Sunday, May 29, 2011

101: Workin' On It...

There are several items listed in my 101 in 1001 goal list that are multi-parted or they are completed but I haven't shared with you just yet. Instead of leaving these until 2013 to talk about (because knowing me and my memory, I won't remember the first parts enough to be able to prove to you that I completed them) I am going to update some of them here. Plus, it makes me feel like I have somewhat accomplished some of this massive goal list. Whose idea was it to make these silly goals anyways?

This is a long one...so you may want to tell your kids to leave you alone for a while and let you read this...this is way more interesting than your kids anyways, right?

_________________________________________________________________________

First, I highly underestimated the number of pictures I take. Number 4 on the list is this: Take 1001 pictures in 1001 days. Turns out I only needed 83 of those days to complete this goal. In my defense, I had to add some easy goals in there because there are some really daunting ones in the list too. For example, number 23: Spend an entire day without turning on the computer/no internet. Virtually impossible....I've tried. I am going to try to accomplish this one one day on vacation. It's gonna be tough.

Regardless, here is the lucky picture #1001. My Daddy working on our Christmas craft in his workshop on craft night. What a good Daddy he is!

063

_________________________________________________________________________

Number 1 on the list is gonna be another toughy: Read 101 books in 1001 days. Now, if I had kept up with the original pace, this would mean I would need to finish 1 book each 9.91 days. It didn't seem too daunting at the time.

Given that calculation, I should have read 25.8 books by now. I have attempted 15 books, and only completed 13. Gulp.

Here's the list so far. My new revised pace for book reading in order to finish in time is 8.4 days/book. Gulp again. I may have to start counting 'The Cat in the Hat' and other books I'll be reading to little Charley.
Kathryn_Stockett_The_Help_book
My favorite of the 13 so far!

1. Heart of the Matter - Emily Giffin
2. Lucky - Alice Sebold
3. Remember Me - Sophie Kinsella
4. Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult
Eay, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert [just could NOT finish it}
Broken - Karen Slaughter (had to return it to the library before I could finish it)
5. Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
6. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan - Sophie Kinsella
7. Shopaholic Ties The Knot - Sophie Kinsella
8. Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay
9. The Help - Kathryn Stockett
10. Happily Ever After - Nora Roberts
11. A Secret Kept - Tatiana de Rosnay
12. Girls in Trucks - Katie Crouch
13. Men and Dogs - Katie Crouch
_________________________________________________________________________

Number 10 on the list is this: Eat at 10 local restaurants I've never eaten at before. Should be relatively difficult since 1) John and I rarely eat out and 2) when we do we go back to our favorite Mexican restaurant every single time. It's taken a little convincing, but I have ventured out to 5 different places so far. Hey! That's halfway complete...wahoo!

photo 42
Here would be an appropriate place to give you a picture of my food from one of these restaurants. Instead, you are getting a picture of a receipt.
My list of restaurants and what I ate there so far is this:
  1. Red Rocks - Ben Bourne's Buffalo Calamari, Cassi Smith's Petite Filet
  2. Mama Ricotta's - Pollo Romano
  3. Cantina 1511 - Queso Fundido, Enchiladas de Dennis
  4. Bricktops - Homemade Guacamole, Steak Frites
  5. Roosters - Salami and Cheese Wood-fired Pizza
If you are in Charlotte...I'd recommend any of these! So far we're 5/5, but my favorite was probably Bricktop's. That guacamole was mmmmm, mmmmmmm good.
_________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of guacamole, it has helped me complete a piece of number 7: Try 10 new foods. Tried it, loved it, and it's on my list of yummy foods for good.

Ironically enough, it's the ONLY food I think I've tried so far, so I'm 1 for 10. But give me time...this one is a toughy for a picky eater like me!
guacamole

_________________________________________________________________________

Number 52: Upgrade to the latest iPhone...check! iPhone 4 is in my possession, and there is a big possibility that I may upgrade to the iPhone 5 before my 2 year contract is up. Gasp!
111

Turns out, iPhones are a lot like Honda cars. They hold their value really well. When my 2 year contract was up, I used my discount to purchase the iPhone 4 for $200. Then, I listed my old iPhone 3 (that's 2 models back, for you non-iPhoners) on Craigslist for $175. It was sold in about 20 minutes. Shoot...I should have listed it for more.

So, seeing as how I basically upgraded for free, I should easily be able to sell this iPhone the same way when the next one comes out, and my out of pocket should be less than an "upgrade" price anyways.

Mark my words: buy Hondas and iPhones if you don't wanna lose your stuff's value!
_________________________________________________________________________

Next, number 70: Try 5 new cupcake recipes out of my “Cupcakes! From The Cake Mix Doctor” book.

I've tried two new recipes so far from this book. I hate to say that although they were good, they do not compare to the Red Velvet cupcakes that were the first ones I made from the book. But, is there really such a thing as a bad cupcake?

The first ones I made were called Halloween Spider Cupcakes and they went like this:

2010-10-31

The next ones I made with my nieces Lindsay and Lori. We always bake when they come over, so this time we made Chocolate Cream Cheese cupcakes and it went something like this:
2011-05-21
Cracking the eggs is their favorite part.

They did come out yummy, but had a ganache "frosting" instead of a thick, sugary, sweet frosting and I think that's what I would have preferred. But we had no problem eating them anyways...even though I was out of milk!

_________________________________________________________________________

Number 74: Get new [matching] kitchen appliances. Check! We are still in the midst of redoing our kitchen, and so I'll talk more about it all when it's all finished and shareable, but you can now rest easy because instead of 4 kitchen appliances in 3 different colors, we now have 4 appliances in one, uniform color.
2011-05-29
Maybe I'll even take un-crappy pictures when I share the entire kitchen face lift with you!
_________________________________________________________________________

I think that brings my list up to date. Have you made a goal list yourself? How are you doing on it?
.
.

1 comment:

The Diniwilks said...

I am similarly screwed with the 101 books. Sigh. Can't wait for a kitchen post!!!