Tuesday, November 30, 2010

An Ornament A Year Keeps the Memories Clear

Have you heard 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Well, this is the Christmas version of that saying: An ornament a year keeps the memories clear. Make sure you quote me when you start using that one.

Each year growing up, each of us kids in my family got a personalized Christmas ornament. When decorating the Christmas tree every year, we would place our own ornaments on the tree and would be reminded of the year from which the ornament came. I know my brother and I each had a music note the year we were both in marching band, or I had a pink rocking horse on one of my very first Christmases, for example.

So, when John and I started getting our own Christmas trees I made sure to get us a personalized ornament for every year. I have tried to make sure that the ornament corresponds with whatever happened during the respective years, but some years were a stretch because nothing major happened.

For example, in 2005 [the year of our first Christmas tree] I purchased this ornament of two reindeer carrying a Christmas tree. This has to do with 2005 because this was the year that John and I dressed in reindeer costumes (including the leg warmers, of course) and carried our Christmas tree all the way home.
039

2006 was the year we must not have had much money, which led me to purchase this ugly snowman.

035

In 2007, we bought our first house and so this house ornament is quite fitting. I blurred our address, but if you must know what it said to get the full effect, it said 1234 Please Don't Stalk Me St.

033a

2008 was the year of the musical polka-dotted Christmas tree. It used to play 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' but now it sounds more like cats dying. This symbolizes er, uh, I've got nothing. 2008 must have been a year of nothingness.

038


2009 was easy...we got married! So this year's ornament was pretty self explanatory. It says 'Just Married' on the back window of the car since it's a little hard to read in this picture.

036

Which brings us to 2010. I was hoping to have another obvious ornament this year which included either a 3rd person or a bump of some sort, but that hasn't happened this year. So instead, I bought this house (without the little snowman in the window) and I drew two kitty cats in the upstairs windows after I brought it home.
Fullscreen capture 11292010 100221 PM
That was about three weeks ago. & if you noticed, We are actually not Bill and Maxine. And there is no little Tyler, and we aren't the Millers. (Narrowed it down a little bit for you, stalkers.) But, as it was a bit too early to hang my new ornament on a tree that didn't exist until just a couple of days ago, I stored this ornament in my pile of stuff by my desk in the mean time. Not the most organized place, but I knew where it was and where to find it when the time came.

So that time was Sunday, if you recall. I always like to hang my newest ornament of the year on the tree first. I came to my pile of stuff to retrieve 2010's ornament, and it was no where to be found. I searched in drawers and in closets but to no avail. That ornament must have sprouted legs and run away.

So I guess this is a good place to mention that I have a certain "roommate" [of the two-legged variety] that accidentally throws things away in his cleaning frenzies. It is the best estimate of what has happened to this ornament. But, he felt bad about it so he went and dug through the garbage to see if he could find it, but he did not. He did however find the bag it came in, and the postcard from the little shop was still in there. This led me to their website where I was able to order a replacement 2010 ornament in the same design.

So maybe 2010's ornament will have a story after all. If by chance the lost ornament turns up and we end up with two of the same ornament for this year, we'll always remember the story that led us to having two. & although it's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again, I hope this "roommate" of mine starts to learn his lesson. I'd hate to have to start screening all of the trash before it leaves the house!

garbagelegs

3 comments:

Joy said...

That was great! I need to take picture of ours too :-) love the trash can one! Kind of like the rusted tree we put on Mama's tree every year :-) you should start screening your trash...he would have a field day at our house! Ha!!

The Beane's said...

We do this too! I love being able to look back at the memories =)

Andrea said...

Love it!