Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Weekend Project: Curb Appeal

A couple of weekends ago I decided that my front porch needed some more pizazz. It consisted of the following:
  • 2 pots of struggling mums flanking my front door
  • 3 hanging baskets full of leftover summer Begonias, which were also starting to struggle
  • 2 wicker chairs from Pier One, which had both seen a bit too much weather in their days
  • 2 ugly blue/green plaid cushions in those chairs
  • and 1 cute little, empty table between them
In other words, it all needed some work.

The flowers were easy. I always take down the hanging baskets during winter so I just dumped the flowers and stowed the hanging baskets away until next spring. I replaced the dying mums in the other pots with purple pansies and some other greenish plant that I'll have to re-ask my Mama the name of.

I then had leftover pansies so I made one more pot of them and I bought another cute basket of them to complete the flower part of the makeover.

009

But the chairs. Oh, the chairs. If you remember, I got them for $10/each from a garage sale a couple of years ago. They were originally from Pier 1 Imports, but they have since lost their luster. Weathered wicker is the worst and they needed a paint job badly.

See?
001

Yuck, huh? So, when I got a Saturday alone (meaning John was not home and therefore would not interfere [a.k.a. take over] my project), I went to Lowe's and purchased some spray paint. A deep red primer (mainly cause that's all they had) and what I thought would be a chocolate brown for the final color.

First step was to remove the cushions. And no, I wouldn't normally include this blatantly obvious step because I don't think the regular Life of Lacey reader is that dumb, but if I left it out then I wouldn't have a place to put this little fun fact: After removing the cushions, the next step is to remove the fork and instruction manual that have been mysteriously stowed here for God only knows how long. [JOOOHHHNNN!!!]

002
Honestly, I couldn't even make this stuff up.
 Then I started spray painting. And did you know that your finger really starts to cramp up after a while when spray painting? 'Cause it does. And you have to keep switching fingers when one finger tires out to another stronger finger. It took a team of fingers, but with a little perseverance and a little paint spillage, I made it through the primer coats.

2010-10-31

Next was the chocolate brown coat. But as I started spraying, it looked less chocolately and more brown-grey-ee. I don't know if it was because of my weird primer color or not, but I went with it. When it was done it looked 1000 times better than it did when I started and I kinda like the color even more than the chocolate brown I was originally going for. See for yourself:

006

Finally, after finishing both chairs and securing some new ill-fitting-but-will-suffice red cushions, I was ready to put it all together.

002

I quite like it and can't wait to Christmas-fy it in a couple of weeks! What do you think? Not bad for a little money, a couple finger cramps and the finding of a long lost fork!

4 comments:

The Beane's said...

Looks good girl!
And that is too funny that you found a fork! Wonder what the thought process was for that to end up there...

Missy said...

Chairs look great! Good job!

Andrea said...

I love projects!! Thanks for sharing this one!!! The porch looks great!!! Not to mention it looks like you could be an Ohio State fan...Drew would love it!! ;)

MillerMama said...

Looks good! Spray painting is the worst, isn't it? I can't wait until we start to beautify our porch, but it will probably have to wait until spring.