Friday, June 19, 2009

PSA

Hurry, everyone buy one of these laptop privacy sweaters!

Yesterday I panicked. I was reading some public forums on the internets and came across someone bullying someone else on there. She was e-yelling at this other girl and said to her, "I googled your screen name and know where you live, have tons of pictures of you, etc. etc." As interesting as it was to read, it made me realize something. The internets are not safe, yo! I had never thought to do this, but I then googled my own screen name. I was completely shocked!

I don't know about you, but my memory can only handle remembering so many screen names, user names, passwords, secret questions, site keys, etc. So I typically use the same screen name for everything. Maybe not the best idea I've ever had. But hey, hindsight is 20/20.

So googling myself led to this:

First, I put all of my pictures on a photo sharing website and kept all of the albums public. I didn't want my friends to have the hassle of logging in every single time. What kind of friend would I be if I did that? So, upon googling, I discovered all 71 un-private albums. And did you know that I had to go into each and every album and change the settings from public to private for every single one? That's 71 times, for those of you not good at math!


All I could think of was something crazy ridiculous happening to myself or my family, say, like one of us running for president, and those crazy media peeps going through all of my pictures looking for some dirt until they see this one:
....and plastering it all over newspapers, magazines, and billboards. Disgracing my family completely because I am sitting on a plastic paint bucket drinking a beer with the illegal Mexican next door neighbors who no habla ingles. NOT good press at all for daughter/sister/aunt to be mingling with the illegals!

Next, I found reviews I posted of the various activities my parents and I did on our trip to Alaska last year. I guess this one isn't a dangerous, because, well, we aren't still in Alaska so they can keep searching the Godwin Glacier Dogsled place but we're not there anymore! Suckers! But still! I post reviews on things to be of help to others, but I do it anonymously. If I knew I could be traced to my reviews, I wouldn't be reviewing!

Then, on a local website for Charlotte's nightlife, I found the most embarrassing thing yet. Apparently, allegedly, supposedly, seemingly, I was a bit bitter after my break-up with my old boyfriend. When he showed up in a picture on this website because he was out having fun at a bar AFTER we broke up (I know, how could he possibly have ANY fun after we broke up??) I may have, allegedly, apparently, supposedly, seemingly commented on his picture that he was a loser. But that might not have been me, I may have been set up!

So, what I'm trying to say is the internets are not safe! Privatize everything....facebook, myspace, photo sharing sites, etc.

What about this blog, you may ask? Well, duh, have you been reading at all? I'm not making this private! What kind of friend would I be if I made you log in every single time you wanted to read my words of wisdom?

And for those of you acronymly challenged, PSA = Public Service Announcement.
You can't tell me my blog isn't educational!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Amen Sista!!
LOL!!