Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 21: Sweet Southern Goodness

This is the twenty-first day of 'Lacey's More Funner 30 Days of Blogging' which I talked about here. The end is in sight....

DAY 21: WRITE ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE DESSERT

"How on Earth will I ever choose?", is the first thing that comes to mind. I ♥ everything to do with desserts...excluding desserts that include fruit - cause healthy fruit does not belong in desserts!

So there's chocolate cake, yellow cake (think: birthday cake with butter cream icing), turtle brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cheesecake....the list goes on and on.


But, I think I'm going to go with something else: the classic Pecan Pie.


When ordering dessert at a restaurant, my criteria for picking which one I would like goes like this:

1) Is there pecan pie? If yes, order it.
2) If no, go with something chocolate.

I've really only been loving this dessert for the past 5 years or so, although pecans and I have been in love all my life. My grandmother, Manu (pronounced mah-new, FYI), used to send bags of pecans home with us that had fallen from her tree. I would sit in the kitchen floor with these bags with newspaper spread all around (to try and contain my mess) and crack and eat pecans to my little heart's desire. See, pecans and I go way back.

But, the pie always looked iffy to me. As someone that has a major problem with the texture of foods, pecan pie looked too mushy to give it a try. But, one Thanksgiving my sister Joy made a pecan pie that didn't look quite as mushy, and, it was heavenly. We've been together ever since and now I can even handle some mush!

But the very best slice I ever did have was just 74 days ago at a restaurant in Charlotte, NC. If you are ever in the neighborhood and love pecan pie as much as I do...you must try the 'Chocolate Pecan Pie' at Mimosa Grill. Heavenly, I tell you.

As for making them, I find them a bit tricky. I usually just go with this recipe which does not use corn syrup (which most do) so it is way easier and way less likely that I will screw it up, but tasty just the same! But, after having the slice from Mimosa, I think I'm going to need to find a recipe for a chocolate pecan pie instead.

Have ya got one, by chance?

P.S. I am left wondering how you are pronouncing "pecan" while reading this...are you saying "pee-can", "pee-cahn" or "puh-cahn"? I go with "pee-cahn" myself...it's like the best of both worlds!

No comments: