Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Textures

I have a major problem. And I've known it for a long time, but it's getting serious now.

I have a major aversion to funky food textures. I need solidarity, smoothness, and consistency in my food, and chunks and unexpected textures while I'm chewing nearly send me over the edge.

Today, for example, I am force feeding myself some cantaloupe and chanting while I chew "It's for the baby, it's for the baby, it's for the baby." It's not that cantaloupe is so bad, but it's a little squishy for me. And textures mean everything.

cantaloupe


Anyways, so I'm chugging along on my bowl of cantaloupe and it's going better than expected. Until, I throw a piece in my mouth that must have been from the outside of the cantaloupe and it's a bit tougher than the rest of it on one side. I nearly lost my cookies, er, cantaloupes.

It makes no sense, I know. When I think about it logically, the outside piece doesn't bother me at all. I mean, the outside piece on a pan of brownies is the best part! But, when I'm chewing along and get to that piece it throws me for a loop and I cannot think logically at this point. My throat says GAG GAG GAG and it won't go down. It must come out, and with this baby inside of me, I end up going one step further and hanging my head over my trash can at my desk for a few minutes. Luckily I was able to get it under control and didn't have my first incident at work.

This is the same reason that I prefer pureed salsa, and chunks of onion are the devil's work. They are so grainy and crunchy and can sneak up on you regardless of which type of food they are in.

So I'm thinking that the only way to get over this is to go with it. You can't argue with a gag reflex, right? And also, I'm thinking that my baby and I are going to have lots in common in a year or so. Both of us will be shopping in the same aisle at the grocery store.

dv2093024


I just pray that my baby isn't picky like me and they only have the desire eat baby food while he/she is actually a baby. (Side note: I don't actually want to eat baby food. But the smooth consistency does sound pretty tempting.)

Anyone else as crazy as me? Have any tips on how to make me normal? (I know that's a lot to ask!) What are your bizarre food issues?
.
.

5 comments:

Missy said...

You crack me up! But I can relate on the onion topic....I don't like the texture of onions therefore try to avoid them at all times unless they are chopped/minced up real fine!

Karen said...

Lacey, Cary has the SAME aversion to changes in texture...will not eat a casserole EVER, and prefers "smooth" salsa. Won't even eat pieces of tomatoes in his sauces like spaghetti or chili. I still make it the way I want it I just pick his out. (Aren't I a good wife?)

MillerMama said...

Dear Food Soul Mate,
I too hate chunks. Salsa is the number one offender, but I hate them in anything. My gourmet chef of a husband constantly chastises me for leaving piles of "chunks" on the side of my plate. And I hate cantalope. And seafood like crab or shrimp. It's squishy but chewy... *shudder* You want to go on a date sometime and eat pureed food together?

Jeff said...

I usually don't have a problem with texture, but sometimes I get a little psyched out about certain foods. When I tried escargot it actually tasted pretty good but I still had trouble because my mind couldn't get over the fact that it was a snail.

The Diniwilks said...

Smoothies are your friend! Not sure where you live, but we have Robek's around here. All kinds of fruit and veggie options, and I have them throw in a scoop of protein or extra vitamins for the fetus.

Hope you are feeling okay!