Friday, May 6, 2011

On Becoming A Daddy

Not me of course, because I'm more in the market for becoming a mommy, but for John who is slowly becoming a Daddy.

When a woman first discovers she is pregnant, Mommyhood begins. There are thoughts of superficial things like how you want to dress your baby and then super serious thoughts about how you want to raise your child...although you don't have to tell me that many of my "now" ideas will change when it comes down to it. Regardless, it's instantaneous for a woman.

But, in my (very) limited experience, it's not the same for a man. When he finds out he's going to be a Daddy, it means just that. He's GOING to be a Daddy, but not just yet. He has a good 8 months before he has to put that hat on. When his wife tries to talk to him about their baby, he can't focus yet. It hasn't really become a reality yet.

But slowly, as ultrasound appointments are attended, name suggestions are thrown around, and the house starts to fill with baby stuff, Daddy starts becoming a Daddy. But you'll have to catch him in the act because he'll hide it from you otherwise.

So when I brought home the stroller and diaper bag from the garage sale last weekend, I thought I could see the Daddyhood light shining a little bit brighter as he took the stroller for a spin around the downstairs. And later when I was upstairs and he was downstairs, when I heard the loud rip of the Velcro opening I knew he was checking out the diaper bag. But, I just smiled to myself and didn't say a word.

At some point this week though, it changed. No longer was he admiring the baby stuff behind my back. He was ready to show it off to the world. He WAS a Daddy whether he could hold her or feel her yet or not. When he walked outside while I was on the phone yesterday in plain view of any and all neighbors, I knew he had officially crossed over.

john+tuna


He's ready. Tuna, maybe not so much.
.
.

12 comments:

Missy said...

Oh my gosh! That is hilarious!

Kayla Rae said...

Wow I am cracking up at work, looking like a crazy person! That is hilarious!

The Beane's said...

Awwwwww! This post is so true! Funny, but so sweet! I am so happy for you and John!

Jeff said...

That made me laugh out loud. I never use the term 'lol' because I feel it is overused in situations where people are not actually laughing out loud. But this time you earned it. I give you an official lol.

'HoulaMom said...

OMG. I LOVE that picture! Your poor kitty...

The Diniwilks said...

HAH! I love this...I still remember Justin's first "daddy moment". He got a little misty after watching Happiest Baby on the Block because it made him feel like he would know what to do with the kiddo. Swaddling became HIS THING and he still brags about how much better he is at it to this day. Is there anything better than watching the hubs getting daddified? I think not.

P.S. You look ADORABLE in the header!

Melissa said...

OMG I just died laughing!

(exoh from TheBump)

Diana said...

Your husband is awesome!

MillerMama said...

HA! I can just see my cat letting someone do that to her - she'd tear them apart! The look on Tuna's face is priceless!

Shell said...

Oh wow, I'm wiping tears from my face laughing so hard! Trying to imagine how long it took him to actually get Tuna into that thing...

Christy said...

This is so precious and so funny........ You crack me up! You and John are going to be wonderful parents!! I am so happy for you

heatherebee said...

Just looked insane when I burst out laughing at work. :) Awesome. Love your blog!