Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Disproving the Blonde Stereotype

Okay blondes, you can thank me later. But, the "dumb" stereotype associated with your hair color has officially been disproved once and for all. I, Lacey, am not blonde by any stretch of the imagination. And, as a pretty dark brunette and almost the furthest thing from a blonde, you'd think I'd be pretty smart based on the stereotype (which I am, thank you). But the last 2 days I have had to laugh at myself and the dumb things I think sometimes. For example...

I tend to get addicted to various Facebook games from time to time. Not farmville, thank goodness, but first there was Pathwords, and then Bejeweled Blitz, and now I've moved on to Family Feud. (And for the record, I haven't ever published anything from these games like so many facebook gamers do...EXCEPT, for Family Feud's bonus round, and as soon as it's complete I delete the post because it clutters up my Facebook wall. :))

Anyways, Family Feud is played just like it is on TV, with 4 different rounds and then a 'Fast Money' bonus round. During 'Fast Money', you are given 50 seconds to answer 5 questions with the most popular answer. Then, you can ask a friend to do the second round of 'Fast Money' in an attempt to get over 200 points.

Yesterday, my first question was: Name something you associate with the three musketeers.

I answered: Larry

I don't know a thing about the three musketeers because I've never watched it, but I thought I at least knew their names. So I just typed 'Larry' figuring I would at least get a couple of points. [on second thought, I should have said 'candy bar'. Oh well.]
But turns out, the three musketeers aren't Larry, Curly and Moe at all. They have really dumb names like Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.

I never even would have realized the error in my ways, but my friend Matt that did my second round of 'Fast Money' thought it was ridiculous enough to ask me about it. Who knew!?



Today, I was doing some research on a possible vacation that John and I might take with a couple of our friends. John's coworker had recently told him of a really cool place that they went in Mexico so I decided I would google it to see what I could come up with.

Only problem was that I couldn't remember the name of the place. Not very surprising, right? BUT, I did remember that when John called and told me about it, he said the word sounded like Bat Mitzvah (I thought) so it would be easier to just remember that word since the city name was very similar.

Sure, I could've just asked John again for the name of the place, but I like a challenge. And I do think I'm a pretty darn good Googler. So, since the coworker said it was an excursion they took from a cruise, I decided I would just google cruise ports in Mexico and look for a city nearby that looked like it could sound like 'Bat Mitzvah'. Easy enough, right?

Well, my googling was coming up short. I even scanned a map of Mexico to see if I saw something that sounded familiar. But nothing. WHAT was the name of it?

I broke down and asked John.

He replied.

It was Mazatlán, which he said sounds like Mazel Tov! Silly Jewish words have me all confused!

1 comment:

Joy said...

LOL!!! I can now start making fun of you like you did me growing up :-) I thought for sure you would mention your two little angel nieces getting all 3's on their report cards to disprove the dumb blonde stereotypes! LOL!!