anything, but ironic nonetheless.

I didn't have any major cravings. I liked to eat anything with cinnamon and Mexican food a lot. Guess what I liked before I got pregnant? Yep, cinnamon stuff and Mexican food.

I had an occasional bout of indigestion or heartburn or something. I don't really know the difference or what they are, so I don't know what to call it. Tums always took care of it.

I have had some Toni Braxton Hicks contractions, but only a few a day and had I not read what they were, I would have no idea that was even a contraction. Those kind aren't uncomfortable at all.

I am still sleeping at least 8 hours each night, and rarely if ever get up to pee. I pee more often during the day, but not anything crazy like every hour. I had a strong bladder before pregnancy and it seems to have fared me well!

And as far as Miss Charley's movement....she's a good mover. She moves the most when I'm sitting and it's never been uncomfortable for me. She's never kicked me in the ribs or anything and has been consistent enough that I don't send myself into a panic that she isn't moving enough.

And finally, here I am this weekend:
37w1d

And that's about it. I think this easy pregnancy has made me unnaturally excited and anxious about contractions and such coming over the next few weeks. I think I'm expecting more of the same, and I'm guessing it's not going to be as easy as these past 9 months. But I can't wait to introduce her to the internet...how do you think my family would feel if I shared a picture of her here before I even invited them in to the hospital room to see her? I mean, you guys are my blog family, how do they expect me to pick one family over the other!?

And now, I'll remove my bitch face and ask if I left anything out. Don't worry, I won't be a meanie and I'll give you a nice answer to your questions! And how many of you that had difficult pregnancies now want to strangle me? Discuss.
.
.

2 comments:

Hayley Woodle said...

I made it in the blog! I'm "weddings and bachelorette party" :)

BTW, thank you for making pregnancy sound not so scary

Can't wait to meet her!

CJ said...

I'm so glad you've had such a wonderful pregnancy. It does make it that much more enjoyable. I'm so happy for you guys and cant wait to meet Miss Charley (via blog or face-to-face). Good thoughts are being sent your way for a speedy delivery too (after all...that will be another great blog topic :) ).