Monday, November 1, 2010

A Monumental Anniversary

For our first anniversary, John and I wanted to take a weekend trip somewhere close-ish and somewhere that neither of us had ever been. Ultimately, we decided on Washington, DC after discovering that a Cirque du Soleil show was going to be playing there on our anniversary weekend. And if you remember my 101 list, you will know that this little trip then knocks off at least two items:
  • 11. Take a trip for our anniversary.
  • 14. See a show by Cirque de Soleil.
It could possibly even work for #12 - Visit a state I've never been to before, but, DC isn't in a state and even though we flew into Baltimore I don't think it should count. But, if it gets down to May 2013 and this item has yet to be marked off, then I may come back and change my mind. Besides, the Amtrak/MARC station in Baltimore was just beautiful and I can't imagine that Maryland has too much more to offer, right?

2010-10-24
We flew in early Friday morning and only had one thing on the agenda that day: Ovo by Cirque du Soleil at 4:00 p.m. Which, was a good thing because even though the show was only right outside of DC, it took a long time and a lot of energy to get there. But we did enjoy the scenery along the way through Old Town in Alexandria, VA, over the Potomac River, and finally through National Harbor, Maryland. To put it short, we did all of this in order to get from our hotel to the show -

In text:

Walk .4 miles to Metro, Take Metro 8 stops south, (Option here to take shuttle to river or to walk - we chose to walk since we wanted to stop for lunch) walk 1.1 miles to the river, take water taxi across the Potomac, and finally walk the last 1.3 miles to the show. & then to get back - you get the idea.

And in pictures:
2010-10-241
2010-10-242

And stupid me did not wear my tennis shoes because I thought there would be more shuttling and less walking so my feet were pretty upset with me. I didn't wear heels, but I did wear some flats with minimal support. Boo.

That was Friday in a nutshell. Ovo was Omazing, in case you were wondering. I don't think there are any bad Cirque shows, though.

So Saturday was our day to do the things that you have to do in Washington, DC just because you are there. Such as monuments and museums and such. I was worried that we'd both be bored with this, because it's just not our cup of tea but we gave it a good shot anyways. We saw the main monuments, attempted a museum and called it a day. We didn't want to make our anniversary weekend too much like a field trip - and museums and monuments are not at the top of our fun list.

2010-10-243

But we have the pictures to prove we attempted it, and then went back to the hotel for a nap, a swim in the indoor pool and then some time in the hot tub to soothe our aching feet.

With an early flight Sunday morning, we spent the rest of the night by grabbing dinner at a local pub, and then watching the baseball game to finish up the night.

Hopefully we will be able to keep up this tradition of visiting a new place with each year's anniversary. And next time, it'll be even more great if I remember to pack my flat iron and hairbrush!

4 comments:

MillerMama said...

Sounds like you guys had a great trip! Happy anniversary! We had the same plan and went to Nashville for our 1st anniversary but didn't have much fun :(

(Those cupcakes look yummy, by the way!)

Andrea said...

Looks like a great time!!! I love your blog page...it's just so darn pretty! Also- don't forget to add tennis shoes to the packing trip next time also! :)

Anonymous said...

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

Andrea said...

Aw I'm glad you enjoyed DC! The National Harbor is quite a trip from DC, you would think it would be easy, being so close! Your blog is hilarious, I love the pics!