Monday, May 2, 2011

Being Cheaptastic

As you know, my family and I are into 2 things: 1) saving money and 2) garage sales. Ironically these things go hand in hand so I don't have to prioritize these items. I am allowed to shop until I drop at garage sales because that just means I get the shopping bug out of my system AND get things we need or want for cheap! It's a win-win!

(What's not so win-win is the early start time to garage sales, but the thrill of getting a really great deal makes the afternoon nap you'll need so worth it!)

Turns out I'm going to be needing quite a few new items for this baby. As luck would have it, baby items are quite easy to find at garage sales and are usually in excellent condition because babies only use things for short time periods themselves. So, I have a pretty lengthy list of items I'm in the market for this year. And garage sales have not been disappointing.

Here are some of the best deals I've gotten so far this spring.

Before I knew the sex of Charley, I was skeptical to buy anything yet. But, one Saturday morning, I came across a bebePOD seat in green that I couldn't pass up. It was still in the box and included  the tray and tray covers, and was only missing the attachable toy. When I saw the price tag for $5, I was sold!
057
$60 at Babies R Us. I paid $5. 92% off
All things I've bought this year aren't for baby, like this item. I, Lacey Lastname, have never owned or used a toaster oven. We didn't even register for one before our wedding because I am still unsure of their use. But apparently they are easier and quicker to use than the oven in some circumstances, so I was willing to give them a try. When I came across this toaster oven which matched our other counter top appliances in brand and in color, with the nice price tag of $6, I was sold once again! The couple that sold this to me had recently combined households and were just selling things they had duplicates of. It even looks like it had barely been used. Their loss, my gain!

045
$70 at Target, I paid $6. 91% off

I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to brand name purses, clothing, etc. I do prefer one brand of purses (Elle) but I get them at Kohl's when they are on sale, plus a 30% off coupon, and usually some other deal stacked on top of that. So while I may still pay $30, I cannot fathom spending $100+ on some stupid purse.

So, when I got pregnant and started hearing other mommies talk about their designer diaper bags much like designer purses, I really had no interest. Not because I think the bags are ugly or anything, but just because I think it's a waste of money. But would I feel the same way if I found one of these designer diaper bags at a garage sale for 93% off of retail price? Of course not! Now we are in a price range I'm more than comfortable with!

So when I bought the $150 Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag for $10 on Saturday (from a VERY snooty woman, no less) and realized that when I start carrying around a designer diaper bag in a few months and people are going to start thinking I'm one of these snooty people, I did hesitate for a second. But, I'll be proud to tell them I only paid $10! In your face designer-diaper-bag-toting mommies!

041

042
$150 on average, I paid $10. 93% off
I have decided to go the Snap N Go route for my stroller for the first 6-12 months or so (however long the baby is still in the infant carrier). It's just a frame with wheels that allows for the infant carrier to snap on top and is very lightweight and folds small, which is good for me since I have a smaller car. They are pretty inexpensive as they are, selling for $75 or so which is not too bad considering other strollers' pricing.

When I found this deal on Saturday, it was too good to be true. I recognized that it was somewhat an older model since it was blue and not black like the most current models, but for this price, I can try it and if it doesn't work with newer model infant carriers then I'm really not out very much. How much you ask? Well, how does this sound?

039

I couldn't pass that up! 94% savings again! I don't know about you, but when was the last time you saw a store advertising savings that big? Um yeah, never.

037


Which brings me to my final point: When you start getting things at such a great price, you may struggle with purchasing mundane things like milk or gas at full price. What do you mean Mr. Gas Station Attendant? There is no 90% off sale on gas? But honestly, besides the necessities, I can't tell you the last time I bought clothing or shoes or anything of that nature at full price. Full price is for the suckers, I say!

So, are you a sucker or a bargain shopper? Don't worry, I like suckers too. Cherry is my favorite.
.
.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Well said sister bargain shopper!

Missy said...

Okay so I totally need to come garage sale shopping with you! You find the best deals!
Have you seen that show, Extreme Couponing on TLC...you should definitely check it out, seems like your kind of bargaining. I have totally gotten into the coupon clipping, because I am all about saving money nowadays!

MillerMama said...

Those are some awesome scores! I'm jealous. I can't wait until the weather here is nicer so I can hit up some garage sales too.