Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 23: Parisian Sweet 16

This is the twenty-third day of 'Lacey's More Funner 30 Days of Blogging' which I talked about here. The end is in sight....

DAY 23: WRITE ABOUT YOUR FIRST TRIP ABROAD


When I was 15 years old, I took off on my very first flight which just so happened to be across the Atlantic Ocean to London, England. I was going on a tour of Europe with a small group of people from my high school over spring break of my sophomore year. On the itinerary: London, England; Paris, France; Lucerne, Switzerland; and apparently The Black Forest in Germany, although I may or may not have slept through that part.

Also, I would be turning 16 while on this trip in none other than Paris...only one of the best cities in the world! Sweet 16, indeed!

We started in London and saw all the basics: Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Picadilly Circus, etc.


But here are the things I remember most:

  • It rained everyday and my new white-based tennis shoes were ruined at the very beginning of the trip.
  • The hotel rooms are tiny. So are the windows that we snuck out of to go onto the roof.
  • I was so in love with the fast pace of the city and especially the tube...it was my first subway ride ever!
  • All the lights and people at Picadilly Circus at night are exhilarating!

I could definitely live there, I think!


From London, we took the Eurostar to Paris. If I was starry eyed enough in London, Paris was just the same if not worse. Another city I could live in...well, maybe if they changed their national language to English.

What I remember most about Paris is this:

  • The chocolate crêpes are absolutely amazing. And they sell them at carts around the city much like we have hot dogs at carts in my city of Charlotte. I would much rather have a crêpe cart.
  • I celebrated my 16th birthday at the palace of Versailles with a few close friends...can you find me?

  • (our small group of 9 were on the tour with groups from two other high schools)

  • The Eiffel Tower at the time had a countdown on it for how many days were left until the new millennium. On the night we climbed it, there were 629.


  • I correctly ordered a four-cheese pizza for a few of us at lunch one day with my limited french: quatre fromages.

Next stop: Lucerne, Switzerland.

Lucerne is a small tourist city in the middle of the Alps. There are a few main touristy things to do here: 1) ride the gondolas up Mt. Pilatus, 2) visit the Lion Monument and 3) shop for cuckoo clocks. We did all 3.




We also went to a fondue restaurant for dinner one night where there was yodeling, dancing and people (not us) chugging large mugs of beer in contests on the stage. We had such a good time this night!

From there, we took a bus through the Black Forest in Germany (zzzzzzzzzzz) and finally ended up in Heidelberg. I think we were only here for the last day, so I don't remember too much from here. I do know that the hotel rooms had awesome windows that opened out and we were dangling our legs out of our 4th or 5th floor hotel room!



I'm pretty sure that we also went to a castle that housed the largest keg in the world in Germany. Now that's fun, right??

(after some googling, turns out I was almost right. We went to the Heidelberg Castle in, well, Heidelberg, which houses "the second largest keg in the world." Bummer. To think I had already crossed that off of my life list.)

So that was a nice little jaunt through Europe for you, right?

And when I got home I told my parents that I loved it so much that I HAD to take them there one day. And in 2007 I was able to fulfill my wish. Although I didn't ($$$) take them there, I did my best to take-them-around there. It was even more amazing as an adult and on my second time around.

If you can go, I highly recommend it...au revoir, mes amis!

1 comment:

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/